Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 06:23 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes. I never worried about those things until this past year. Maybe it was watching the person I loved (who was 7 years older than me) take his last breath after a nearly two-year decline that made me more sensitive. I don't know.

I walk in a park that includes wooded trails, and a couple of times I've tripped on tree roots. Never fell, but for the first time, I have started to think about what might happen if I do. Same with going to the city and climbing stairs in and out if the trains/subway, thinking about how if I was ever caught in another bomb or fire situation I would not be able to run or escape so easily as I did the other times.

I don't like thinking this way at all, but NOT thinking this way isn't a good idea, either.
All true, but we can take some actions to decrease the likelihood of serious injury from a fall, or to be more able to take an evasive action, by constantly working on our strength and fitness.

I know plenty of 80-somethings that are still strong and active. Even so eventually there will come a time when they too will have to forgo activities like hiking rough trails or biking. Point is that most people can forestall that time for years by moderate exercise and good nutrition.

Now that I am retired I am in the best physical condition of my adult life. Moving from sitting in front of a computer screen 10 hours a day fueled by caffeine to being physically active and having the time to regularly exercise has made a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 06:39 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
All true, but we can take some actions to decrease the likelihood of serious injury from a fall, or to be more able to take an evasive action, by constantly working on our strength and fitness.

I know plenty of 80-somethings that are still strong and active. Even so eventually there will come a time when they too will have to forgo activities like hiking rough trails or biking. Point is that most people can forestall that time for years by moderate exercise and good nutrition.

Now that I am retired I am in the best physical condition of my adult life. Moving from sitting in front of a computer screen 10 hours a day fueled by caffeine to being physically active and having the time to regularly exercise has made a huge difference.
My observation has been that many people who are healthy in their 60s continue to be throughout much of their 70s, but by 80, most people are slowing down, and that by the mid-80s there is usually some noticeable level of physical or cognitive impairment.

3/4 of my grandparents were doing pretty well up until about 80. By then, there were some notable physical slowdowns, and in one case, obvious developing dementia. By 85, 2/3 had physical or mental impairments that were really impacting day-to-day life - all three of them weren't really able to function completely independently. The grandmother-grandfather pair died within two weeks of each other last month. The remaining grandmother is mentally OK, but frail, no longer drives, and needs a good bit of assistance doing basic errands and housework.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:22 AM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
IMO, the biggest thing you can is make sure any wishes are done correctly from a legal standpoint and that there is no ambiguity.

My family has been through hell with two late 80s demented grandparents who had no will, no one had financial or medical POA, nothing done but burial plots purchased. Tons of things have happened, but who knows if this was ever really according to their wishes. It doesn’t matter now because decisions had to be made, but they put their kids behind the eight ball big time by having nothing done.
Their kids should have seen to it that all the legal issues were completed. The kids are the ones who have to deal with legalities after death.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:39 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Their kids should have seen to it that all the legal issues were completed. The kids are the ones who have to deal with legalities after death.
She had pretty bad dementia for a number of years, and he was dismissive of ever dying. He was a 50+ year alcoholic, had several severe health issues that he bounced back from very well, and just a difficult to deal with (at best) guy all around.

Six months ago, he would get physically combative with hospital staff anytime he was in there. He was spitting on the GP at one appointment.

You can't really make a guy like that do anything. She was hell on wheels before the dementia herself. She ended up becoming more docile, but that was because of the dementia symptoms.

About all that could be done was get conservatorship and go from there. The kids can't be expected to handle everything for incompetent/demented parents.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:49 AM

7,089 posts, read 4,521,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Kids can’t make their parents do anything. Luckily in my family we are realistic and plan for old age. No one escapes death and being in denial doesn’t help. My parents set a good example of how to prepare and I have done the same.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:09 AM

33,227 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I stay in good shape, I do a lot of stretching/yoga. I try not to do stupid things where the chance of injury is higher (ie: me skiing).

I don't really think there is much more I can do. Stuff happens.

/she says the week before white water rafting
You could add some weight training to your routine which will keep your muscles and your bones strong. And not only maintain, but actually increase your strength. I firmly believe that you can keep getting stronger no matter how old you become, barring any illnesses and such.

Old 08-07-2023, 02:02 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
Ice and snow up here for several months. A few years back I stepped out onto the porch not knowing it had iced over. It was literally like someone pulled a rug out from under my feet. Oddly and fortunately, I landed flat on my back which seemed to realign my spine. I felt great for days, lol.

More recently I was on the patio wiping down the grill and accidentally stepped down, sideways. I fell right to the ground. No injury, but man was that a wake-up call.

Like Mick Jagger (octogenarian) likes to point out, “What a drag it is getting old.”

Old 08-07-2023, 02:25 PM

7,769 posts, read 3,798,128 times
As a reader in Virginia writes: “Keep traveling now when you are young and able. You can organize your photos when you are 85.”

Old 08-07-2023, 03:04 PM

491 posts, read 324,474 times
I'm 62 and I haven't had any falls. I played a lot of sports when younger and I've taken about 8 years of Taekwondo, so my balance is pretty good. I'm not worried about falling and if I do, I think I'll be okay. I know things can change over time.

I did take a little aikido and the one useful thing I remember from that is learning how to do a forward roll. Here's a video showing how to do it. I didn't even check my footwork when I did it - the main thing is to get your arm in the proper position. Your arm actually absorbs the impact so you don't hurt your shoulder or clavicle.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DYYce-c5QlA

Old 08-07-2023, 03:09 PM

88,559 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post

Well, YEAH, that's why I am walking in the woods in the first place. My point was that I am just more aware of what could happen now than I used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement