Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 03:24 PM

11,564 posts, read 6,041,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OK, I'll bite: Why do you think you're going to have a stroke?
I was just being momentarily pessimistic. A dibilitating stroke is my biggest fear. If I die from it, then that is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 04:18 PM

2,607 posts, read 2,299,279 times
I am 68 years old, and started playing pickle ball in January. My knee started to hurt, and long story short, I had surgery yesterday for a torn meniscus and baker’s cyst. I live alone, so the after care is up to me. I will be out for at least 8 weeks. I am looking at a knee replacement and hip replacement in the future.
I know I am lucky this is all I have to deal with, but I hate sitting home all day with nothing to do.

Old 08-10-2023, 04:54 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I am 68 years old, and started playing pickle ball in January. My knee started to hurt, and long story short, I had surgery yesterday for a torn meniscus and baker’s cyst. I live alone, so the after care is up to me. I will be out for at least 8 weeks. I am looking at a knee replacement and hip replacement in the future.
I know I am lucky this is all I have to deal with, but I hate sitting home all day with nothing to do.
Living where you do, there's going to be readily available Uber service to get you around town, assuming you can get in and out of the car.

Old 08-10-2023, 06:58 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,984,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Did your surgeon mention anything about rehab?

I had a baker's cyst. I would hobble along like a weathered cowboy who's been kicked by a horse once too often.

Old 08-11-2023, 06:04 AM

2,607 posts, read 2,299,279 times
I did not take the narcotics for pain, so I am able to drive my car. But I am still not recovered enough to go grocery shopping. I had to depend on the kindness of neighbors to take me to the surgery at 5:30am! My biggest issue is taking care of my two cats, one has pancreatitis and isn’t doing well. Feeding them and scooping litter is a little difficult, but I am managing.

I start physical therapy next week, and I am doing at home exercises. The Baker’s cyst is caused by the meniscus tear, so my doctor said it should get better. I don’t know how bad the meniscus tear was until I see my doctor post op. He said he probably would have to remove it, which will cause my arthritis to get worse.
Donna

Old 08-11-2023, 09:59 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
I have read about injuries incurred in pickle ball. Sounds like tennis to me, on the joints and knees.

I am at peace with giving up horseback riding after getting bucked off. Closure with having ridden all this time. Not as much giving up bike riding but fear a fall too much and absolutely staying out of traffic.

At 70, I had a low bone density test recently and am beginning calcium/Vit. D supplements. Five years ago, all was fine.

Old 08-12-2023, 09:09 AM

11,564 posts, read 6,041,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have read about injuries incurred in pickle ball. Sounds like tennis to me, on the joints and knees.

I am at peace with giving up horseback riding after getting bucked off. Closure with having ridden all this time. Not as much giving up bike riding but fear a fall too much and absolutely staying out of traffic.

At 70, I had a low bone density test recently and am beginning calcium/Vit. D supplements. Five years ago, all was fine.
It is amazing how fast we decline physically.

That old "60 is the new 40" is BS. 60 is still old. 70 is still really old. 80 is still ancient. DNA insures that our cells are not being replaced at a 1:1 as we age, and it gets worse with time.

Yes, 5 years can make a world of difference between. It can be "I struggle to do that now", or it can be "I just can't do that now".

I should exercise. If you don't exercise, you "get old".

Old 08-12-2023, 01:06 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,661,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is amazing how fast we decline physically.

That old "60 is the new 40" is BS. 60 is still old. 70 is still really old. 80 is still ancient. DNA insures that our cells are not being replaced at a 1:1 as we age, and it gets worse with time.

Yes, 5 years can make a world of difference between. It can be "I struggle to do that now", or it can be "I just can't do that now".

I should exercise. If you don't exercise, you "get old".
Yeah! Everything was great in the late 50s....somehow hitting 60 was like stepping off a cliff re health. Even 5 years ago I was a lot "steadier" and stronger. Despite daily exercises. Really dreading what the next 5 years are going to bring....much less 10 years. But probably won't get that far, lol.

Old 08-12-2023, 01:10 PM

7,651 posts, read 3,284,882 times
You guys focus on root causes instead of age. Some things can be fixed and/or mitigated regardless of age. You can always gain muscle until the day you die (for instance). Yes, we grow old, get sick and die. But, there's no reason to throw your hands up in the air and just claim every little thing is age related. You must focus intently on eating for nutrition. You cannot eat twinkies for breakfast and sandwiches and beer for lunch and pizza for dinner. You have to get more protein and more supplementation. You have to get smarter.

Old 08-12-2023, 01:12 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,661,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

I hate giving up horseback riding too! That's "who I was"; felt kind of lost after that. I hope I can get peace about that, and giving up kayaking and rough-terrain hiking. I might ride a bike on the beach 'cause sand is soft, but still a bit worried about that. Can't even toss the dang frisbee 'cause it dinged up all my nails and they've never been the same. Now sun-sensitive too! Sheesh....what is left!

Yes, I'm frustrated, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement