Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 10:54 AM

959 posts, read 544,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Thank you for that info. I didn't know QM2 did that kind of shorter cruises. But now that it seems their prices are well within the realm of what I would actually pay, I am getting all psyched about crossing the Atlantic :-).
I think they do 7 dayers for Independence Day lately, but we did this cruise in 2017. They also have 12 dayers to Southern Caribbeans in November-December. Not sure it is a good choice. This ship is an ocean liner, not much of open deck space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 11:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,761 posts, read 58,170,577 times
Too bad this 3yr trip was cancelled, lots of people stuck without funds, or place to live

Life at Sea...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...d/71693728007/

Became obvious this was gonna fail, since they didn't have a ship.

I would have to think there are a lot of idle cruise ships, and a big player (existing cruise company) could successfully do this.

I would prefer a series of ships spaced out by 3 months, so you could explore different places while enroute. We have the scheduling technology to do this. Now for the passenger loads.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:27 AM

7,673 posts, read 3,305,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Too bad this 3yr trip was cancelled, lots of people stuck without funds, or place to live

Life at Sea...

I would have to think there are a lot of idle cruise ships, and a big player (existing cruise company) could successfully do this.

I would prefer a series of ships spaced out by 3 months, so you could explore different places while enroute. We have the scheduling technology to do this. Now for the passenger loads.

Yes, it's a cautionary tale. People sold their homes and made major changes. Crazy.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:30 AM

21,985 posts, read 13,038,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yes, it's a cautionary tale. People sold their homes and made major changes. Crazy.
Well, I'm always one to "watch and wait" (usually to a ridiculous degree). I'd be way too cautious and skeptical to sink everything into a maiden voyage and was just going to follow it and see what happened with this cruise.

Now we know!

I would still be interested, though, if they ever worked out all the kinks. Someone with no ties or obligations back home would be the perfect candidate for this, and that's me.

Old 11-27-2023, 04:48 PM

8,394 posts, read 4,416,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Life at Sea...

Wow, incredible . I hope these folks will get their money back by February. At least I think Istambul is probably interesting enough for a 4-month stay while they are waiting. I assume they have insured their trip, but I can't imagine dealing with an insurance company about this kind of money loss, in case the cruise company doesn't manage to refund it. This story will get around, not good publicity for extended cruises. Ok, I guess I should cross out any possible idea of living on a cruise ship in very advanced age, along with crossing out the idea of living in San Francisco at that age (see my other 250 recent posts in other Retirement threads :-).

Old 11-27-2023, 05:15 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Maybe people still remember what happened.
Titanic? Lusitania? COVID? The death of Pierre Franey on the QE2 while giving a shipboard cooking demonstration? That broke my heart. I was a fan.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:24 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
If I do QM2, I'll fly to London and hang out for some time, then take a train to Southampton, and sail to the US. I want to sail into the NY harbor at the end of the trip!
A cheaper way to do that is to go to Monmouth County, NJ, and take the Ferry out of Belford, in Monmouth County, which goes up the Hudson to the west side of Manhattan. An hour and fifteen minutes, $28 one way, $49 round trip.

You miss out on London, but there's a lot to do here, too.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:31 PM

11,152 posts, read 9,789,597 times
Quote:
I want so badly now to get on that ship!
Here you go!

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/cruise-...tlantic-cruise

An inside cabin is pretty cheap, but as a single, you'd pay about 170% of the listed rate due to the single supplement. The nearest dates are all but sold out.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A cheaper way to do that is to go to Monmouth County, NJ, and take the Ferry out of Belford, in Monmouth County, which goes up the Hudson to the west side of Manhattan. An hour and fifteen minutes, $28 one way, $49 round trip.

You miss out on London, but there's a lot to do here, too.
Hmm, good suggestion, thank you. Yes, different from crossing the Atlantic, but I'll nevertheless file away the info for possible use

Old 11-27-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Here you go!

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/cruise-...tlantic-cruise

An inside cabin is pretty cheap, but as a single, you'd pay about 170% of the listed rate due to the single supplement. The nearest dates are all but sold out.
Thank you, I will study it in detail. Wow, storms in the Atlantic are the worst in summer and early fall? I learn something new and unexpected every day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement