Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2023, 06:34 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times

Advertisements

I decluttered like you wouldn't believe and installed two grab bars outside the shower wall. I had large partially under living room furniture area rugs put in and under the dinner table this prevents a lot of slipping on bare floors and less mopping. I bought a new vacuum cleaner that is much easier to use. Got a step stool to get into the insanely high bed that helps me not hurt my ankle trying to push myself onto the mattress. Had my shower head removed and replaced it with one of those kind that has the bar so I can move it up and down lower when sitting on a chair in the shower.

That is all I can recall so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 06:39 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
From the above post--anyone know where you can get cushions that are firm? These couches and recliners that you sink way back into are not comfortable and probably not too good for your back. I like my leather love seat and recliner and am not looking to replace them but they are so deep. I keep finding cushions that are soft but no cushions that offer any support? Brand names? Places to buy them?
I don't know if this helps but I found this on Google:

What is the firmest type of foam?
Differences & Similarities Between Foam Density, Weight ...
The higher the ILD number, the more force is applied, and thus the firmer the foam. Most foams have an ILD between 15 and 70. However, foam can go even higher, with Charcoal and Closed Cell foam that we sell here at Foamonline.com having an ILD 90 and Rebond foam having an ILD 150.Apr 15, 2020

Differences & Similarities Between Foam Density, Weight & Firmness

foamonline.com
https://foamonline.com › blog › differences-similarities-b...

Old 08-30-2023, 06:49 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,203,799 times
What are the items/item that you bought for your house that has made your life easier as a senior? ??? A younger woman But technically this was not a 'bought' situation.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:05 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I just remembered a few more that have helped me:

The riding mower. Now what was once a chore is actually fun!

A pad for kneeling when working on something low.

A long handled electric pruning shear, saving me from ladders.
You're a genius! I never know what to get my spouse. The electric pruning shear would be perfect for all the yard work at the Scottsdale house. Especially all those pesky vines...

Old 08-30-2023, 07:16 PM

22,563 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I do not care for benches installed in the shower. Who gets to clean the underside?
No underside if it is boxed in. Just the seat and the front.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:45 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No underside if it is boxed in. Just the seat and the front.
If it does not do the job - rehome it.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:04 PM

1,380 posts, read 721,367 times
Great ideas.

I am taking care of a friend's plants while he is away. When I went to pick up keys and get info about plants, I made a big mental note... pick up feet in this apt. My friend, who is a bit fussy, has beautiful area rugs and they are sitting on VERY thick rug pads. I had to watch where I walked very carefully. The difference between the hardwood flooring and the rugs must be at least 1/4 in. Every available space had a rug, a runner... heavens! Thankfully, I only have to go over there a few times but will have to be aware of where I step.

I had a really bad fall from getting up fast from bed, not having my foot totally in my slipper and caught the end of a rug and went flying, literally, and crashed straight down on my knees. I was stunned by it and even more stunned that I came out of it unscathed except for amazing bruises. I haven't gotten rid of the rugs yet, but I am going minimal and will get rid of all of them.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:05 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
From the above post--anyone know where you can get cushions that are firm? These couches and recliners that you sink way back into are not comfortable and probably not too good for your back. I like my leather love seat and recliner and am not looking to replace them but they are so deep. I keep finding cushions that are soft but no cushions that offer any support? Brand names? Places to buy them?
Yep. Back in 1990 my wife had a custom couch made for us in Miami. We liked to rest heads on opposite ends of the couch and interlock legs while watching TV. (Hey, your hang-ups are not mine!) Part of what made that work was having cushions that didn't wimp out. That couch and cushions are STILL going strong, even though the fabric has faded and the pillows are long gone.

The company that makes custom foam mattresses makes a decent foam that can last for years. After a dozen years, I've replaced mine with a new one and am trying to figure out what to do with a 6" deep king size slab of foam that STILL would make decent couch backing and seats. Part of the trick is to wrap the foam in a cotton batting that keeps sweat and chemicals from it. I've washed the (zippered) cushion covers from that sofa many times, so I know how it was made.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:31 PM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
We have a barrier free shower, no ridge to step over, and both of us need this as we age. In the shower we put a round stand alone shower seat, where the seat part can rotate, a feature that’s proved useful. The shower itself is one of those towers. We only use the rain forest shower head, and the hand held shower. Although there also is a bucket filler spout on the bottom that’s been useful for things like filling a container for Epsom salt soaking. No grab bars yet but we’ve been talking about doing that soon.

In my bedroom I have an apple HomePod to turn music, lights and a fan on and off. Don’t need in the other rooms, but don’t want to stumble around when I’m tired at night, or just waking up.

All toilets are comfort height.

Just wrote about putting in a stairlift, very happy with it.

Bench at door to sit while dealing with boots in winter.

Installed sidewalk and railing between house and garage for walking safety in winter.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:53 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Not an idea for furniture - but having a floor drain in the bathroom(s) and kitchen have merit. Any spills can safely drain away, and not ruin the subfloor, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement