Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 10:59 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

For regular desk work, a "kneeling chair" is great. The better (& more expensive) models are easier to adjust / customize to your own body type. But if you "fit" a generic one, save $$$.

https://yoomemm.com/products/yoomemm...le-ydm-1458-2d

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 11:01 AM

Another view on Japanese bathrooms - including public washrooms. WHOA. Makes American versions look provincial...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXgdOfbQvs

Old 08-30-2023, 11:04 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
I bought a 855 sq ft condo that’s perfect for me and my 2 little dogs. I had a high toilet installed and got rid of my glass baking dishes as they were getting too heavy. All outside yard work and maintenance is done so I now have the easy life.

Old 08-30-2023, 11:04 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I already mentioned using drafting stools. You can find them in "husky" sizes (up to 450 lb capacity).

I didn't know what a drafting stool is, lol.

This is going to sound triviai, but I usually eat in my living room so I can watch the big screen tv (I don't have the open floor plan, my house is old), so I bought a black tray with legs in an L-shape which go under the couch so you can pull it right up to you and eat without bending forward like you need to do with a wood tray with straight legs and I love it. I purchased it in BBBY, but it's closed now.

Last edited by wp169; 08-30-2023 at 12:01 PM..

Old 08-30-2023, 11:05 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
No outside sourced TV.

Long story short, I get to pick what I want to watch, what I find entertaining, without having to search for it as oppose to this world trying to force me to take what passes for entertainment these days.

Old 08-30-2023, 11:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Another accommodation I will have in the "next" house - a bar height dining table (42") and stools. Much easier to get off a stool than up from a standard chair. If you can't find a sturdy high stool, check out drafting table stools, with good backrests and strong frames.

Plus, they're great for buffets and doing table work while standing.

"New" Trendy item : couch bars... or bar couches? Sofa tables ?
Basically, behind your couch, you place a matching bar height (42") table, so you can eat/watch TV. Or have a large crowd watching sporting events, etc.

Good ideas but the grab bar on the table is an accident waiting to happen. Floor to ceiling pole mounted grab bars, sofa grab bars come in a varieto of colors and finishes.

Old 08-30-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Good ideas but the grab bar on the table is an accident waiting to happen. Floor to ceiling pole mounted grab bars, sofa grab bars come in a varieto of colors and finishes.
LOL - that was a "decorative" feature - not to be used.

I learned of the couch table while searching on "capsules" / "pods".
This combo bunk bed / futon / desk / TV pod is a solo nook. The frame simplifies adding hand holds / rails, too.
Would be great for the grandkids.
https://odditymall.com/pod-bed-ultimate-gaming-bed

Old 08-30-2023, 11:30 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Probably too late for this now, but I dearly wish our kitchen cabinets were more reachable for me. The low ones I can't squat down enough to reach (joint replacements) and the upper ones are too high for me to reach even at 5'6" height. The reacher tool can't handle heavier items like cans. I don't know what the answer to this is, other than having DH reach everything for me. Just so frustrating.

I'm not getting on a stepstool on the ceramic tile floor, either. I need that to get into our high bed, lol. The tile floor does scare me, but I don't know what the answer is there either. Area rugs are worse re tripping, etc. Carpet is not a thing here. I fell once on some spilled water.

Luckily, our condo was built with extra-wide hardwood doors, so that was handy when I had a walker after surgery.

The extra-high chairs are great, too. We have those on the balcony and the view is better as you can see over the railing while seated. I don't know why everyone doesn't have those.

Extra-high toilets are a real benefit too. Oh, and lever handles on doors instead of knobs. Big help at any age.

Old 08-30-2023, 11:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
........ Oh, and lever handles on doors instead of knobs. Big help at any age.
That's part of my house design, with the extra wide passages and doors incase I ever become disabled.

Old 08-30-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Probably too late for this now, but I dearly wish our kitchen cabinets were more reachable for me. The low ones I can't squat down enough to reach (joint replacements) and the upper ones are too high for me to reach even at 5'6" height. The reacher tool can't handle heavier items like cans. I don't know what the answer to this is, other than having DH reach everything for me. Just so frustrating.
For lower cabinets, get easy-pull drawers installed, so you don't have to squat down or reach inside.

You could also retask an appliance lift with a shelf / basket.

For upper cabinets, they do make "pull down" inserts.
https://www.amazon.com/Whifea-Pull-D...dp/B07XFBXB2H/

and "pull out" pantries on wheels.
https://www.amazon.com/Shelving-Orga...dp/B06XKLCWBL/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement