Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 11:54 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealcup View Post
Hi, we are moving in to a newly built home. Our new single story house is in a 55 plus community and is about 1800 ft.². We sold and donated all of our furniture in our previous house rather than pay to ship it 2000 miles and so are starting out fresh. We are currently considering furniture, blinds, drapes and that sort of thing for home. We are seeking items that will make our lives easier while growing older. Beyond having a couple grab bars in the bathroom installed we have not purchases anything else age related. I am 62 and my husband is 70. Both in good health. I am wondering what piece of furniture or appliance or what have you that people have bought that have made their life a lot easier or happier.
I am taking care of my 90 year old aunt and the best thing I have spent money on (too much money) is redoing the master bath to have a walk in shower with a built in bench and grab bars on the wall. It will be good to have when I need it 10 or 20 years from now too. I plan on doing the same to the other bathroom if I can get the funds. It is not usable for my aunt, who has mobilitiy issues, because there is an 8 inch step down into the bathroom. I plan on moving the floor up 8 inches when I have it redone.

Another thing that I am glad I bought is a silicone roof. I have a flat roof and it cost the same to get the silicone, which lasts a lot longer with less maintenance than the tar and gravel roof. The added plus is that it is white so it keep the house about 10 degrees cooler in the summer.

After tomorrow I will be retired! So happy to have that burden of working 40 hours a week lifted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 12:08 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
I am taking care of my 90 year old aunt and the best thing I have spent money on (too much money) is redoing the master bath to have a walk in shower with a built in bench and grab bars on the wall. It will be good to have when I need it 10 or 20 years from now too. I plan on doing the same to the other bathroom if I can get the funds. It is not usable for my aunt, who has mobilitiy issues, because there is an 8 inch step down into the bathroom. I plan on moving the floor up 8 inches when I have it redone.

Another thing that I am glad I bought is a silicone roof. I have a flat roof and it cost the same to get the silicone, which lasts a lot longer with less maintenance than the tar and gravel roof. The added plus is that it is white so it keep the house about 10 degrees cooler in the summer.

After tomorrow I will be retired! So happy to have that burden of working 40 hours a week lifted.
You are doing a beautiful thing taking care of your aunt, and congrats on retiring!

Last edited by volosong; 08-31-2023 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: fixed close quote hypertag

Old 08-30-2023, 12:23 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
For lower cabinets, get easy-pull drawers installed, so you don't have to squat down or reach inside.

You could also retask an appliance lift with a shelf / basket.

For upper cabinets, they do make "pull down" inserts.
https://www.amazon.com/Whifea-Pull-D...dp/B07XFBXB2H/

and "pull out" pantries on wheels.
https://www.amazon.com/Shelving-Orga...dp/B06XKLCWBL/

Do you have the pull up for the KitchenAid in use? SO thought it was a good idea - until it was installed. It will take up almost a whole cabinet. Pulling it up loaded with a regular size KitchenAid takes effort. Make sure it snapps into place! It may be stable but the vibration when you run the mixer is scary. Getting it back down is a proceedure.
A no repeat for our kitchen.

Walk in shower, wheel chair wide doors, no stairs and no stairs into garage or onto patio, gas fire place and no carpeting have always been our requirements.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:35 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
More obscure / luxury accessories:
[] Foot Pedal Sink Faucet Controller - have your kitchen sink or bathroom sink controlled by your foot. Useful if both hands are needed, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-St...dp/B07X59KMFS/

[] Pot filler - a cold water faucet over the cooktop, so you can fill a pot on the stove. Don't have to lift a heavy pot of water.

Champagne taste / beer budget
[] In the past, there were a number of companies that made "all refrigerators" / "freezerless refrigerators". You could mix and match with an upright freezer and get the capacity of a $4k luxury model for 1/4 the price.

The advantage - you don't have to compromise on placement of "your" items. Each unit is optimized for its function.

The disadvantage - no built in water dispenser or ice cube maker.
However, you can use the savings to buy a "clear ice maker".
[] https://www.newair.com/products/coun...ker-clearice40

The next best "trick" is to buy 2 generic refrigerators with top freezers (with no gadgets to break), to get the capacity of an upright freezer.
Make sure that the thermostat and sensor are easy to replace. We had to replace ours ($20 part), and saved ourselves $300 service call.

Accessible Home Page:
https://www.lowes.com/c/Accessible-home

Last edited by jetgraphics; 08-30-2023 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-30-2023, 12:40 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
I don't have a picture of it but my wife bought my FIL a recliner that will lift you to a standing position (he had problems getting in an out of a chair when he hit his mid 90s).

Old 08-30-2023, 12:41 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
FWIW, lift recliners are something NOT to get unless absolutely required. Most nurses and docs will tell you that the getting out of a chair motion is vital to keep the lower body and abdominal strength.

There are two-step step stools that come with a grab bar on top. I have one, and it makes standing on it safer.

A bed at the proper height for standing up out of it safely, possibly a four poster for the ability to grab the posts.

After the first couple broken tumblers and glasses, plastic replacements. Finding tiny bits of glass is difficult enough, wandering around in sock feet makes the problem worse. The same for dishes.

Good kevlar gloves for use when cutting slippery or odd shaped items.

Old style notebooks for recording doctor visits and important phone calls. It is amazing how a receptionist will dismount a high horse when told "Let's see, oh yes. I have it written in my notebook. I talked with you on August 21 at 2PM and you said... " Doctor instructions don't get lost, and any insurance issues are more quickly resolved. "No, I did not have that test run that visit. I had ..." (It can be done on a phone, but in a court of law, a notebook that has fixed pages will trump most phone notes.)

A good sitting window and/or front porch. Even if only used a few days a year, they keep a connection with nature and the world around.

Old 08-30-2023, 12:58 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Good kevlar gloves for use when cutting slippery or odd shaped items.
"NO CRY" Level 5 knife safety gloves are GREAT. I've saved myself from innumerable cuts on my mandoline slicer using these gloves.

https://www.amazon.com/NoCry-Resista...dp/B08L6RC7M1/

Old 08-30-2023, 01:07 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
FWIW, lift recliners are something NOT to get unless absolutely required. Most nurses and docs will tell you that the getting out of a chair motion is vital to keep the lower body and abdominal strength.
I am pretty sure he was at that point that without some assistance, he wasn't getting out of that chair.

Good to know though for the future. He passed away last year.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:11 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I got grab bars for the bathroom. That's about it.
How practical is a built in seat?

Also, I find that in the shower, I wish I had some raised seating or at least raised corners to put my feet up on, one at a time, to soap or rinse. Having nothing but smooth shower walls with a small cutout for a soap dish, you can't put your foot up on anything to raise your leg in a stable position.

I could shower in the bathroom with a tub, but then you have to climb over the tub. Fine for now, but maybe not so good as I age.

I really wish my shower had seating and some place to put my foot up, one at a time.

Old 08-30-2023, 01:12 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
We had the stairs to the door rebuilt so they are now much easier to climb/walk on. I also put a raised toilet seat on my toilet, that helps a lot.
I would never have thought of a raised toilet seat. That is very practical and useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement