Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2023, 06:22 PM

8,384 posts, read 4,409,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
If she's not using it and not selling it renting it is a reasonable solution.
Wait, what is this about "she is not using it" and "the property sat and sat and sat"? I am using it exactly in the way for which I bought it, and in fact am using it right now :-). It is a lovely sunny leisurely afternoon in my San Francisco condo, where I am reading a rare book, a 1910 travelogue from the excellent San Francisco Public Library, and checking mail right now :-). The issue is NOT AT ALL that I am "not using it". The issue is that the city has become dangerous, and there is some impossibly prohibitive taxation planned on 2nd homes unless that is blocked (eg, by the tax measure going on the ballot Nov 2024). It is very ugly what the city has become, I don't go out after dark here, I don't go out much at all here. and I am cautious walking down the street, but I surely still travel across the country between my condos, very often :-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 08:47 PM

7,651 posts, read 3,284,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Wait, what is this about "she is not using it" and "the property sat and sat and sat"? I am using it exactly in the way for which I bought it, and in fact am using it right now :-). It is a lovely sunny leisurely afternoon in my San Francisco condo, where I am reading a rare book, a 1910 travelogue from the excellent San Francisco Public Library, and checking mail right now :-). The issue is NOT AT ALL that I am "not using it". The issue is that the city has become dangerous, and there is some impossibly prohibitive taxation planned on 2nd homes unless that is blocked (eg, by the tax measure going on the ballot Nov 2024). It is very ugly what the city has become, I don't go out after dark here, I don't go out much at all here. and I am cautious walking down the street, but I surely still travel across the country between my condos, very often :-).
Well, I guess, now we know That.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess, now we know That.
Not sure what you mean . I never said anything different.

Old 09-23-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Knew a lady like that and the property sat, and sat and sat. 10 years later she finally rented it.
Well, I am certainly not that lady. I have had the property that we are discussing for longer than 10 years, have been using it pretty substantially every year, and will not rent it out. No way. That has never crossed my mind as an option, and never will. Either I'll continue using it the same way I always wanted to use it, or I'll sell it if the safety issues and/or taxation become impossible - but one thing that I will most certainly NOT do with it is to rent it out. Zero chance of that. Why would I ever do that? I do not need rental income, and I would never take the legal and financial risk of being a landlord again, especially not in a place like San Francisco, where you essentially relinquish all rights to your property once you rent it out.

Old 09-23-2023, 11:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
That's a good reminder. I had to look it up but, sadly; a 2nd home does not qualify for the $250K/ $500K capital gains exemption.
then... use "Installment sale" / owner contract and spread out your gains (and get 8%+ interest)

I do a very diligent financial analysis of buyer, with personal guarantee and minimum 30% down + required auto deposit payments to a trust acct. Payoff penalty equivalent to my extra tax obligation, refi at current rates + margin every 5 yrs (as in commercial paper).

It's a viable option.

Avoiding a Big Tax Bill on Real Estate Gains
An installment sale lets you defer (spread out / lower) taxes

https://www.investopedia.com/article...le%20agreement.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc705

Not for OP, but... If with spouse... consider having your spouse register 2nd home as 'primary residence'. If you split your time and travel often seperately (as we do), It will work OK to each have a 'primary residence'. Sometiomes it's 'necessary' for various reasons... Fluffy should be listening

Old 09-24-2023, 12:50 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
We lived inthe Bay Area from 1980 -2010. We still have friends in the Bay Area as well. When we return to the Bay Area for events such as weddings and birthday parties and the like, we are astonished at its decline. Everything is in a state of disrepair. Weeds and trash. Potholes. Filth. Excrement. Soul-crushing traffic.

It is Broken Windows Theory writ large. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

We are always excited to depart.
I was born and grew up in the bay area - lived there til 1980 and again from 1982 to 1987. My mom still lives there so I go back at least once a year.

I totally agree - not close to what it was.

Old 09-24-2023, 02:44 AM

106,786 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
then... use "Installment sale" / owner contract and spread out your gains (and get 8%+ interest)

I do a very diligent financial analysis of buyer, with personal guarantee and minimum 30% down + required auto deposit payments to a trust acct. Payoff penalty equivalent to my extra tax obligation, refi at current rates + margin every 5 yrs (as in commercial paper).

It's a viable option.

Avoiding a Big Tax Bill on Real Estate Gains
An installment sale lets you defer (spread out / lower) taxes

https://www.investopedia.com/article...le%20agreement.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc705

Not for OP, but... If with spouse... consider having your spouse register 2nd home as 'primary residence'. If you split your time and travel often seperately (as we do), It will work OK to each have a 'primary residence'. Sometiomes it's 'necessary' for various reasons... Fluffy should be listening
not only is it tax fraud if the two primaries are not actually used differently but it is also insurance fraud .

so the days of faking a primary address are long over .

very few couples are going to spend 6 months apart in different homes.

why bother being married.

could we dream up scenarios where that could be ? sure but in practice i doubt it’s. more than a few

Old 09-24-2023, 05:23 AM

2,484 posts, read 1,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Why do people spend money for water to grow grass where it naturally doesn't grow in order to then spend money to mow it year-round? That seems to me the height of insanity. In other words, some of these "hidden costs" can be mitigated with a little common sense.
I thought you could dig a hole just about anywhere in Florida and spout water. Up here (NY) I have a supplemental well to irrigate my lawn and to use for washing the car, etc. Free.

Old 09-24-2023, 07:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not only is it tax fraud if the two primaries are not actually used differently but it is also insurance fraud .

so the days of faking a primary address are long over .

You don't need to do anything fraudulent. It's quite common for snowbirds to live (together) in each residence 6 months / yr, just don't live in (one) over 183 days, and follow the domicile requirements of each state. All of our properties are in non-income tax states, so there's no obligation there. Each location has vehicles and insurance as 'primary residence'. Each location is occupied by one of us for a period every month, and many places in between. (We travel more than 50%, and often independently for eldercare, siblings, volunteer work, weather related interests.). Separate domiciles can be done legally. Many do it during their careers, out of necessity. Especially CEOs, politicians, international and interstate business owners. A few here live in multiple domiciles, and plenty live in none! (Income tax free SD nomad domicile). https://gnomadhome.com/becoming-south-dakota-residents/

Know the rules, live within them. (To your benefit).

Old 09-24-2023, 08:51 AM

106,786 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You don't need to do anything fraudulent. It's quite common for snowbirds to live (together) in each residence 6 months / yr, just don't live in (one) over 183 days, and follow the domicile requirements of each state. All of our properties are in non-income tax states, so there's no obligation there. Each location has vehicles and insurance as 'primary residence'. Each location is occupied by one of us for a period every month, and many places in between. (We travel more than 50%, and often independently for eldercare, siblings, volunteer work, weather related interests.). Separate domiciles can be done legally. Many do it during their careers, out of necessity. Especially CEOs, politicians, international and interstate business owners. A few here live in multiple domiciles, and plenty live in none! (Income tax free SD nomad domicile). https://gnomadhome.com/becoming-south-dakota-residents/

Know the rules, live within them. (To your benefit).
it is very state specific as far as whether they allow married couples to have more then one primary who are not separated.

florida is very liberal in that regard but new york isn’t .

originally ny only allowed married couples to have one primary …then in 2005 a court case made exceptions .

lots of good info here
so one needs to check state laws with an attorney in that state and not assume they can just spend a few more days and one can be a resident of another state

https://www.docrlaw.com/evaluating-d...ws-for-spouses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement