Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 10:25 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Having not quite yet retired I did not realize until last night that Oregon does not tax Social Security. Maybe another good reason to max it out.

There is an initiative on the ballot for 2024 to Freeze Property Taxes on people 65 and older.

I live just minutes from Washington State that does not tax income, but, does have a sales tax. Washington tends to have a higher cost of living than Oregon. It may not be worth making that move; but, if you are downsizing it may be worth considering. Maybe when RMD's kick in (for me at 75) when I am also ready to downsize.
I live it the wonderful state of Massachusetts. It doesn't tax SS and qualified pensions like FERS CSRS Military and State pensions. We do have a sales tax on stuff with exceptions on clothing and food stuffs. Some people think our property taxes are too high but they are half of what the state just north of us NH that has no income tax at all and no sales tax. But that leads me to believe that property owners pay the bulk of everyone's travel on the streets and such. They do require me to pay taxes on my withdrawals from my 401k.

I have lived in Washington state years ago and found it a wonderful place with awesome people but that time was a very long time ago so economics I cannot give you more than you already know. Oh and I am paying $7k in taxes a year for a property Zillow has estimates of $650k property value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 10:28 AM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Yes, I realize I can research it myself. I wanted to hear first-hand accounts from actual people regarding their local tax situations. Reading about it never tells the whole story. People may have relocated in consideration, at least in part, of the tax consequences.
That webpage list is out of date anyway.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:32 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Maryland.
Not yet although there are rumblings to do so among some members of the Legislature. It's an "equity and fairness" issue.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:33 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
That webpage list is out of date anyway.
There are lots of online sources to find current information; you're not limited to one "webpage."

Old 09-18-2023, 10:44 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
No chance for TN to have an income tax of any kind. TN did away with the Hall tax on dividends/interest/capital gains.

For groceries now have 3 month "sales tax holiday". Over time that holiday could be extended to 12 months. You do need to watch which items are groceries or other items not. Part of the sales tax problem is each city/county adds to the state tax rate.

Back to the OP, there are 13 states that tax Social Security benefit. Movement is on to reduce the number.

What may be more important is on the FIT. There is a threshold where you start to include SS income in your tax calculation. About 60% pay this tax. Nothing has happened to change this since 1980's.
I'm well aware that there will not be an income tax in Tennessee. Those in power would rather put a burden on those who can afford it the least so they can continue to trumpet "no income tax in Tennessee!"

I don't think that the food tax holiday will be extended past the three months as it costs the individual counties a lot of income.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:06 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm well aware that there will not be an income tax in Tennessee. Those in power would rather put a burden on those who can afford it the least so they can continue to trumpet "no income tax in Tennessee!"

I don't think that the food tax holiday will be extended past the three months as it costs the individual counties a lot of income.
I can see how this is a double edged sword. Taxing food hurts those that can least afford it.

On the other hand, much of Tennessee's huge growth is because of a lack of income tax. Many people along with job creating industries have moved there because of that reason. It seems many people especially retirees won't consider moving to a state with income taxes anymore, no matter how small they are. Florida is somehow able to do it without taxing grocery store foods but I know little about all of this.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:28 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
I don't live in Reno but visited once on business trip. The locals told me about the following.

Reno has no lack of water. It enjoys rain from the water moisture from Sierra Nevada mountain nearby to the west, but the rain overshoot Reno and falls to the east and collects at the Pyramid Lake. The Truckee river flows the water through Reno.
Interesting fact I found out when visiting Pyramid Lake is that Nevada used to be one great lake millions of years ago. Look up Lake Lahontan

Old 09-18-2023, 11:31 AM

7,566 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You can easily Google this; there are lists of taxes applied in every state. It's a useful retirement tool. Mine isn't a particularly retiree-friendly state, which is yet another reason to move. However, it seems where taxes are low, other things are high, so they get you one way or another!
I know. People here are pointing out some of the nuances of their tax laws (which are not all apparent in various articles on the subject). Plus things are changing with taxes all the time (especially recently).

Which state is that Otter?

Old 09-18-2023, 11:33 AM

7,566 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Interesting fact I found out when visiting Pyramid Lake is that Nevada used to be one great lake millions of years ago. Look up Lake Lahontan
Wow, that's fascinating.

Old 09-18-2023, 11:56 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
We're looking to retire in Florida:

No state income tax
No estate or inheritance taxes
Homestead exemption for the first 50K.
But beware of other taxes and insurance. In 9 years our insurance went from $1200 to $8000. Our neighbor who sits a little lower on a stream pays $12000. If you live on or near the water, even more! Counties here vary in how they charge property tax, but it can make for an awkward conversion with new neighbors who find out they are paying almost 3 times what their neighbors are paying. A house down the street recently sold for $985K, the only sale on our street since 2014, when most of the homes were built, and those sold at ~$550 on average. They are paying way more than us original owners but even we have seen it go up every year by about $100.

Other things that people forget about when moving to Florida is that yard work and its costs are year-round, and as growing grass here is hard, many end up going with professional lawn care, everyone needs sprinklers etc. We use reclaimed water in my neighborhood, but for many, it is paid for by the homeowners. My mother's water bill was on average $150 a month, while mine is $85 but that includes trash and recycling pickup and 3 people. Hers was just water for a single person..with a yard. More bugs mean more aggressive pest control, an additional cost. Mold and mildew grow on everything here so powerwashing etc is an additional expense people who move from other places don't consider.

So the income tax thing is just a tiny part to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement