Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2023, 09:21 AM

17,349 posts, read 11,305,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
We lived inthe Bay Area from 1980 -2010. We still have friends in the Bay Area as well. When we return to the Bay Area for events such as weddings and birthday parties and the like, we are astonished at its decline. Everything is in a state of disrepair. Weeds and trash. Potholes. Filth. Excrement. Soul-crushing traffic.

It is Broken Windows Theory writ large. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

We are always excited to depart.
This is very sad. Although I lived in CA for decades, I hadn't been in that area of the state since the 1990s. I'll hold on to my memories of how beautiful it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2023, 10:30 AM

844 posts, read 421,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not on a personal residence.... $500k MFJ / $250k single filers tax free gains every 24 months (since 1997)
https://budget.digital.mass.gov/govb...s-income/1-021

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...145-story.html

Thus... a major free lunch. (You can eat well on $500k IN YOUR POCKET every 24 months)

If you sell it yourself... There's another $24k in your pocket. BTDT on 38 of 40 properties.
That's a good reminder. I had to look it up but, sadly; a 2nd home does not qualify for the $250K/ $500K capital gains exemption.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post

What is Obama care tax? You mean extra 2% or so that they charge on annual income above $250k (or some similar cutoff, I don't remember any more - I used to pay that to the IRS, but have not paid it in a while)? I won't owe that because my annual inconme will be well below that cutoff.
No. I believe it's part of the capital gains tax. I'll need to dig around to provide link.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:38 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,407,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
No. I believe it's part of the capital gains tax. I'll need to dig around to provide link.
I think you are thinking about this (should be highlighted in purple in this link). It would apply to me if I had an AGI over $200k, which I won't have:

https://www.investopedia.com/article...iving%20spouse

PS- actually, it can't be even this, because my pied a terre was never used for investment, I just used it for myself. So I don't really know what you are referring to. The article I linked contains all still applicable tax implicarions of Obamacare.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thank you for clearing this up. I know for a fact, when I sold my home in CA, in order for me to take advantage of that tax break, it had to be my primary residence. I think you need to live in it at least 6 months of the year. Rental properties, vacation homes and part time homes don't qualify.
I am amazed that someone like you who's used to all the hussle & bussle of SoCal able to pickup & leave for a small town in Kentucky? just for starters, don't you miss the food diversity SoCal has to offer? (I'm a foodie that's why I ask ). The good part is you left the meth capital of California behind

Old 09-23-2023, 10:42 AM

4,873 posts, read 4,814,778 times
Quote:
That's a good reminder. I had to look it up but, sadly; a 2nd home does not qualify for the $250K/ $500K capital gains exemption.

It does not. If sold with a gain, it is taxed as either short term (owned less than a year and taxed as ordinary income) or long term (owned longer than a year, taxed at 0-23%, depending on your other income).

If sold at a loss, that loss is not deductible (assuming it was never use as a rental).

Old 09-23-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I think you are thinking about this (should be highlighted in purple in this link). It would apply to me if I had an AGI over $200k, which I won't have:

https://www.investopedia.com/article...iving%20spouse
Yeah. It's called Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT) as well. It's 3.8% on capital gains that exceed $200K.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
It does not. If sold with a gain, it is taxed as either short term (owned less than a year and taxed as ordinary income) or long term (owned longer than a year, taxed at 0-23%, depending on your other income).

If sold at a loss, that loss is not deductible (assuming it was never use as a rental).
So it's a double whammy if you sold a 2nd home, first is the capital gain tax, then it's additional income tax on the capital gains.

Old 09-23-2023, 10:49 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,407,837 times
Quote:
Yeah. It's called Net Investment Income Tax (NIIT) as well. It's 3.8% on capital gains that exceed $200K.
It applies to all capital gains if your AGI exceeds $200k. No longer applicable to me :-).

Old 09-23-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
What remaining money? I paid $285k in cash (after-tax savings - I keep the cancelled check) to buy the condo, and there was no mortgage. So, $285k is not taxable again anywhere for any reason. Only $100k capital gain is taxable at 15% to IRS, and I am looking at 13% California state tax (although the total tax will be less than that; that is only the marginal tax bracket). MA gives tax credit for what I paid in tax to CA, so I don't pay any tax for this transaction in MA. Thus, after about $30k tax , my net gain is about $70k, and I get back my $285k with which I bought the condo, which is a total of about $350k.
Don't forget the Federal income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement