Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 05:37 PM

43,314 posts, read 18,428,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, my point is that the opinion of the experts is that it is safe to have both vaccinations at the same time. Waiting two weeks between shots gives you greater opportunity to become infected with a disease.

You are mistaken that it is wrong to be concerned about Covid 19. As of October 2023, it has killed over 1,150,000 Americans. Whether you know someone who caught the disease or not it is still a very serious disease especially for those who forgo vaccination.
That poster is following the advice of his doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2023, 06:35 AM

18,219 posts, read 15,766,591 times
Normally I'd get both shots (not at the same time, though), but I haven't felt inclined yet. I'll probably get the flu shot within the next several days.

Old 11-03-2023, 06:57 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,425,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Anyone worried about covid has had ample opportunity to get a shot by now. I got mine a month ago. No wait. Plenty of appointments because no one is that interested here. It might vary by region I suppose.
The uptake on the new COVID shots has been very poor, less than 5% IIRC.

I'm low risk and have had COVID twice. I had a sinus infection last month that was much worse than either bout of COVID.

I worked for a hospital system at the time and had to have both the initial two-shot dose, as well as the first booster dose. The second dose absolutely laid me out for the better part of two days - fever, sweats, chills, weakness, fatigue, diarrhea, you name it, I had it.

I handled the booster better because I had Tylenol and lots of Pedialyte at the ready, but it still wasn't fun.

I got my flu shot at my PCP six weeks ago or so. They didn't even have signs up for the COVID shot. I'm sure they had it on hand if requested, but it's certainly not marketed like it was. I will probably get it, but I need to get it on a day where I don't have to leave the house the next day. I don't expect it to be fun.

Old 11-03-2023, 08:02 PM

5,180 posts, read 3,789,928 times
No shots thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
2023-2024 Flu Season: What to Expect-a290255cefb18fdb.png  

Old 11-05-2023, 01:04 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,681,717 times
Quote:
I think your doctor is ignoring the best advice that is out there. Older people (those over 65) absolutely can get both vaccinations at once. In fact, its recommended because if you put it off two weeks you stand that much more chance of catching Covid 19. Please take a look at this link. Its from AARP.
Since I'm over 80 and get the high or senior shots for everything, plus my doctor is on top of my medical needs, I will take his advice.

Old 11-06-2023, 02:44 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,217,783 times
SC for what it is worth this covid shot did not bother me except for making my arm sore for nearly a week (which has never happened for any shot). I don't mean unbearably sore, but it was noticeable. Maybe they just hit a nerve going in.

I vastly prefer to get my flu shot at the doctor than to sit in some open area at the pharmacy.

Old 11-06-2023, 03:10 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,559,209 times
Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion, my point is that the opinion of the experts is that it is safe to have both vaccinations at the same time. Waiting two weeks between shots gives you greater opportunity to become infected with a disease.

You are mistaken that it is wrong to be concerned about Covid 19. As of October 2023, it has killed over 1,150,000 Americans. Whether you know someone who caught the disease or not it is still a very serious disease especially for those who forgo vaccination.
The immunologist of a good friend of mine says, nope, at least 2 weeks between the vaccines. Too dangerous for those who have certain conditions to get them together.

If you dont get the vaccines , it doesnt matter.

Old 11-06-2023, 08:15 PM

22,641 posts, read 47,797,904 times
On independent advice from each of our medical professionals, DH and I got both shots at the same time. One day of slightly sore arms.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:54 PM

14,432 posts, read 14,362,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
The immunologist of a good friend of mine says, nope, at least 2 weeks between the vaccines. Too dangerous for those who have certain conditions to get them together.

If you dont get the vaccines , it doesnt matter.
I sort of wanted to let this go. I made a point that the best medical advice in this country is that it is safe to have both vaccinations at the same time. Point made. If you or anyone else chooses not to follow that advice that's your decision. Exactly what dangerous conditions is the secondhand advice of this doctor referring too? Care to elaborate? It would also follow that if one doesn't have those "dangerous conditions" that one should get both vaccines either together or as soon as possible wouldn't it?

I would maintain that the CDC's official advice is more authoritative than the anonymous opinion of one or two doctors.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/coadministration.htm

Old 11-07-2023, 05:37 AM

3,094 posts, read 1,559,209 times
Quote:
I sort of wanted to let this go. I made a point that the best medical advice in this country is that it is safe to have both vaccinations at the same time. Point made. If you or anyone else chooses not to follow that advice that's your decision. Exactly what dangerous conditions is the secondhand advice of this doctor referring too? Care to elaborate? It would also follow that if one doesn't have those "dangerous conditions" that one should get both vaccines either together or as soon as possible wouldn't it?

I would maintain that the CDC's official advice is more authoritative than the anonymous opinion of one or two doctors.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/coadministration.htm
the problem with your response is that you are ignoring the individual and only are concerned with the grp. I always thought medicine was suppose to be about the individual and the grp wasn't important. We are all different. My friend has lots of drs and unusual conditions. What her dr/drs do for her may be different than what the CDC thinks should be done. Whats the problem with that?

Though your answer is the essence of why I dont take vaccines and very very rarely see drs. They arent worth the stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement