Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 05:26 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,206,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
When I worked as an RN on an oncology floor back in the 80s doctors were more honest about the outcome. They would tell the family that nothing more could be done and " we are going to make him comfortable ".

The patient would be put on a morphine drip and quietly slip away. No one spoke about the fact that the drug would build up in the patient's system until respiration was depressed to the point where death occurred.

I saw this scenario in hospitals in 3 different states so that was the culture at the time...to prevent prolonged suffering when there was no possibility of a good outcome.

Over time the culture changed and working in an ICU in later years I saw some horrific situations. Many such situations caused by either the doctor or the family overriding the patient's Advanced Directive.

Sad. Morphine all the way!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2023, 07:31 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,047,879 times
I just finished reading In Love by Amy Bloom. Her husband developed early onset Alzheimer's and the book depicts their decisions that led them to Dignitas. It's a lot more complicated than hopping on a plane to Zurich.

The application and interview process seemed lengthy and my understanding is that, at the point of arrival at Dignitas, the person has to be clear minded enough to clearly state his wishes. This comes after the preliminary interviews during which time the person's condition could deteriorate to the point of not being able to state his wishes.

I had considered Dignitas my exit plan but it sounds complicated .

Old 11-14-2023, 08:11 PM

3,096 posts, read 2,220,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I just finished reading In Love by Amy Bloom. Her husband developed early onset Alzheimer's and the book depicts their decisions that led them to Dignitas. It's a lot more complicated than hopping on a plane to Zurich.

The application and interview process seemed lengthy and my understanding is that, at the point of arrival at Dignitas, the person has to be clear minded enough to clearly state his wishes. This comes after the preliminary interviews during which time the person's condition could deteriorate to the point of not being able to state his wishes.

I had considered Dignitas my exit plan but it sounds complicated .
I do not know the timing around which Amy Bloom's husband had his interview, but there has been a movement to further tighten the guidelines around it in Switzerland. Since they are not laws, it is unclear if Dignitas practice has changed any further.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society...lines/47610372

Old 11-15-2023, 04:06 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I got the Dignitas info. Right that there's more to it than hopping on a plane.

Old 11-15-2023, 04:32 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I did too. You have to pay $300 to "join" whether you use it or not. I read all the available material but it was a couple years ago. I hope it will continue to exist...

Old 11-15-2023, 05:42 PM

12,036 posts, read 6,567,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Check out Belgium.
It’s much more lenient than Switzerland and way less expensive.
https://www.euronews.com/2022/05/28/...sed-euthanasia

Old 11-16-2023, 08:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Check out Belgium.
It’s much more lenient than Switzerland and way less expensive.
https://www.euronews.com/2022/05/28/...sed-euthanasia
Interesting. No info in the article about who to contact or what the requirements are but useful for a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement