Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 12:36 PM

5,252 posts, read 3,617,096 times

Advertisements

This could go on forever, "offensive" is in the eyes of the beholders & some of the songs mentioned on previous pages stretch the notion of that... although I understand some of this is exaggeration. Sex, politics, race, gender, more sex... it always evolves given time.

There was a trio of women who had a musical show quite a number of years ago titled "The Songs That Almost Ruined Our Lives" that included all those irresistable, catchy pop tunes we sang back then that treated "girls" as doing anything for a teenaged boy's approval. "Wishing, Hoping, Dreaming..." etc., very entertaining!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 04:28 PM

848 posts, read 469,805 times
Haven't read the whole thread. I love Led Zeppelin's music and go on Led Zeppelin binges every once in a while. So I was listening at work one day and this other guy starts telling me some lyrics of the song. Wow. I told him I don't want to know about the words since I never could understand 90% of what they were saying anyway.
Sometimes it is better not to know.
Also there is a song by ZZ Top whose lyrics I knew but never really tried to figure out. A girl at work explained one such song and made my face red. I've never heard that song the same way since my innocence was ruined.

Old 10-16-2023, 04:39 PM

12,056 posts, read 8,449,416 times
I loved the Immigrant Song from Led Zeppelin. Them's my peeps.

Then I read the lyrics. Oops. We really didn't do any of that in Minnesota, though.

And mental health. I have come to despise all the songs that sing about how someone can't live without their love object.
Let's not send that unhealthy message out anymore to all the emos to take it seriously.

Music has power and as such should be gently considered.

Fun thread. Will think on this.

Old 10-16-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Lou Reed in retrospect:

“Lou Reed is the guy that gave dignity and poetry and rock n’ roll to smack, speed, homosexuality, sadomasochism, murder, misogyny, stumblebum passivity, and suicide,” wrote Bangs, a dedicated fan and fearless detractor, “and then proceeded to belie all his achievements and return to the mire by turning the whole thing into a monumental bad joke with himself as the woozily insistent Henny Youngman in the center ring, mumbling punch lines that kept losing their punch.” Lester Bangs

Didn't you just know it?

Old 10-16-2023, 06:06 PM

Those Stones with their sympathy for the Devil. My dad, a drummer, liked their song, "Start Me up." Even bought a cap that said that for my toddler.

Guess you never read the lyrics, Dad.

How about "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners? There's a double.

Finally, one for the women with some real ironic insight by the rednecks. Tompall Glaser singing, "Put Another Log on the Fire."

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F1&FORM=WRVORC

Old 10-17-2023, 07:17 AM

5,906 posts, read 6,976,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
I love Led Zeppelin's music
A friend of mine, who dislikes them, always says "Great, more songs about hobbits and trolls"

Quote:
Also there is a song by ZZ Top whose lyrics I knew but never really tried to figure out. A girl at work explained one such song and made my face red. I've never heard that song the same way since my innocence was ruined.
I love their song Mexican Blackbird, which includes the lines
"They all call her her, "p.u.t.a" (remove the dots - CD censors the word)
'Cause no one really knows her name
She works the cantina
Dancin' and a-lovin's her trade"

It wasn't until many years later, that I learned from a friend from Mexico what the word "p.u.t.a" meant.

Old 10-17-2023, 07:45 AM

5,663 posts, read 3,171,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
You say that as if it were a bad thing.
Hey, as long as she's not a minor. LOL But the song kind of implies she IS a minor...so there's that.

Old 10-17-2023, 07:54 AM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Those Stones with their sympathy for the Devil. My dad, a drummer, liked their song, "Start Me up." Even bought a cap that said that for my toddler.

Guess you never read the lyrics, Dad.

How about "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners? There's a double.

Finally, one for the women with some real ironic insight by the rednecks. Tompall Glaser singing, "Put Another Log on the Fire."

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F1&FORM=WRVORC
I don't know how teen girls back in those days could stomach various lyrics by the Rolling Stones. It's like the band was celebrating misogyny. The title "Under My Thumb" comes to mind. I think the girls didn't pay attention to the lyrics, and simply were reacting to the music and the beat.

Old 10-17-2023, 10:08 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times
Quote:
Haven't read the whole thread. I love Led Zeppelin's music and go on Led Zeppelin binges every once in a while. So I was listening at work one day and this other guy starts telling me some lyrics of the song. Wow. I told him I don't want to know about the words since I never could understand 90% of what they were saying anyway.
Sometimes it is better not to know.
What song by ZZ Top? "Legs"? That was a fun video!

Old 10-17-2023, 11:05 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,039,998 times
Pearl Necklace, I'm guessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement