Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 06:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,598,475 times

Advertisements

How about "Play that funky music, white boy", by Wild Cherry.

This is one of those "one hit wonders", that I don't think would make it today.
"Her name was Bertha! Bertha Butt! One of the Butt Sisters!"
"Gotta find a woman! Gotta find a woman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCV6paTXyCU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 07:10 PM

15,590 posts, read 7,625,226 times
I almost forgot the original lyrics to Greased Lightning in Grease. Can't write them here.

Old 10-10-2023, 10:38 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,270,633 times
Smile Had no idea either

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I actually didn't know until recently that Atlanta Rhythm Section's 'Imaginary Lover' was about masturbation!
Me too! I guess I had NO clue.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:03 AM

733 posts, read 1,048,685 times
In 1975, Jefferson Starship hit the charts with the beautiful Marty Balin ballad, "Miracles". I liked the song and always smiled at the risque lyric buried in the middle of it, "I had a taste of the real world, when I went down on you girl." I still wonder how they got away with that without any real pushback.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:19 AM

11,661 posts, read 12,759,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
In 1975, Jefferson Starship hit the charts with the beautiful Marty Balin ballad, "Miracles". I liked the song and always smiled at the risque lyric buried in the middle of it, "I had a taste of the real world, when I went down on you girl." I still wonder how they got away with that without any real pushback.
Apparently, in the 60s and 70s, references to drugs got songs banned from airplay more than anything suggestive or with a double entendre. Makin Whoopee is from 1928!

Old 10-11-2023, 06:54 AM

5,610 posts, read 6,546,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Early 70s, there was a band that seemed to be aligned with a "rowdy" part of society, by the name of the 'MC5'. To the best of my knowledge, they were a short lived band, but recorded one album, I think it was a "live" recording.

The album cover looked really flashy, and was in the "bargain rack" at my local record emporium, about 6 months after it was released. Nonetheless, I bought it, and imagine my surprise when I started with Side 1, Track 1, and over the noise of the crowd, the frontman wails out, "It's time to kick out the jams, mother*******s"!!
"Motor City 5", aka MC5. Known for that song. Played on local radio, with the MF's taken out, of course. They had a huge following in Detroit.

Old 10-11-2023, 07:47 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,007,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Me too! I guess I had NO clue.

It's funny, whenever I hear it (my husband has it on his Pandora Likes), now I can't imagine how I thought it could be about anything else! LOL

Old 10-11-2023, 11:42 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,111,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Lynyrd Skynyrd flew a ginormous Confederate flag at their concerts that would be banned today. I personally can't stand what that flag represents but support the right of others to fly it.

Hey Joe seems like it would be anti PC today but maybe he gets a pass like the rappers are today.

Hey Joe, where you goin' with that gun of your hand?
Hey Joe, I said, where you goin' with that gun in your hand? Oh
I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know I caught her messin' 'round with another man, yeah
I'm goin' down to shoot my old lady
You know I caught her messin' 'round with another man
Huh, and that ain't too cool
Hey Joe, I heard you shot your mama down
You shot her down now
Hey Joe, I heard you shot your lady down
Shot her down in the ground, yeah
Yeah
Yes, I did, I shot her
You know I caught her messin' round, messin' round town
Yes, I did, I shot her
You know I caught my old lady messin' 'round town
And I gave her the gun
I shot her
Alright
Shoot her one more time again, baby
Yeah
Oh, dig it
Ah, alright
Lots of Black folks love Sweet Home Alabama especially on Saturdays in the Fall. They can be heard adding Roll Tide Roll as a refrain!

Old 10-11-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I've thought about this while listening to some of my favorite 70s era rock music. I can see moms burning the records today.

Like this one: "I'm the friendly stranger in the black sedan, why don't you hop inside my car? I've got pictures, candy, I'm a love of a man, I can take you to the nearest star...." (Ides of March)

Or:

"Children play in the park, they don't know, I'm alone in the dark, even though...." (Chicago)

Or:

"Young girl, get out my mind. My love for you is way out of line. Better run girl, you're much too young girl....you're a baby in disguise...I'm afraid we'll go too far" (Gary Puckett)

Or even the Rolling Stones favorite "Brown Sugar".

Most of our music was pretty harmless, but I wonder if these would fly today with the morality police. Of course, compared to rap lyrics they're nothing, but still. We sure never thought twice about the lyrics, lol.

Can you think of any others that would sound kind of "off" by today's standards?
They wouldn't cause morality police to bat an eye lash today. Have you listened to contemporary music? Watch the Grammys or MTV music awards?

Old 10-11-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Would you believe I thought this was about eating candy (Turkish Delight from the book 'The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe')
I think that was her name. Great memory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement