Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 04:04 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieAllnut View Post
The wife does not lose her $2,100 a month benefit.

She just gets a survivor benefit of $1,300 a month added to her benefit, to make a total
benefit of $3,400 a month.
no, add ons , they are only in spousal , not survivor. you get the higher of your own or survivor

if fra when filing you get what your spouse got .

any spousal benefits end at death.

one can also elect to take survivor even if it’s less and let their own grow until 70 as well if it will eventually be more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 04:09 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no, add ins are only in spousal , not survivor. you get the higher of your own or survivor
Why do you all persist in beating a dead horse?

Each time someone states facts OP or someone else rebuts with same argument they've used before. At some point it's just like talking to bricks.

If these were children at school you'd make them write it out several dozens of times on blackboard or something..

Old 10-11-2023, 04:35 PM

247 posts, read 177,329 times
Quote:
no, add ons , they are only in spousal , not survivor. you get the higher of your own or survivor

one can also elect to take survivor even if it’s less and let their own grow until 70 as well if it will eventually be more
You misunderstand what I wrote.

If you are getting your own benefits and your spouse’s benefit was higher - you will get your benefit and a survivor benefit that is equal to the difference between your benefit and your spouse’s benefit.

For example, if your benefit is $2,100 a month and your spouse’s was $3,400 a month, you will continue to get your benefit of $2,100 a month and a survivor benefit of $1,300 to bring your total benefit up to your spouse’s $3,400 a month.

In other words, your benefit and the survivor benefit will total the higher amount that the deceased spouse was receiving.

From the Social Security Administration publication, Survivors Benefits (page 6):

“If you’re getting benefits based on your own work, call or visit us. We’ll check to see if you can get more money as a widow or widower. If so, you’ll get a combination of benefits that equals the higher amount.”

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10084.pdf

Old 10-11-2023, 05:25 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
What you are asking about is called the survivor benefit. There's also a death benefit in some cases... a small one-time payment, but that's not the benefit you're asking about. So if you call the SSA be sure to inquire about the survivor benefit.

Here's an explanation from the SSA (Edit: I see this is the same page that kavm already mentioned)...

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/survivors/ifyou.html

It seems a bit of a partial explanation. If the deceased spouse was already collecting a SS benefit the explanation seems sufficient. But to me it's not clear what happens if deceased spouse had not yet filed.
If the deceased hadn’t file for SS the following apply:

The surviving spouse must visit the SSA office in person in order to apply for survivor benefit if the survivor qualifies by age or age and disability or age and caring for an underage children of the dead spouse or takes care of deceased spouse child on disability.

If the surviving spouse is already getting the spousal benefit ( it becomes rare now as “the file and suspend” loophole is closed now - but some older spouses may be in that situation - those don’t need to do anything - the Social Security will automatically apply survivor’s benefits if notified of death by funeral home…

Old 10-11-2023, 06:02 PM

6,755 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
If the deceased hadn’t file for SS the following apply:

The surviving spouse must visit the SSA office in person in order to apply for survivor benefit if the survivor qualifies by age or age and disability or age and caring for an underage children of the dead spouse or takes care of deceased spouse child on disability.
Thanks for the reply.

My question was really about the amount of the survivor benefit when the deceased had not filed yet. I believe I found the answer with a web search.

Old 10-11-2023, 07:46 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,804 times
Quote:

oh boy I'm lost again. I'm going to have to call SS again because a few years ago I took money because my husband's ss was greater than mine and I can't remember but I'm sure SS will have the info. Yup, I'm lost once again. OK, I'll probably call next week since things are hectic here.

Old 10-11-2023, 07:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Why do you all persist in beating a dead horse?

Each time someone states facts OP or someone else rebuts with same argument they've used before. At some point it's just like talking to bricks.

If these were children at school you'd make them write it out several dozens of times on blackboard or something..
maybe writers of books back then could express themselves better so people understood? Looking at the SS website info, it's complicated language for me. Examples are horrific as far as I'm concerned and not easily understood. And obviously there are problems here across the board with different takes, so I guess when I have more time I'll visit SS office. They say they take walk-ins, but frankly I doubt it. If I can, I'll let you all know when I visit if they tell me I must make an appointment.

Old 10-12-2023, 02:42 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
maybe writers of books back then could express themselves better so people understood? Looking at the SS website info, it's complicated language for me. Examples are horrific as far as I'm concerned and not easily understood. And obviously there are problems here across the board with different takes, so I guess when I have more time I'll visit SS office. They say they take walk-ins, but frankly I doubt it. If I can, I'll let you all know when I visit if they tell me I must make an appointment.
you can’t assume the low level clerks at ss will get it right either

an audit found Social Security Is Shortchanging Widows and Widowers

https://www.kendal.org/news/social-s...-and-widowers/

Old 10-14-2023, 09:34 AM

731 posts, read 768,164 times
I was totally lost when my DH passed. I got a lot of different answers from SS from different clerks. OP - you are very smart to ask many questions to SS. Also go to SS in person and ask again.

My DH took SS early. I had not taken Ss yet when he passed. We both worked many years. I still don't understand how I get this:

Yes, I get one check. Within that check I get the amount I would get under my SS (taking it early) plus my survivor's benefit from my DH (A percentage of what he was getting since he took SS early). The check I get is more than what he was getting from SS before he passed. I am technically getting survivor's benefit under my DH and letting mine grow. I can take mine when it's more $$.

I hope I explained it right.....

Old 10-14-2023, 11:01 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
"However, if their current spouse is a Social Security beneficiary, they may want to apply for spouse's benefits on their record. If that amount is more than the surviving spouse's benefit on your record, they will receive a combination of benefits that equals the higher amount.

If they're eligible for retirement benefits on their own record
If your surviving spouse, or surviving divorced spouse receives benefits on your record, they can switch to their own retirement benefit as early as age 62. This assumes they're eligible for retirement benefits and their retirement rate is higher than their rate as a surviving spouse, or surviving divorced spouse.

In many cases, a surviving spouse can begin receiving one benefit at a reduced rate and then switch to a higher rate in the future."

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/survivo...bility—75%25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement