Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 08:08 AM

15 posts, read 19,678 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are moving in to a newly built home. Our new single story house is in a 55 plus community and is about 1800 ft.². We sold and donated all of our furniture in our previous house rather than pay to ship it 2000 miles and so are starting out fresh. We are currently considering furniture, blinds, drapes and that sort of thing for home. We are seeking items that will make our lives easier while growing older. Beyond having a couple grab bars in the bathroom installed we have not purchases anything else age related. I am 62 and my husband is 70. Both in good health. I am wondering what piece of furniture or appliance or what have you that people have bought that have made their life a lot easier or happier.

Last edited by Tealcup; 08-30-2023 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 08:12 AM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealcup View Post
I am wondering what piece of furniture or appliance or what have you that people have bought that have made their life a lot easier or happier.
Neither furniture or appliance.... eliminating stairs was the biggest thing as a senior. Second was decluttering.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:18 AM

30,571 posts, read 16,259,857 times
2 of those floor lamps that have a light around the outer edge and a magnifier in the middle. Don't use the magnifier very often but I can't stitch without that light.

Can't think of anything else I've bought but I have gotten rid of my area rugs except one inside the door. No mud room (lesson learned: never buy a house without a mud room) so that area rug sort of substitutes for one.

Oh-sort of a bought/got rid of-bought smaller pots and pans that also are lighter. Just me so I don't need the big ones and the cast iron frying pans got too heavy to handle.

probably more I can't think of right now.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,637 posts, read 81,333,263 times
We just moved my Mom out of her apartment into assisted living (age 93). Among the items that we gave away to others there was an electric-lift recliner chair. She also had a shower seat, several of those long grabbing tools, and a 3' long shoe horn. The K-Cup coffee machine made it easy for her to brew a cup. Other than that it was the usual stuff.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:21 AM

5,252 posts, read 3,617,096 times
Trading a house for a condo, lifechanging in the amount of time I have now as opposed to the constant maintenance of a large physical structure, mostly unused, and large outside grounds to maintain. Not just time saved but money too, I don't see constant housework as a good use of time or money in my senior years.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:24 AM

36,444 posts, read 16,047,179 times
I got grab bars for the bathroom. That's about it.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:54 AM

1,462 posts, read 662,310 times
If you can swing plantation or cafe shutters (think just lower shutter portion) over blinds, I would definitely go that route. Blinds are labor intensive and can't compare to the ease of cleaning of the plantation shutters or their charm and elegance IMO. They take the place of drapes/curtains so that helps with the $$. I moved into a house with plantation shutters and just love them.

Also, a lightweight vacuum. Seem to pick up as much as the big boys.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:56 AM

130,561 posts, read 12,152,083 times
We had the stairs to the door rebuilt so they are now much easier to climb/walk on. I also put a raised toilet seat on my toilet, that helps a lot.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:46 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
Also, a lightweight vacuum. Seem to pick up as much as the big boys.
I bought a Miele vacuum, high-end, the first year of the pandemic. I love it. I never let my spouse touch it.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:48 AM

8,385 posts, read 4,411,822 times
I don't need anything of that kind yet. If I ever have a paralytic stroke, I hope the exoskeleton technology will progress enough by that time to provide paralyzed stroke victims good mobility, at the price of an average car. Also, by the time I can't travel any more, I hope VR technology will be able to offer a meaningful experience of "traveling" virtually to places that I like. Those are two things I would purchase specifically for the old age. I hope I never need the first one, and hope the second one is much improved (offering many hours of virtual walking through cities and landscapes) in the next decade or two. Can't think of anything alse I'd want for the old age. A ski pole maybe for the super advanced age when walking on two legs gets too tiring, yet one doesn't quite need an exoskeleton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement