Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 05:53 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,409,621 times

Advertisements

I think there is a popular tendency in this thread, which corresponds to predominant social fashions of the 2020s. It goes about like this:

1. Sensationalist catastrophizing of problems of a small segment of the population, putting it in the center of everything (Unconscionable! Baby boomers are are becoming homeless at an alarming rate of 0.008%! Never mind that the rate of home ownership among baby boomers is 80%, and the retired life of that generation is better than ever in the history)

2. The only solution to this mass catastrophe that is completely engulfing us at the rate of 0.008% is to increase taxation above 50%! Rip off "the rich"! Rip off "the rich"! They are guilty for everything, always, so obviously they are guilty for the mass 0.008% homelessness among the boomers as well!

3. What, you are actually proposing a rational solution for the problem of this 0.008% segment of boomers, which would include cost containment and accountable spending of taxpayer funds?! Abominable, unconscionable, what a shocking lack of empathy, what a monstruous lack of compassion! What narcissism, elitism, fascism, advocating for concentration camps, throwing under the bus the most vulnerable among us! We are all just one step from homelessness, be careful what you say because you are among the 80% of senior homeowners by pure incredible stroke of luck; you just won a rare lottery (which happens among the boomers only 10,000 times more often than homelessness), and it would be far more likely that without that rare stroke of luck you'd be among the 0.008% masses of homeless seniors!

I have to go somewhere and do something for about a week, so won't be participating in the forum, or may participate minimally, but I still have 85 more posts until I reach my goal. Then maybe I'll lay off wasting time on low-level discussions here (unless there is some new frustration to vent about :-). I have no doubts that, in my absence from this forum, I'll be burned on the stake here by the righteous! :-)

Old 12-05-2023, 12:01 PM

24,628 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Have you ever paid property tax in your life actually? :-) It doesn't sound like you did. Property tax is not paid once, but every year :-). A property tax of $15k every year on a property worth $350k is outrageously high, and not remotely comparable to any other residential property tax in the US :-). You don't seem to have much concept of property value or taxation - no, an annual tax of $15k on a $350k property is not "not that bad", it is actually incredibly bad! :-)

For comparison, do you know what I pay in property taxes in Boston, for a similar-sized and more valuable condo in the best part of the city? I pay about $1.8k a year. That is with a large primary home exemption that Boston has, but without it I would still be paying less than $4k per year. That is about standard, normal taxation in large expensive cities. The difference between $4k and $15k a year is "not that bad", really? :-)

But I won't be paying that $15k tax, since I am selling the condo before the tax gets to that figure. Yes, I am glad I can voice my opinion about it (I'm not very patient, but I don't throw tantrums either, not even at real dimwits - after all, I am having discussions with some people in this forum, no? :-)

Ah yes, one more thing. I agree that my personal way of living and spending is absolutely irrelevant for taxation of the property which I own for my private reasons - in fact that was exactly the point I was making. My private way of living and spending is not anyone else's business, and therefore the number of days I spend in the condo which I own should be irrelevant for tax purposes.
Oh dear! No, 15k for 350k house is not that bad. My concept on property valuation/taxation is just fine. Bad depends on your stance. Do I want to live in a shoe box or in Boston for 1.8k? Bad. Do I want to be in Texas for 15k? Fine.

Old 12-05-2023, 12:55 PM

17,412 posts, read 16,574,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Wow I can’t believe you actually wrote this post. It’s incredibly mean and not true.
Haha. Moguldreamer wouldn't last a day working at Walmart. He knows not what he speaks.

I think there should be a reality t.v. show where they take a well off person used to the finer things in life and have them actually work in restaurant/retail/labor jobs.

Old 12-05-2023, 01:33 PM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Why are there all these arguments about property taxes on second homes?

If you can afford a second home, you probably aren't in danger of actually becoming homeless anytime soon. I guess it's possible the property taxes could go beyond whatever your budget is, but generally someone who can afford two homes, all those carrying costs, travel between them, etc., can afford the taxes.

Old 12-05-2023, 01:35 PM

24,628 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Haha. Moguldreamer wouldn't last a day working at Walmart. He knows not what he speaks.

I think there should be a reality t.v. show where they take a well off person used to the finer things in life and have them actually work in restaurant/retail/labor jobs.
One of my managers did it:>) His primadonnas complained about the switchboard and found themselves working relieve. No more complaints:>)

Mogul would survive. I would be more concerned about that specific WalMart. Use your imagination!

Old 12-05-2023, 02:15 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,231,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why are there all these arguments about property taxes on second homes?

If you can afford a second home, you probably aren't in danger of actually becoming homeless anytime soon. I guess it's possible the property taxes could go beyond whatever your budget is, but generally someone who can afford two homes, all those carrying costs, travel between them, etc., can afford the taxes.
You did not get the memo. The whole thread has been created, in disguise, to complain about the property tax on the second homes in San Francisco enacted through proposition M in 2023 elections. So, now that battle is playing out on two threads.

You've got to pay attention to keep up

Old 12-05-2023, 02:22 PM

17,412 posts, read 16,574,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
One of my managers did it:>) His primadonnas complained about the switchboard and found themselves working relieve. No more complaints:>)

Mogul would survive. I would be more concerned about that specific WalMart. Use your imagination!

There would have to be some kind of stipulation that in order for Mogul to "win", he would have to stick it out for a month, actually do the work, avoid exposing himself as a man of means and live on a retail worker's budget. There would be an interview before and after to see if any of his opinions had changed.

I would watch that show.

Old 12-05-2023, 02:24 PM

15,221 posts, read 10,336,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
If the cost of housing has become so unaffordable, how are all the millions of illegals flooding our border the last few years affording housing?
Many of them make minimum wage or less….
Well, here in Florida, they live 10 to a single wide mobile home. It was on our local news the other day about a tiny trailer burning to the ground and 10 people were homeless.

My biggest fear has always been becoming homeless. That's why I am over cautious these days with financial decisions.

Old 12-05-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Oh dear! No, 15k for 350k house is not that bad. My concept on property valuation/taxation is just fine. Bad depends on your stance. Do I want to live in a shoe box or in Boston for 1.8k? Bad. Do I want to be in Texas for 15k? Fine.
Oh dear, seems like you don't know what size 300 sq ft is :-). That is 27.8 square meters. That is the size of my SF condo - it is NOT a house, but a very small condo (a studio) about the size of a garage for 2 cars. If you think $15k is not bad in annual tax for that (anywhere in the US or the world), there is truly something wrong with you :-).

Old 12-05-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
You did not get the memo. The whole thread has been created, in disguise, to complain about the property tax on the second homes in San Francisco enacted through proposition M in 2023 elections. So, now that battle is playing out on two threads.

You've got to pay attention to keep up
I did not create this thread. OP, did you create thread, in disguise, for the above purposes?? Btw, the elections were in 2022.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement