Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 07:55 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,696 times

Advertisements

Many of these dreams are familiar to me.

I retired years ago and let my professional credentials lapse. Every so often, I have a dream where there has been a mandatory recall of retired people. I go to work as ordered, but when I am due for my first paycheck, I am informed that I have been working illegally without required credentials and will be prosecuted.

I can sympathize with those who dream about flunking the final exam in a class they never registered for. I don't dream about that because it actually happened to me. In college, during the period where we could sign up for classes, I asked questions about auditing a class I was vaguely interested in. Once I found out more about it, I decided not to sign up. It never appeared on my schedule, so I was flabbergasted when my semester report showed that I got an F in the class because I never showed up. I still think that was a registrar screw up.

At an online university a few years ago, I signed up for an intro class, as I was interested in the subject. Only once I was enrolled did I find out that the class was intended for academically-qualified medical professionals. I don't know why I was enrolled without the required qualifications. I spent about 6 hours a day studying, wikipedia-ing (is that a real verb?) the heck out of every topic, and spending hours on Youtube trying to teach myself Biochemisty on the fly. I managed to pass!!

My worst work-related dreams took place while I was still working. I lived far out and commuted by bus or train into downtown, which normally took between 3-4 hours of commuting time per day. Unless there was bad weather, when my commute took 8 to 12 hours. Most of the year, I left the house when it was still dark and got back home well after dark. A couple times I had troubling dreams where I appeared to be at my workplace, and, when I woke up, I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 08:11 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,121 times
Having a 'dream' about work is what I would call a nightmare - and yes, I've had those in my retirement.

Usually, it's about a stressful situation with some pending deadline looming and me stuck with trying to fix it.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:20 AM

142 posts, read 84,222 times
I'm not retired yet, but I just had a work related dream last night.

I dreamed that I had secretly taken another job while still at my current employer which is remote and was worried about being found out and getting fired from both jobs. The new job was an accounting job but the boss and all of the coworkers lived in a house together. The boss was hardly ever there, but he came in at the end of the day from swimming and went to take a shower. In my dream, there was a big shower room next to the back door for the people coming in from swimming. I didn't know what I was supposed to do at the new job, I just talked all day with my coworkers, and at one point we had a test. I didn't know how to answer any of the questions and got a 0 on it. I thought about keeping the new job for a week or two just to make some extra money before quitting without notice. That was about it. It was a very strange dream.

Last edited by wangchin213; 12-09-2023 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-09-2023, 01:56 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
I've never had panicky dreams about work and over the years I have panic dreams less often than I used to.

Mine were of two subjects: High school play and wedding.

The high school ones were terrifying. Whose aren't?

The wedding ones are kind of funny. Always the same. Dad and I are standing right outside of the door to the aisle.
I check myself. Veil? Yes. Shoes? Fine. Flowers? Got 'em. Just as the organ strikes up the wedding march I look down to see that I am wearing an old pair of cut-off jeans. That's so "me" of me.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:05 PM

825 posts, read 464,774 times
I have them all the time. It's very annoying. Many are conglomerations of 2 or more jobs I have had in the past with the most predominant being the last place I worked. Some make me sad, some make me wake up laughing, and some are very disconcerting, but I'm always put out with myself for having them when life is so good now.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:07 PM

25,439 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Mine aren't nightmares, but I do dream about my last workplace often.

Old 12-09-2023, 06:45 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,736 times
"Anybody else have these dreams?"

yes.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:51 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Many of these dreams are familiar to me.

I retired years ago and let my professional credentials lapse. Every so often, I have a dream where there has been a mandatory recall of retired people. I go to work as ordered, but when I am due for my first paycheck, I am informed that I have been working illegally without required credentials and will be prosecuted.

I can sympathize with those who dream about flunking the final exam in a class they never registered for. I don't dream about that because it actually happened to me. In college, during the period where we could sign up for classes, I asked questions about auditing a class I was vaguely interested in. Once I found out more about it, I decided not to sign up. It never appeared on my schedule, so I was flabbergasted when my semester report showed that I got an F in the class because I never showed up. I still think that was a registrar screw up.

At an online university a few years ago, I signed up for an intro class, as I was interested in the subject. Only once I was enrolled did I find out that the class was intended for academically-qualified medical professionals. I don't know why I was enrolled without the required qualifications. I spent about 6 hours a day studying, wikipedia-ing (is that a real verb?) the heck out of every topic, and spending hours on Youtube trying to teach myself Biochemisty on the fly. I managed to pass!!

My worst work-related dreams took place while I was still working. I lived far out and commuted by bus or train into downtown, which normally took between 3-4 hours of commuting time per day. Unless there was bad weather, when my commute took 8 to 12 hours. Most of the year, I left the house when it was still dark and got back home well after dark. A couple times I had troubling dreams where I appeared to be at my workplace, and, when I woke up, I was.
Putting that amount of time and passing a class for which you lacked the necessary background shows an incredible amount of perseverance.

Old 12-10-2023, 06:19 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Sometimes I dream about being in a test cell at 2 in the morning monitoring a jet engine test, and something really bad happens because I took my eyes off the screen for a moment. Engine is destroyed on the test stand and it is my responsibility. Then I wake up and I am glad to be relaxed and retired. And someone else is out there in the middle of the night with that duty.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:06 PM

409 posts, read 292,997 times
I've had recurring dreams about two jobs that I particularly disliked. One was my job at McDonald's when I was 16-17. I've dreamt over the years that I couldn't find a job anywhere else so had to go back and work there, even though I was in my 40s, 50s, or whatever age I was when I had the dream. The second workplace, which I haven't dreamt about for some time, was a soul-sucking job at a big corporation that treated employees like naughty children. It was my first job out of college, and I got horribly depressed working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement