Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 11:36 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Shingles vaccine was brutal for me- collapsed twice, shaking fever. Still better than getting shingles.
My husband got three shots Shingles, Flu and RSV on the same day and he felt sick for about a day. I got shingles vaccine at the doctors office and felt nothing the next day other than a slightly sore arm. I got Flu and RSV on the same day and again nothing. Affects people differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 12:56 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,330,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I follow the advice of my doctor. The CDC doesn't know your particular circumstances, previous reactions to shots, or recent diagnosis. The CDC guideline is just that, a guideline. When the CDC or government suggests that all get a vaccine without knowing the individual they are doing a disservice. Sorry, I don't do things because the CDC tells me to. I listen to my doctors advice.
Same here.
My primary care doctor of 20 years recommended I get the vaccines, so I did.
(Have heart disease, 4 heart stents, aorta valve replacement, & a pacemaker)

No Covid, no flu, no shingles, and no RSV so far.

Old 12-10-2023, 01:00 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
My primary care uses the CDC App to determine vaccine schedules. He showed me because I was getting confused over my Pneumonia series. I had it in 2017/2018 and then we did an update.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:03 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Shingles vaccine was brutal for me- collapsed twice, shaking fever. Still better than getting shingles.
Yeah, that one I’m a little afraid of, b/c of a medical condition I have, & b/c I got so sick from the first shingles vax (the early one, not the current, 2-shot series).

OTOH, spouse had a shingles episode some years back & never wants to go through that again.

I haven’t been able to get a straight answer from my last 2 PCPs regarding me getting the Shingrex vax, however, I finally have a new PCP that I feel hopeful about, so I’ll try again.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:16 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
My earlier post re RSV vax was directed to the younger guy who posts here. Maybe his post was deleted, or maybe I am losing my mind.

At any rate, I “think” RSV vax is recommended for age 60+, those with chronic conditions like diabetes, the immune compromised, & certain ages of children. Anyone can look this up. For myself, I check with my PCP, when I have one to check with.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:51 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
RSV/Flu/Pneumonia/Covid

Two shot shingles vax.

Received with zero side affects.

Been vaxxed since I was 3 months old. Never got any of the illnesses that I was vaxxed for....lots of overseas travel as a child. I have a yellow shot record full of vax notations.

I respect the science. I had one dear friend pass of Covid. He was in his 50s, passed before the vax was available.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:03 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
My earlier post re RSV vax was directed to the younger guy who posts here. Maybe his post was deleted, or maybe I am losing my mind.

At any rate, I “think” RSV vax is recommended for age 60+, those with chronic conditions like diabetes, the immune compromised, & certain ages of children. Anyone can look this up. For myself, I check with my PCP, when I have one to check with.

He's here so much with us old fogies he is turning into one...

The problem of being so focused on retirement at 37 when he anticipates retiring at 61. It's a long haul. I joined this forum during the pandemic because I thought participating with retirees in their natural habitat would learn me up on retirement topics and prepare me 5-7 years in advance. However Serious Conversation has a serious jump on me by preparing several decades in advance.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:32 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I follow the advice of my doctor. The CDC doesn't know your particular circumstances, previous reactions to shots, or recent diagnosis. The CDC guideline is just that, a guideline. When the CDC or government suggests that all get a vaccine without knowing the individual they are doing a disservice. Sorry, I don't do things because the CDC tells me to. I listen to my doctors advise.

BTW I got 3 covid vaccines and still got Covid 4 times. No on any more boosters. I think energy and money is being spent on a vaccine that doesn't prevent Covid and may be in question as to whether or not it actually lessons the symptoms if you get it but for some it has caused issues. At least the flu shot, if they get the strain correct for the year, reduces symptoms and the likely hood of getting it.
I would only follow a doctor's advice if it was clear he believed in vaccination and followed CDC guidelines. I agree, your personal history is important and is something that your physician needs to consider.

I actually have had all my covid vaccinations and boosters and got Covid 19 too. It was a mild case and I believe it was so because I was vaccinated. The vaccine reduces the severity of the disease.

Old 12-10-2023, 09:39 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
For all us terminally clueless, just what is it, what does it protect against? Heard it the other day on the radio but it is like the abstract of my diaries, something mentioned without the reference provided. So, what is it?

Old 12-11-2023, 04:51 AM

879 posts, read 764,193 times
We got the new Covid vaccine and flu shot in October. To be honest we skipped the RSV at the time. Quite frankly, I felt vaccined out. We’ve decided to go ahead and get. It’s scheduled for Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement