Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2023, 01:57 PM

4,582 posts, read 2,724,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Do you have a link to where I can learn more about these "risk reduction" calculations?
Well, every state still has a site on COVID cases, and cases amongst the non-vaccinated vs. vaccinated , and hospitalizations amongst the non-vax vs. vax , and deaths amongst the non-vax vs. vax ; and in every case the ratio is 10:1 or more.

Amazingly enough, all those thousands of brilliant dedicated MDs and PhDs that've been working in vaccine research, immunology, and virology for the last 20 years or so might actually know something that your favorite right-wing radio host doesn't!

Whenever I hear someone whose scientific training ended with 8th grade science say "Well, I do my own research" I want to ask "OK, so tell me about your controlled studies. What was your control group? How did you account for the effects of health, lifestyle, underlying risk factors, ethnicity, and the old placebo effect? Which statistical methods did you use to determine whether differences were statistically significant? Do you even know what the term "null hypothesis" MEANS?"

Maybe what I should say is that whenever I hear someone who wouldn't know a logical fallacy from a statistical anomaly say "Well, I do my own research", it FILLS ME WITH THE URGE TO DEFECATE.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 02:13 PM

43,249 posts, read 18,385,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Do you have a link to where I can learn more about these "risk reduction" calculations?
This might help..fairly recent..April 2022

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9115787/

Old 12-18-2023, 03:53 PM

9,013 posts, read 4,706,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It could be that adults aren't getting enough vitamin D.
Being out in the sun is the best source of vitamin D...but many adults are scared of getting skin cancer so they avoid the sun.
That may, indeed have something to do with it. It doesn't require a lot of sun to get our daily vitamin D, but it does require more than some people get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
My granddaughter got RSV when she was a month old in 2007. I never heard of it until then and at that time learned? read? that it was a virus that affected small children. I had held her quite a bit before she went into the hospital and never got sick. I was 53 y.o. then.
RSV has been around for quite a few years. I first heard of it right after the turn of the century, but it wasn't until just a few years ago I learned that it kills twice as many over the age of 65 as under the age of 5. Not sure if that is a change in the statistics, or just a change in how they let people know about the virus.

Still, IIRC, it is less significant than the regular, seasonal, flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
This might help..fairly recent..April 2022
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9115787/
Yes, that is one of the sites I am already familiar with, but I was really wondering if Maggie Pie has a source for her statistics that I wasn't already familiar with.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:14 PM

4,892 posts, read 3,315,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, every state still has a site on COVID cases, and cases amongst the non-vaccinated vs. vaccinated , and hospitalizations amongst the non-vax vs. vax , and deaths amongst the non-vax vs. vax ; and in every case the ratio is 10:1 or more.

Amazingly enough, all those thousands of brilliant dedicated MDs and PhDs that've been working in vaccine research, immunology, and virology for the last 20 years or so might actually know something that your favorite right-wing radio host doesn't!

Whenever I hear someone whose scientific training ended with 8th grade science say "Well, I do my own research" I want to ask "OK, so tell me about your controlled studies. What was your control group? How did you account for the effects of health, lifestyle, underlying risk factors, ethnicity, and the old placebo effect? Which statistical methods did you use to determine whether differences were statistically significant? Do you even know what the term "null hypothesis" MEANS?"

Maybe what I should say is that whenever I hear someone who wouldn't know a logical fallacy from a statistical anomaly say "Well, I do my own research", it FILLS ME WITH THE URGE TO DEFECATE.

Some awfully bright dedicated MDs and PhDs working in vaccine research, immunology, and virology for the last 20 years have also spoken out on the CF that was 'COVID response'. For whatever that's worth.

Old 12-20-2023, 06:34 AM

4,582 posts, read 2,724,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Some awfully bright dedicated MDs and PhDs working in vaccine research, immunology, and virology for the last 20 years have also spoken out on the CF that was 'COVID response'. For whatever that's worth.
Well, there's no doubt that governments all over the world from national to local screwed up in a whole variety of ways.

However, for those who think all the actions of all the governmental bodies should have been in complete accordance with all the knowledge we have NOW, three and a half years on, I suggest re-reading Churchill's "The Gathering Storm" where he describes, from the standpoint of someone who lived through it, all the failures of the period leading up to the Second World War and the earliest days of the war. It's very easy to say what SHOULD have been done when you have the hard-won knowledge and are looking back. But at the time there was little knowledge of how this particular pandemic would play out. Remember that there were nations (Italy, Spain) where the health care system was really on the verge of collapse, with school gyms and warehouses being converted to makeshift hospitals. It simply was NOT KNOWN whether there were going to be contagious bodies stacked in the streets like cordwood. Plus, now we know that indeed the COVID virus did mutate toward less virulent varieties, as most viruses do over time - but mutations are RANDOM. There was the chance that the second or third mutation might have been MORE serious. The overall COVID death rate seems to have been a single digit percentage. Imagine something equally transmissible, but with a 20% death rate. I'm afraid there might have been a breakdown of social structures. And in the early spring of 2020, NO ONE KNEW.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:27 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,201,030 times
2 months ago, I had the Covid, RSV and flu shots. Now I've been sick all week with severe flu symptoms. Tested negative for Covid so I know it's not that. I wonder why I even bothered to get any of the vaccines. I keep getting them, but still get sick every year, usually more than once. My conclusion - I don't think the vaccines have been effective. Probably won't get them next year.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:03 AM

37,149 posts, read 41,350,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
2 months ago, I had the Covid, RSV and flu shots. Now I've been sick all week with severe flu symptoms. Tested negative for Covid so I know it's not that. I wonder why I even bothered to get any of the vaccines. I keep getting them, but still get sick every year, usually more than once. My conclusion - I don't think the vaccines have been effective. Probably won't get them next year.
Those three vaccines will not prevent all respiratory infections. Do you not know that? Have you been tested for flu? RSV? You could have a flu virus that was not included in the vaccine. You could have something that is not covid, not flu, and not RSV.

The current flu vaccine is expected to be about 52% effective, based on the experience in the Southern hemisphere.

https://www.ccjm.org/content/90/12/7...s%20by%2052%25.

I have not been sick in over four years. I shop at off peak times, use a mask if there is a significant level of illness in my community, and I pay attention to hand hygiene.

I also vaccinate.

Old 12-20-2023, 08:26 AM

43,249 posts, read 18,385,032 times
Quote:
They aren't 100% preventative. You still need to take care of yourself (sleep, vitamins, hand washing, etc) during the winter to protect yourself from getting sick.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:21 AM

7,182 posts, read 4,589,537 times
Quote:
Every year my mom got the flu vaccine and within days she was sick for 2 weeks. Because it’s not a live virus doctors say that the vaccine didn’t cause it. We finally convinced her to stop and she quit getting sick. I got the first 3 covid shots because people were dying but quit after that. I don’t get flu shots but my 2 siblings do because they have serious respiratory conditions. I think everyone has to evaluate their personal situation and see if it makes sense for them personally.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:55 AM

9,013 posts, read 4,706,589 times
Quote:
2 months ago, I had the Covid, RSV and flu shots. Now I've been sick all week with severe flu symptoms. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Every year my mom got the flu vaccine and within days she was sick for 2 weeks. Because it’s not a live virus doctors say that the vaccine didn’t cause it. We finally convinced her to stop and she quit getting sick. ...
The key might be "flu symptoms."
The doctor is right, that the shot can't give you the flu, but, because the body responds to the vaccine, you will often get some of the same symptoms. They should only last for 1 to 4 days, where the flu can keep a person down for twice that long.

That said, the shot isn't for everybody.
Some people are allergic or maybe have other reactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement