Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2023, 11:59 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,680,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
2 months ago, I had the Covid, RSV and flu shots. Now I've been sick all week with severe flu symptoms. Tested negative for Covid so I know it's not that. I wonder why I even bothered to get any of the vaccines. I keep getting them, but still get sick every year, usually more than once. My conclusion - I don't think the vaccines have been effective. Probably won't get them next year.
First, the three vaccines you got are not 100% effective. I believe RSV is at 80% for the season, the flu vaccine is anywhere between 20-60% overall, and COVID is pretty effective but only like for about 4 weeks then it starts dropping off.

Putting that aside, there are tons of other things out there not covered by any vaccine.

My daughter currently has terrible body aches and a sore throat that's killing her. She was tested yesterday for COVID, strep, and flu and she has none of those.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 12:57 PM

43,249 posts, read 18,385,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
First, the three vaccines you got are not 100% effective. I believe RSV is at 80% for the season, the flu vaccine is anywhere between 20-60% overall, and COVID is pretty effective but only like for about 4 weeks then it starts dropping off.

Putting that aside, there are tons of other things out there not covered by any vaccine.

My daughter currently has terrible body aches and a sore throat that's killing her. She was tested yesterday for COVID, strep, and flu and she has none of those.
Yup....like the simple "winter cold".

Old 12-20-2023, 03:54 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,201,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They aren't 100% preventative. You still need to take care of yourself (sleep, vitamins, hand washing, etc) during the winter to protect yourself from getting sick.
Yeah, I know how to take care of myself, thank you. I'm not a child who needs mommy to make me wash my hands and take care of myself properly to avoid illness. Do you think I get all the vaccines then think, "oh goody, now I can throw caution to the wind and stop taking care of myself!"?

I won't be vaccinating next year.

Old 12-20-2023, 07:27 PM

43,249 posts, read 18,385,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Yeah, I know how to take care of myself, thank you. I'm not a child who needs mommy to make me wash my hands and take care of myself properly to avoid illness. Do you think I get all the vaccines then think, "oh goody, now I can throw caution to the wind and stop taking care of myself!"?

I won't be vaccinating next year.
You would be surprised at how many do think that way,

I meant no snark or to demean you with my reply to you.

Old 12-21-2023, 03:38 AM

Quote:

Well, I take that back. My daughter has had symptoms since Monday. She tested at home for COVID which was negative. By Tuesday night she felt MUCH worse, thought she might have strep, so went to the Kaiser lab and got a strep, COVID, and flu test. The COVID test was PCR so a bit more accurate but everything was negative. Last night, after feeling even worse, not sleeping, etc, she just did another COVID test and it's positive.

So if you care or not what you have, konw that it may take several COVID tests before a positive result arises. I know many people don't overly care what they have but she's knows now to isolate better. Likely we won't be seeing her at Christmas since my over-80 year old parents will be there.

Old 12-21-2023, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Yup....like the simple "winter cold".
Unfortunately not now. COVID test is finally positive and she's very symptomatic so likely not seeing her until well after the holiday.

Old 12-21-2023, 03:45 AM

106,853 posts, read 109,114,600 times
when the much more powerful delta version was around , three years ago i tested positive and 8 days later was hospitalized as it morphed in to a sickness i never experienced in my life .

my wife tested negative on pcr when i first tested positive

she got worse and a few days later she tested again , already with awful symptoms…she tested negative again

well the day after i was admitted she was brought in by ambulance and finally she tested positive

we were both admitted to long island jewish thru christmas and new years ..it sucked

i had COVID again a few months ago , this version was coldvid …it was nothing like delta .in fact i would take it over a cold anyday

Old 12-21-2023, 09:57 AM

7,682 posts, read 3,309,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when the much more powerful delta version was around , three years ago i tested positive and 8 days later was hospitalized as it morphed in to a sickness i never experienced in my life .

she got worse and a few days later she tested again , already with awful symptoms…she tested negative again

well the day after i was admitted she was brought in by ambulance and finally she tested positive

we were both admitted to long island jewish thru christmas and new years ..it sucked

i had COVID again a few months ago , this version was coldvid …it was nothing like delta .in fact i would take it over a cold anyday

I got Covid in Jan/Feb 2023. I was having tremendous trouble breathing. I should have gone to ER, but, my elderly cat was also very ill. I struggled through it at home. It was so bad I redid my Will in May. I am immunocompromised and also have Asthma.

I broke my kneecap December 12th; so, likely picked it up in medical facilities.

I am not keen on ever experiencing That again let alone any time soon.

Old 12-21-2023, 04:23 PM

9,013 posts, read 4,706,589 times
Quote:
Well, I take that back. My daughter has had symptoms since Monday. She tested at home for COVID which was negative. By Tuesday night she felt MUCH worse, thought she might have strep, so went to the Kaiser lab and got a strep, COVID, and flu test. The COVID test was PCR so a bit more accurate but everything was negative. Last night, after feeling even worse, not sleeping, etc, she just did another COVID test and it's positive.

So if you care or not what you have, konw that it may take several COVID tests before a positive result arises. I know many people don't overly care what they have but she's knows now to isolate better. Likely we won't be seeing her at Christmas since my over-80 year old parents will be there.
Some variants of Covid are going to take longer to show up on a test than others. Some of them have developed strategies to hide from our immune system (giving them more time to fully incubate), and that may cause them to hide from our tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

The virus has become "recombinatant" meaning it can mutate in the same way flu virus mutates, whereas previously all mutations were along a couple, fairly predictable, trajectories. Mainly they older variants went from more severe to less, but each variant spread faster.

Now, all bets are off. Some variants will be less than a common cold, others will put you in the hospital. And it varies from one person to the next. A particular variant may affect you badly and your wife not so bad, the next variant could affect her worse, and you don't show any symptoms at all.

There are currently more than six variants spreading through our population. Unfortunately, this makes vaccines much less effective, but thankfully, the less serious ones seem to be more common (so far).

Old 12-22-2023, 02:57 AM

106,853 posts, read 109,114,600 times
i have ths damn lingering cough now , going on 3 weeks ..everywhere i go i hear people coughing …

i still can’t run from it as i start to cough every time.

will see the doctor tomorrow just to make sure it is still not in my lungs.
it is more annoying then anything else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement