Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 06:49 PM

7,692 posts, read 3,314,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
I think "okay boomer" is funny.

I think it is utterly uninformed and idiotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 06:58 PM

3,104 posts, read 2,236,383 times
He's very friendly, says the dog owner of a snarling dog baring its teeth at you! The friendliness is of no real comfort when it bites you either.

I and my wife walk and hike a lot. Most dogs are very well behaved, there are some who only bark when they think I might have forgotten to pet them. But then, there are those who aren't. But, it is not the dogs that are bad, it is the owners who don't know how to control them and do not put them on leash when they are not sufficiently trained to respond to voice commands.

Old 12-13-2023, 07:53 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
No, it would have been a crisp white linen shirt and linen shorts or a linen skirt and pointy Italian loafers. I was a clean bad arse. Also, I avoided public restrooms in general unless I was at work or school for the most part. I prefer a clean bush to a men's room (even now).

...maybe that did not come out exactly as intended... the art of the great outdoors?
Lmao, my stomach hurts now

Old 12-13-2023, 08:32 PM

19,874 posts, read 9,424,417 times
Quote:
I brought the "nice thing" up with my shrink a year or so ago. I told him, you know, I have never really been a particularly nice person. He's mild mannered and agreeable and so I thought his response made an impact. He said "yeah, that's not a thing." It's really nothing to aspire to. Things like boundaries is something to aspire to. Being a doormat not so much. I got the feeling he was saying to be nice was equivalent to being stupid. I brought it up especially with relation to my occupation where it is obvious being "nice" is not really the intention (though you might want to be clearly politically correct).
This might be a bit of a rant, but this is one of the things I find so disheartening about modern society -- that in the opinions of many people, "being nice" is NOT something to be proud of -- or even something to aspire to.

P.S. On Edit: Bold added on edit to clarify I was not referring to the OP herself in my reply, but to the advice she received.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-13-2023 at 09:47 PM..

Old 12-13-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Here is my rant, I have paid for medicare since 1974, now that I retired I found that all that money went to Medicare Part A (hospitilization - paying up to 80% but only for specific things) and I am required (REQUIRED) to pay a monthly fee for Part B (doctor vistits, therapy etc, paying up to 80% but only for specific things), deducted from my social security, AND I am REQUIRED to pay for a private insurance policy to cover Part D (meds). And if I don't I buy the private insurance for medicine (and there is no Just Part D coverage, it includes other things too), then I have to pay a penalty!

If I had known this up front I would have had it sorted before I retired and I would not be so incensed now, but I called Social Security and Medicare and got no real information. After talking to both of them I got the impression I just had to have Part B so I signed up for that and there was more miscommunication from them after 3 weeks that I had to submit a specific form from my employer, which on the website it says you can submit your W-2 form. Well, no that isn't right. So finally it was almost december before I got everything sorted and signed up for a private insurance policy for part D for 2024. Why would I waste time signing up for 2023? I am healthy, and it takes so long for things to get done it would be mid december before it all go sorted. But now they say I will owe them for not being covered for 3 months in 2023!

I called the private insurance company with this issue and they said they will submit a form for me to Medicare. So now I have 3 more weeks before I know if it is sorted or not (maybe more because it is the end of the year).
I was confused by your post, so I looked it up, and so to clarify, paying for Medicare Part B is optional unless you sign up for a certain kind of additional plan.https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...vantage%20plan. I truly thought everyone knew this. Quote from link:
Quote:
You don't have to take Part B coverage if you don't want it, and your FEHB plan can't require you to take it. There are some advantages to enrolling in Part B:

[However] you must be enrolled in Parts A and B to join a Medicare Advantage plan.
I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but I fail to understand why anyone would sign up for a Medicare Advantage Plan instead of a Medicare Supplement Plan. Btw, this is a handy chart that explains the difference. https://www.humana.com/medicare/medi...are-supplement

I will say that I have been very happy with my Medicare Supplement Plan.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-13-2023 at 09:49 PM..

Old 12-13-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This might be a bit of a rant, but this is one of the things I find so disheartening about modern society -- that "being nice" to many people is NOT something to be proud of -- or even something to aspire, too.

I think a lot of problems today are caused by the "I am more important than you are, so I don't care what you think about me" attitude so many people seem to have. (And, yes, this is not new, but I don't think it was as obvious 60 years ago.)

And so I am going to try to continue to try to be nice, whether anyone likes it ,or thinks I'm stupid, or not.

What? I don't think I am more important. I just lost the sticky sweet naivety of youth. Yay! I became a real person!

Old 12-13-2023, 09:31 PM

Quote:
What? I don't think I am more important. I just lost the sticky sweet naivety of youth. Yay! I became a real person!
To be clear, I was not directing my comment to you personally,, but to the person you consulted and those in the psychology or psychiatry profession and anyone else who DOES think that way!

Last edited by katharsis; 12-13-2023 at 09:46 PM..

Old 12-13-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:
To be clear, I was not directing my comment to you personally,, but to the person you consulted and all those in the psychology or psychiatry profession and to anyone else who DOES think that way!
The funny thing is he is a nice man. Maybe that's why he doesn't think it is anything to aspire to.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:41 PM

7,941 posts, read 3,898,765 times
Quote:

I think a lot of problems today are caused by the "I am more important than you are, so I don't care what you think about me" attitude so many people seem to have.
For some, it might be evidence of low "emotional IQ." For others, it might be nonverbal learning disabilities, and for others still it might be autism.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:43 PM

7,941 posts, read 3,898,765 times
Quote:
Not only that, but you prefer a clean bush.

Quote:
I prefer a clean bush ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement