Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 10:10 AM

7,740 posts, read 3,350,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Some meds are not kept at the pharmacy, they have to order them. Maybe you should ask the pharmacy this question.

This used to not be the case. This is for very commonly used medications. I here him because something changed maybe 5 years ago and then it definitely got worse and never recovered during the pandemic. I know some of it is staffing shortages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 10:26 AM

15,016 posts, read 12,225,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
One reason is I don't thing the local pharmacy has the inventory in pills hat they used to have, Now your pills come from some warehouse that packaged them. Got one bottle with 100 pills & another with 80. If you take 2 a day need 180 for 3 month supply.

Computer in the pharmacy counts the days from when you picked them up. Insurance can have a role for when you can order more. Likely the doctor's prescriptions were done on different days.

When you get to the end may "fill the order" with just 5 pills. So you call the doctor to renew refill prescription. This throws timing off. Wish the pharmacy would warn you when they short your order. Then the pharmacy may play phone tag with the doctor. Nobody knows how to use the phone so that they talk to each other. In the meantime you may run short of pills.

If you are on Part D prescription drug plan check with your pharmacy for this year's summary. Maybe you find a pattern for having items filled. Also helpful to see in what phase you are in. Could be happy camper if you got $$ in prescriptions for $ price. The Plan saved you the $ difference.
What I would like to know is why they short the order, when a full refill is clearly requested and indicated, especially as a maintenance medication. I can understand it if they are out of stock for the medication, they can't give you what they don't have, they will often give you a short supply to tide you over till they get the meds.

My experience was with Walgreen, over the last several years especially they would not infrequently, and randomly short a prescription by half, or more, with no explanation, no notification, and could not provide a reason when asked about it. Examples for me included 45 metoprolol tartrate tabs for a 3 month supply that was supposed to be 270 tabs, and the last straw ( had a bunch of other issues as well) was 90 day losartan fill with 42 tabs instead of 90, and the pharmacy tech copping an attitude, seemingly surprised that I wanted all the pills in that refill, then slow-walking the request for the remainder of the pills in that prescription. No one there could explain why prescriptions were shorted, though one pharmacist ( when this store still had a decent pharmacist) suggested that perhaps this was done in attempts to get customer's prescriptions "in synch" to refill all at the same time-but for me this actually increased the number of times I had to go pick up refills, or partial refills, whatever they were doling out on a particular day.

After the last short fill ( 42 losartan tabs that should have been 90), I started refusing the short fills, and switched to another pharmacy. I have not had any problems since then.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:32 AM

I have to keep dealing with Walgreens because it is one mile from my house and has a drive through window (which unfortunately I have had too many occasions that necessitated using it due to injuries).

Old 12-12-2023, 10:46 AM

4,243 posts, read 3,783,449 times
Ive been seeing this happen a lot more frequently in my neck of the woods and I dont understand it either. I have no reason for it to bother me, but it does. The only time where it was seemed normal to keep your vehicle idling at all times was when I was in Alaska. Its as equally annoying to me when people are walking up to their car and remote start the, lol. Im in NH and dont use remote start very often, dont like heated seats either...prefer to scrape the windshield if needed, hop in and go. A far as keeping my vehicle idling, id be afraid I would get locked out.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:27 AM

532 posts, read 449,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Ive been seeing this happen a lot more frequently in my neck of the woods and I dont understand it either. I have no reason for it to bother me, but it does. The only time where it was seemed normal to keep your vehicle idling at all times was when I was in Alaska. Its as equally annoying to me when people are walking up to their car and remote start the, lol. Im in NH and dont use remote start very often, dont like heated seats either...prefer to scrape the windshield if needed, hop in and go. A far as keeping my vehicle idling, id be afraid I would get locked out.
I've been in Alaska for 15 years and in this land of remote auto starts I'm still a hop in and go kinda guy. Now that I'm retired my car is always nightly in a heated garage so not necessary for a warm up period.
I used to start up my car after being parked all day at work if outside temps were really low, -20f and down and also left it plugged in all day to a "head bolt". Head bolt= 110v outlet for drivers to plug in to power a block heater, oil pan heater and battery blanket or charger, normal winterization stuff in Fairbanks.

When very cold here, -40f, after a warm idle as you start driving you'll bump along for 1/4 mile or so as your tires start to round back out.

Old 12-12-2023, 11:36 AM

24,770 posts, read 11,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I will start...

Was it always this way and I just did not notice? Is this a relatively new phenomenon in the last decade? They sit in their cars while the engine is running or worse, they leave them running in the driveway unattended.

I do not know when I first started to notice it. It was at least five years ago. Maybe this is something that came along with the Smart Phone?

It really came to a climax last evening I drove up to a small strip mall and there were no less than five vehicles all idling including one large vehicle that ran on natural gas. My own neighbor (renter) across from me will do this for a very uncomfortable period of time in the driveway (and sometimes exits the vehicle for what seems like eternity) the whole ordeal lasting an hour. I notice when I am taking a break from yard work on my bench on the porch (and I am choking on the fumes (and how rude and brain dead)).

Please help me understand. And, who are they?
Why do you not ask the person you refer to as idiotic about why he is running his vehicle while it is parked?

Old 12-12-2023, 12:00 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,242,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I will start...

Was it always this way and I just did not notice? Is this a relatively new phenomenon in the last decade? They sit in their cars while the engine is running or worse, they leave them running in the driveway unattended.

I do not know when I first started to notice it. It was at least five years ago. Maybe this is something that came along with the Smart Phone?

It really came to a climax last evening I drove up to a small strip mall and there were no less than five vehicles all idling including one large vehicle that ran on natural gas. My own neighbor (renter) across from me will do this for a very uncomfortable period of time in the driveway (and sometimes exits the vehicle for what seems like eternity) the whole ordeal lasting an hour. I notice when I am taking a break from yard work on my bench on the porch (and I am choking on the fumes (and how rude and brain dead)).

Please help me understand. And, who are they?
I also dislike endless idling. @MogulDreamer - Don't let me catch you idling. We do have an anti-idling law that is never enforced :

But, it is not an old person thing. I see people of all age groups doing it. I can even understand if it is too hot or cold. People come to our neighborhood to watch the sunset. They will have windows open looking at it - while idling their vehicle. Stupid!

Another pet peeve of mine is when people drive up to a park but refuse to get out. Just drive up, turn around/linger a bit, slowly drive out. Seems stupid to me. Why not get out and actually see/experience what you drove up to see? And, these aren't mobility impaired folks I am complaining about.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Here in Park City, there is an anti-idling ordinance - part of the local effort to combat global warming & save the whales.

Without exaggeration, karens will come up & knock on your window & tell you it is against the law to idle, and they will call 911 if you don't shut off your engine.

It is particularly amusing during the Sundance Film Festival when celebrities like Leo DiCaprio fly in on their private jets and have stretch limos wait for them outside the events.

Yes, I understand how massive the flight emissions are and the futility of battling climate change (and am not a parent or grandparent). I am not really coming at it from that perspective. When I have to breathe in the fumes that's a little more personal. It strikes me as new and odd behavior (in terms of people having any knowledge of how it impacts the vehicle). I live in a temperate climate and I am observing this behavior year-round anyways.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:13 PM

88,765 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Do that in NJ and your car will be gone when you come back for it.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I also dislike endless idling. @MogulDreamer - Don't let me catch you idling. We do have an anti-idling law that is never enforced :

But, it is not an old person thing. I see people of all age groups doing it. I can even understand if it is too hot or cold. People come to our neighborhood to watch the sunset. They will have windows open looking at it - while idling their vehicle. Stupid!

Another pet peeve of mine is when people drive up to a park but refuse to get out. Just drive up, turn around/linger a bit, slowly drive out. Seems stupid to me. Why not get out and actually see/experience what you drove up to see? And, these aren't mobility impaired folks I am complaining about.

I realize it is not old codgers embracing the practice. It's old codgers trying to understand why the younger generation is engaging in the practice. Yes, we used to warm up our cars 55 years ago. But, I have driven Japanese cars for four decades and you do not need to warm them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement