Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 09:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

Here the state law bans letting your engine run unattended. You can get a ticket if you start your engine in your driveway and let it warm up while you finish your coffee or visit the bathroom one last time. Of course that is also an invitation for car thieves in many areas. Since it's also illegal to drive with impaired visibility due to frost or snow, here you are expected to sit in the car while idling to thaw it out before driving unless you get out and scrape. The way our law is written anyone with a remote start can get away with it. My wife's Outback, for example can be stated by iPhone app. It remains locked and I did not turn it off and exit it, so did not meet the law language. Whenever there is frost I'll start it and run for 10 minutes and it's ready for her to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 09:52 AM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Maybe it's because I have owned Japanese cars for the last 40+ years (and they do not need to be warmed up). I really wonder if a lot of people are aware of how bad it is for the vehicle?

Old 12-12-2023, 09:56 AM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
I love the title of this thread).

Old 12-12-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I have a codger complaint of my own. Why can't the pharmacy keep my prescription refills in sync? I have 5 "maintenance" meds that I take daily for the rest of my life. They are all on 90 day refill. Why is it that the pharmacy will never refill all 5 at the same time? I had them get them all organized that way once, and it should've been pretty simple to refill all at the same time every 90 days, but they end up all being refilled separately after a few refills. It's 12 miles to the pharmacy and a pain to have to keep running back and forth for one scrip at a time. I went to mail-order refills once, and the mail-order pharmacy started sending me 90 day refills for some pills every 30 days, so I had tons of pills and tons of co-pays that didn't make any sense, so I went back to the local. I guess it's time to go back to mail-order again. It really ticks me off.

I hear ya on this one. I have tried and it never works out anymore. Fortunately, what has happened to me is almost everything I use is over the counter now. I have one inhaler I get by mail order and one locally. They never have them in stock and have to gather them.

There's usually a big misunderstanding with the 90 day refill.

The pharmacies are so busy with so many shifts with different people I am surprised it goes as well as it does.

I just had to get this whole engine idling off of my chest. It has been bothering me for at least five years!

Old 12-12-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
The only people I see sitting in running cars are people waiting to pick up others, or waiting for their curbside pickup orders.

Engines are running because it is 28 degrees here and you get cold otherwise.

Yes, the normal reasons in the normal places. We only get to the low 30's a few days during the year...

Old 12-12-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
If they are paying for their gas....it is no bodys business but their own.

I feel it can be mostly idiocy. A lack of understanding of what that does to the vehicle. If it is idling a couple feet from my property for an extended period of time and I am forced to breathe that air it is not just their business.

I guess I have learned from this post that my location does not have a law against it yet (only for commercial vehicles so far).

Old 12-12-2023, 10:01 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,530,656 times
Not guilty. Never leave my car running. Afraid something will happen, like I forgot to put it in park. Too risky. I don’t live in cold country, but I do have heated steering wheel and seats, just in case I need to go to Maine!

Old 12-12-2023, 10:04 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I will start...

Was it always this way and I just did not notice? Is this a relatively new phenomenon in the last decade? They sit in their cars while the engine is running or worse, they leave them running in the driveway unattended.

I do not know when I first started to notice it. It was at least five years ago. Maybe this is something that came along with the Smart Phone?

It really came to a climax last evening I drove up to a small strip mall and there were no less than five vehicles all idling including one large vehicle that ran on natural gas. My own neighbor (renter) across from me will do this for a very uncomfortable period of time in the driveway (and sometimes exits the vehicle for what seems like eternity) the whole ordeal lasting an hour. I notice when I am taking a break from yard work on my bench on the porch (and I am choking on the fumes (and how rude and brain dead)).

Please help me understand. And, who are they?
It is the age of being plugged in non stop. Any inconvienence is avoided, since the new cars will start from an app on the phone (pocket computer) why get in a cold car? I have no idea why people would leave the car running and sit in it at a strip mall. Must be busy on their phones while they wait for someone who "ran in to grab something".

Old 12-12-2023, 10:06 AM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I have a codger complaint of my own. Why can't the pharmacy keep my prescription refills in sync? I have 5 "maintenance" meds that I take daily for the rest of my life. They are all on 90 day refill. Why is it that the pharmacy will never refill all 5 at the same time? I had them get them all organized that way once, and it should've been pretty simple to refill all at the same time every 90 days, but they end up all being refilled separately after a few refills. It's 12 miles to the pharmacy and a pain to have to keep running back and forth for one scrip at a time. I went to mail-order refills once, and the mail-order pharmacy started sending me 90 day refills for some pills every 30 days, so I had tons of pills and tons of co-pays that didn't make any sense, so I went back to the local. I guess it's time to go back to mail-order again. It really ticks me off.
Some meds are not kept at the pharmacy, they have to order them. Maybe you should ask the pharmacy this question.

Old 12-12-2023, 10:09 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,530,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Some meds are not kept at the pharmacy, they have to order them. Maybe you should ask the pharmacy this question.
DH gets his meds sent my mail on auto. CVS will deliver meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement