Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 04:04 AM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times

Advertisements

I will start...

Was it always this way and I just did not notice? Is this a relatively new phenomenon in the last decade? They sit in their cars while the engine is running or worse, they leave them running in the driveway unattended.

I do not know when I first started to notice it. It was at least five years ago. Maybe this is something that came along with the Smart Phone?

It really came to a climax last evening I drove up to a small strip mall and there were no less than five vehicles all idling including one large vehicle that ran on natural gas. My own neighbor (renter) across from me will do this for a very uncomfortable period of time in the driveway (and sometimes exits the vehicle for what seems like eternity) the whole ordeal lasting an hour. I notice when I am taking a break from yard work on my bench on the porch (and I am choking on the fumes (and how rude and brain dead)).

Please help me understand. And, who are they?

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 12-12-2023 at 04:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2023, 08:06 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
The only people I see sitting in running cars are people waiting to pick up others, or waiting for their curbside pickup orders.

Engines are running because it is 28 degrees here and you get cold otherwise.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:21 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Some people do it when they have an animal in the car, and they are going into the store or restaurant for a time long enough for the pet to get too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. Cops with K-9 partners often leave the dog in the car with the AC running while they eat lunch. I think the trend has accelerated now that cars have remote locks and fobs. Older cars that required physical keys to operate would need for the owner to have a second key to open the doors after locking the ignition key inside the car. In the winter some people want to warm up the car and use the defroster before getting in.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:25 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
If they are paying for their gas....it is no bodys business but their own.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:31 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I have a codger complaint of my own. Why can't the pharmacy keep my prescription refills in sync? I have 5 "maintenance" meds that I take daily for the rest of my life. They are all on 90 day refill. Why is it that the pharmacy will never refill all 5 at the same time? I had them get them all organized that way once, and it should've been pretty simple to refill all at the same time every 90 days, but they end up all being refilled separately after a few refills. It's 12 miles to the pharmacy and a pain to have to keep running back and forth for one scrip at a time. I went to mail-order refills once, and the mail-order pharmacy started sending me 90 day refills for some pills every 30 days, so I had tons of pills and tons of co-pays that didn't make any sense, so I went back to the local. I guess it's time to go back to mail-order again. It really ticks me off.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:39 AM

7,741 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Here in Park City, there is an anti-idling ordinance - part of the local effort to combat global warming & save the whales.

Without exaggeration, karens will come up & knock on your window & tell you it is against the law to idle, and they will call 911 if you don't shut off your engine.

It is particularly amusing during the Sundance Film Festival when celebrities like Leo DiCaprio fly in on their private jets and have stretch limos wait for them outside the events.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:49 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Who me? I was waiting to hear the end of the song.

Other times it's a podcast.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:00 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
That is illegal here, a costly ticket if caught. And a good way to get your car stolen.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:03 AM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I have a codger complaint of my own. Why can't the pharmacy keep my prescription refills in sync? I have 5 "maintenance" meds that I take daily for the rest of my life. They are all on 90 day refill. Why is it that the pharmacy will never refill all 5 at the same time? I had them get them all organized that way once, and it should've been pretty simple to refill all at the same time every 90 days, but they end up all being refilled separately after a few refills. It's 12 miles to the pharmacy and a pain to have to keep running back and forth for one scrip at a time. I went to mail-order refills once, and the mail-order pharmacy started sending me 90 day refills for some pills every 30 days, so I had tons of pills and tons of co-pays that didn't make any sense, so I went back to the local. I guess it's time to go back to mail-order again. It really ticks me off.
One reason is I don't thing the local pharmacy has the inventory in pills hat they used to have, Now your pills come from some warehouse that packaged them. Got one bottle with 100 pills & another with 80. If you take 2 a day need 180 for 3 month supply.

Computer in the pharmacy counts the days from when you picked them up. Insurance can have a role for when you can order more. Likely the doctor's prescriptions were done on different days.

When you get to the end may "fill the order" with just 5 pills. So you call the doctor to renew refill prescription. This throws timing off. Wish the pharmacy would warn you when they short your order. Then the pharmacy may play phone tag with the doctor. Nobody knows how to use the phone so that they talk to each other. In the meantime you may run short of pills.

If you are on Part D prescription drug plan check with your pharmacy for this year's summary. Maybe you find a pattern for having items filled. Also helpful to see in what phase you are in. Could be happy camper if you got $$ in prescriptions for $ price. The Plan saved you the $ difference.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:04 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
If they are paying for their gas....it is no bodys business but their own.
not true. It's a source of pollution and so everyone's business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement