Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 02:39 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,228,655 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the forum! I am sorry Genworth being unresponsive is the cause. Unfortunately (or is it fortunately), my wife and I have our policies from CNA. So far, they are just taking our money without complaints What happens if either of us make a claim is unclear and hopefully some distance away.

Perhaps others have a suggestion how you might approach Genworth to resolve this issue/query. All the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 03:20 AM

4 posts, read 1,096 times
Default Re Genworth. Seeking other couples who bought NYS partnership policies in 2003

I don’t give a fig about Genworth’s response. I have sent a number of letters to them in the year and a half we are collecting on home care services, and their responses, if they bother, are non responsive.

They are however paying our claims, especially now that I find if they don’t pay by the 31st day after they receive the claim, they must pay 12% interest. Took a lot of letters to find that out. And even more to understand how that was calculated.

Their processing of our claims is often faulty and checking their payments puts an additional burden on me. They recently apologized and said it was because increased home care services are calculated by hand. They now say they will put a senior associate on it. I have to wonder how many other claimants are shortchanged and do not know.

Doesn’t it make you question the accuracy of the calculations used to convince NYS to grant increases of 60%, 52%, and 143% when they are posting a profit?

Despite my age my memory is not faulty. Blessings on our insurance agent who explained 5% compounding and 100% home care rider to me.

I am hoping this forum can put me in touch with other couples who purchased a NYS PARTNERSHIP POLICY in 2003 to share how their waiver of premium was handled if one of you was collecting.

I also think if your spouse died after collecting and after 10 years of paying premiums there was an another waiver, But I could be mistaken on this. The options available were similar to a Chinese menu and when they refused to consider us a couple, the options became more limited.

Thanks. It is liberating to be able to gripe in a public forum and possibly find kindred souls to share information.

Old 02-13-2024, 07:13 AM

5,183 posts, read 3,100,236 times
The math is simple, and explains the foolishness of these plans. Does anyone here think that paying a LTC policy premium of say $6K a year for 20 years can possibly cover multiple years of expenses that nowadays run $60K-$150K a year? These LTC insurance plans are fools gold bordering on fraud.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:59 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
genworth pays out almost 1 million a day in LTC claims .

so many are reaping that fools gold with no problem and genworth has billions in reserves

Old 02-13-2024, 03:23 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The math is simple, and explains the foolishness of these plans. Does anyone here think that paying a LTC policy premium of say $6K a year for 20 years can possibly cover multiple years of expenses that nowadays run $60K-$150K a year? These LTC insurance plans are fools gold bordering on fraud.
your math is not realistic.
IRL: Our policy, couple rate, individual policies, 2002 purchase, had an ~approximate cost of ~1400/yr for 1095 days each: coverage @max $100/day. Today 2024, it is ~$5000 premium combined, @max $330/day, 1095 days (spouse) + mine @max $205/720days (I took a reduced coverage in 2022) to control premium and because of a cancer diagnosis. We also have a low deductible, IIRC.

Here in Greater Seattle area, assisted living will exceed $9000/mo, current.
We have always expected that LTCi will only cover about 50-75% of expenses while our personal (IRA, purchased annuities, SS, reserves) funds will provide the remainder
current age 74/77.

Old 02-14-2024, 05:51 AM

5,183 posts, read 3,100,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
your math is not realistic.
IRL: Our policy, couple rate, individual policies, 2002 purchase, had an ~approximate cost of ~1400/yr for 1095 days each: coverage @max $100/day. Today 2024, it is ~$5000 premium combined, @max $330/day, 1095 days (spouse) + mine @max $205/720days (I took a reduced coverage in 2022) to control premium and because of a cancer diagnosis. We also have a low deductible, IIRC.

Here in Greater Seattle area, assisted living will exceed $9000/mo, current.
We have always expected that LTCi will only cover about 50-75% of expenses while our personal (IRA, purchased annuities, SS, reserves) funds will provide the remainder
current age 74/77.
The LTC underwriters at these companies screwed-up big time as evidenced by their actions and rate hikes. They are actively trying to get their customers to cancel policies because they can see it’s a money-losing deal that will only get worse over time. A cynical person might see LTC policies as a ploy by insurance carriers to scarf up the easy money on the front end, and then bail when it’s time to start paying benefits. Maybe they’ll whine loud enough to get a government bailout, because “nobody could see this coming”.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:17 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The LTC underwriters at these companies screwed-up big time as evidenced by their actions and rate hikes. They are actively trying to get their customers to cancel policies because they can see it’s a money-losing deal that will only get worse over time. A cynical person might see LTC policies as a ploy by insurance carriers to scarf up the easy money on the front end, and then bail when it’s time to start paying benefits. Maybe they’ll whine loud enough to get a government bailout, because “nobody could see this coming”.
Yes, they did underestimated the pricing and demand for this financial product. That's business.

The outcome of us Boomers who have LTCi is unclear...
... Don't know if the various government entities will do a bailout.
... Those of us who have LTCi are in the wealthier caste and can and will demand some form of compensation in a default scenario.
... Many of Boomers may eventually decrease LTCi as we age and have a better understanding of our health and wealth. Boomers' leading edge is approaching 80.
... Those who will use the LTCi benefits will be subsidizing non LTCi users and MediCare recipients.
... In Washington, ALL W-2 employees are required to contribute to LTCi (Washington CARES Act) unless specifically exempted. That LTCi is not portable to another state, and if you are under a specific age, you are excluded from benefits until you meet a 10 year & age contribution threshold (forgot the specifics).
... Unless a person who has taken care of another person, there will be a lack of understanding in the value of LTCi.

No idea what's going to happen.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:59 PM

5,330 posts, read 6,025,466 times
Oh, lucky me! I received a free offer from Prudential, my LTCi carrier. I can get five FREE medical screenings valued at $149, less than 1 mile from my home. Woot! Coincidentally, this free offer arrived in today's mail, along with a separate notice of an approved increase in my LTCi premiums. The letter clearly states that the test results will not be shared with Prudential. GMAFB

Old 02-15-2024, 12:58 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisewoman8 View Post
I don’t give a fig about Genworth’s response. I have sent a number of letters to them in the year and a half we are collecting on home care services, and their responses, if they bother, are non responsive.

They are however paying our claims, especially now that I find if they don’t pay by the 31st day after they receive the claim, they must pay 12% interest. Took a lot of letters to find that out. And even more to understand how that was calculated.

Their processing of our claims is often faulty and checking their payments puts an additional burden on me. They recently apologized and said it was because increased home care services are calculated by hand. They now say they will put a senior associate on it. I have to wonder how many other claimants are shortchanged and do not know.

Doesn’t it make you question the accuracy of the calculations used to convince NYS to grant increases of 60%, 52%, and 143% when they are posting a profit?

Despite my age my memory is not faulty. Blessings on our insurance agent who explained 5% compounding and 100% home care rider to me.

I am hoping this forum can put me in touch with other couples who purchased a NYS PARTNERSHIP POLICY in 2003 to share how their waiver of premium was handled if one of you was collecting.

I also think if your spouse died after collecting and after 10 years of paying premiums there was an another waiver, But I could be mistaken on this. The options available were similar to a Chinese menu and when they refused to consider us a couple, the options became more limited.

Thanks. It is liberating to be able to gripe in a public forum and possibly find kindred souls to share information.
called genworth about a couple discount .

they said there are policies that offer couple discounts when sold but they also use a different pricing structure so ours is not one of them …actually they said we have the better deal

Old 02-20-2024, 11:58 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Having a planned for retirement is expensive if you want to cover all of your bases.
What I have learned in 15 plus years of retirement and about 18 in this forum is that our hoped for expectations may not have been matched by our planning and resources.

The gap between retirement resources that exist between seniors at 60 and 80 is much wider. This forum began to frown upon what some called self back patting. Thus the threads on success became less.

There are many able to afford the increase in LTC care.

At one time it was often mentioned the recommendation to have 270-310,000 in after tax set aside for medical cost overage. That was often met by fierce resistance as was other financial guideline advice.

At this point f my life I will say all those guidelines including 80-90% of working income in retirement were welcomed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement