Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 06:55 AM

10 posts, read 9,262 times

Advertisements

lol Marino. if i’d have been good with money we would be rich !! But still blessed to have what we
Traveler, i have a great small business running that I will continue for a few years, but at a reduced pace.

Wiley, the side gig grossed $140K this year with the bulk of profits going into equipment. should easily be able to operate a day or two a week and make a bit of cash. That is the equipment i will sell in a couple/three years. I’ll have to be careful not to exceed early retirement income levels on SS too far.

Probably will not actually touch our IRA Money until I let that go. We will see.

thanks all for the discussion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 10:40 AM

774 posts, read 1,050,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRook View Post
SS numbers come from SSA.gov.

Believe they are correct.
According to SS, the max benefit at 62 is $2,572.

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01897

Old 12-18-2023, 10:44 AM

7,623 posts, read 3,265,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
According to SS, the max benefit at 62 is $2,572.

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-01897
The difference might be what his wife gets.

Old 12-18-2023, 03:33 PM

Correct Wiley. My benefit is 2513 and my Wife’s is a shade over 1200 at 62

Old 12-18-2023, 03:45 PM

25,584 posts, read 17,310,316 times
We started living on what would be retirement income at least one year before we actually retired. It made the whole thing seamless.
Retired since 2010.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:53 PM

That’s a great thought. Due to job loss and the business start up we have been spending far less than in the past. Which I think is a good thing for us. The budget posted is a snap shot of our current spending.

I’ve built a 2 percent income increase annually and a 3 percent inflation increase annually in our spending.

We have a plan and most likely will execute it fully or partially. Part of me says draw on my IRA for two years and work more part time, then pull social security. Should be a considerable lifetime increase. But our numbers work and time is not replaceable.

We will see. Appreciate the discussion.

Old 12-22-2023, 07:36 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Our former neighbors retired early and moved to Costa Rica. This might not be possible with your side gig, but it worked for them.

Aside from wanting to experience a more relaxed lifestyle, they were also concerned about the cost of health insurance in the U.S.

They've lived in Costa Rica for a number of years now and are satisfied with the health care and costs in Costa Rica. Their plan includes an annual visit by a medical professional to discuss the health goals and how to meet them. They've both lost weight and report they are healthier than they have ever been. They walk a lot and eat lots of fruit, vegetables, beans, rice, etc., not as much meat and cheese as they used to. So, that undoubtedly makes a difference.

Their original plan was to move back to the U.S. when they turned 65 and were eligible for Medicare, but that date has come and gone.

They fly out to see their grown children and friends a couple times a year, and now say that when there are grand babies in the picture, they will likely move back.

Also, they did what Listener2307 recommended. Several year before he retired, they started living on what they planned to live on when they retired.

Old 12-24-2023, 12:16 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
We, too, have a multi-leg retirement. Inflation and HOA (personal home) increases are always hard to predict even when budgeted.

My trading habits and rental issues are unknowns.
We are still OK at 73/76. Have not touched the small trading accounts although with big net losses in 2023. Annuities are in full GLWB withdrawal mode. Rental is paid off and has appreciation which could be tapped for in a refinance when rates become better. Rental maintenance will consume rent increase at 2024 turnover.

Our Annuities and pension are single life. Individual LTCi.
The shortterm reserves are more than needed with the steady streams of incomes. I am moving these funds to high yielding short-term bonds and CDs.
Either spouse should be OK on death of partner. (see MI_Roger's thread)

Last edited by leastprime; 12-24-2023 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-24-2023, 12:28 PM

170 posts, read 75,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
SS seems very high. Where did you get that number.

Consider postponing SS if you can. It is like buying a larger lifetime annuity. You can start out without SS and start it at any time so I would at least try postponing.
$44k for two does not seem high/

Old 12-24-2023, 12:33 PM

170 posts, read 75,185 times
People live to the 90s these days.
I would keep working until the 70s.
It is also better to have more than to have less.
When you reach 78-80,and need some income,no one would hire you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement