Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 12:17 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times

Advertisements

Wise to Post.

Husband disabled age 40, no short term memory. House husband built a work bench for the garage when we moved. Bench Solid ! Always tinkering, traits of a building engineer ?

Age 65, 3 weeks after diagnosis esophageal cancer, stage 4. 6 months transitioned to his Eternal home. Posted with other widows, mid-60's, Grief and Mourning Thread.

Adage? ! Life happens when making other plans !

Carpe Diem !I. Enjoy your journey !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2023, 01:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Did you retire with life long federal health coverage?
I had ZERO HC from age 49. Had to figure it out (like most of life)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Wise to Post.

... ! Life happens when making other plans !

Carpe Diem !I. Enjoy your journey !
Yup... My dad came under (my) care at age 47 > age 81
Also had other family and friends go into FT care (or better yet... die) long before retirement age.

Enjoy your journey !

Tomorrow is not yours to own.

Old 12-27-2023, 03:34 PM

480 posts, read 316,804 times
Does you job offer a HSA [Health Savings Account]. If so, strongly encourage you to get into it. HDHP's are not really that bad for someone making your apparent income. High Deductible Health Plan].

Maintain your own health. Exercise and lose weight. You will be able to stay active for longer that way.

Old 12-27-2023, 05:12 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
If your FRA is $3797/mo, then spouse should be able to pull half that at 67, so you’d have $68,346.
Exactly correct!

I view the new full retirement age as 70 years old simply because we are all living a lot longer than people did was Social Security was fire implemented.

In 1940 the average life expectancy of males in the United States was 60.8 while ladies had a life expectancy of 65.2 years.

In 1998 it was 73.8 for males and 79.5 for the ladies.

I would suggest you keep working to 70 if at all possible.

Old 12-27-2023, 06:58 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Exactly correct!

I view the new full retirement age as 70 years old simply because we are all living a lot longer than people did was Social Security was fire implemented.

In 1940 the average life expectancy of males in the United States was 60.8 while ladies had a life expectancy of 65.2 years.

In 1998 it was 73.8 for males and 79.5 for the ladies.

I would suggest you keep working to 70 if at all possible.
Those are life expectancy at birth numbers, which can be skewed quite a bit from child mortality rates. Better to look at something like life expectancy at 65. In 1940, the life expectancy at 65 added to 65 (because life expectancy is average number of years) was 76.9 for men, 78.4 for women. Now it’s around 82.5 men and 85.1 for women.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:50 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
While this is probably true, for those of us who are presently in our early 50s, it isn't exactly mellifluous to hear. Having worked for 30+ years, to face working another 15+... doesn't inspire any sense of accomplishment or relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If you are feeling worn out and ready to retire at 53, it will NOT get better by quitting now with the plans of going back at 63 or 70. In fact, your job options for work would be limited and you would be lucky to find something after a long break from work. ...
This is also probably true, but there is an exception: notable professionals may find themselves in-demand more or less at any age. But presently they may feel burned-out, not from their profession itself, but from their particular employer. The easiest solution is to find another job, but sometimes a break feels merited. Thus it seems to me, that much of our hankering for early retirement, is really just a desire to (1) take a brief break, and (2) find a better job. Perhaps that applies to the OP?

Old 12-28-2023, 01:19 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Those are life expectancy at birth numbers, which can be skewed quite a bit from child mortality rates. Better to look at something like life expectancy at 65. In 1940, the life expectancy at 65 added to 65 (because life expectancy is average number of years) was 76.9 for men, 78.4 for women. Now it’s around 82.5 men and 85.1 for women.
exactly .

life expectancy from birth is irrelevant when discussing retirement issues .

for couples there is even a bigger increase as now each can outlive the other and the odds of one going on longer increases . it is like having two horses with one bet .

odds of a 65 year old couple seeing 85 years is a whopping 73% and the 50% point is almost 90

Old 12-29-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
While this is probably true, for those of us who are presently in our early 50s, it isn't exactly mellifluous to hear. Having worked for 30+ years, to face working another 15+... doesn't inspire any sense of accomplishment or relief.

... presently they may feel burned-out, not from their profession itself, but from their particular employer. The easiest solution is to find another job, but sometimes a break feels merited. Thus it seems to me, that much of our hankering for early retirement, is really just a desire to (1) take a brief break, and (2) find a better job. Perhaps that applies to the OP?

These can work wonders;
  • Leave of absence
  • Using ALL of your acquired leave pay (for a Long Term break)
  • Taking on a different project
  • Attitude adjustment

and...
  • Severance / retrenchment.

One coworker did the severance thing 5x (I only did it (3x)

Early severances at our company were very good. Allowed workers to come back at higher pay, and PT, and as job share.

Mine included free college - poof, GONE!

Other co-workers got their adequate reset, reading and applying "Die Broke" (emotionally quit your job, just don't tell your boss). Sometimes STAYING and reaping the vacation, pension, pay... is better than starting over. Just Get Through It. Then get on with it, and finally get over it.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
exactly .

life expectancy from birth is irrelevant when discussing retirement issues .

for couples there is even a bigger increase as now each can outlive the other and the odds of one going on longer increases . it is like having two horses with one bet .

odds of a 65 year old couple seeing 85 years is a whopping 73% and the 50% point is almost 90

FIL and 2nd 'replacement' spouse are each at age 98, and cracks (and wrinkles) are showing.

As a construction laborer with difficult outdoor employment, I am pretty impressed he made it so far, and with enough hard earned savings to cover his and her needs.

Old 01-01-2024, 07:45 AM

7,817 posts, read 3,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabundo94 View Post

Step 1 is figuring out our anticipated income. Got it. Sort of.
Step 2: better planning on our anticipated expenses. We have a lot of work to do here. While we're comfortable with our anticipated retirement income, the reality is that we make and spend more than that today and will have to have fewer expenses to make it work.
Step 3: Planning out what we actually want to do in retirement and making serious plans. We have a lot to do in this arena. Lots of big plans, but now we need to get serious about coming up with a plan to make them happen. Example: We both want to spend a significant amount of time in Europe, but likely would not move there. Maybe take an initial 3 months in Paris, 3 months in London, 3 months in the Netherlands, etc. (not consecutively....maybe 3 - 6 months of the year out of the gate upon retiring.
Maybe it is me, but I think you have steps 2 & 3 in reverse order.

We did things in full reverse order: your step 3 came first, then your step 2 was next... which in turn impacted your step 1. Your step 1 is a function of "crossing the finish line", but for us, we didn't know where the finish line was until we had completed your steps 3 & 2. I hope this makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement