Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 06:34 PM

239 posts, read 110,959 times

Advertisements

I had clients in subsidized housing who paid 30% of their rent. It is not a place you would want to live if you can help it. There was high crime, one guy upstairs grabbed a knife and started threatening people with it. I'd been talking nice to him, gave him $20 once, so I interrupted. He apolgoized but later told me he was on drugs so thought they were after him. There were constant problems there.

The rules are a pain. We couldn't even set up a garden area in her backyard. Now with California going to selling all E-Vehicles within about a decade, and the ability now to get a used one for 10k or under, that would be perfect for these individuals but no, they cannot even charge them. Meaning you cannot put a charging cord from your car to the house over the sidewalk. There was certainly is no room for future charging stations. Guests allowed for a max of to 2 weeks a year, 14 days. That's it. It's very likely you will hear some loud music, partying, walking upstairs that will keep you awake at night imho. Management, if they even live on site, most likely is on the other side of the apartment complex. Think the last apartment closest to the woods so they hear much less. Sometimes there is not even a washer or dryer in the units, and you are NOT allowed to save up to pay an electrician to install hookups. Many haul their cookies down to the laundrymat to pay a good amount of $ to wash clothes. Don't think you can hand wash your clothes either, you aren't allowed to hang them outside to dry.

Try having guests over. No guarantee there is enough parking spots for them, as this was a constant issue. This is a last resort, it is not somewhere a Senior would normally plan to live. I honestly believe in this situation, you are more likely to get what you pay for.

OP did well saving up an emergency fund. Not everyone believes in investing, as you may be investing in companies which are not good, possibly immoral, not good for our world. No reason to call her decisions "poor choices" either. Nor did she state she wanted to "leave $ to her heirs at taxpayer expense" since she has no kids. These are rude comments possibly coming from some people who may have brains who have a bent towards the nefarious, so assume everyone else does too.

As she said, she worked an honest days work for yrs in the clerical field. She's done nothing wrong here so let's not try to deceive others into thinking otherwise. Again, the moving to Kentucky or Arkansas sounds to me like the best solution here since she has no children. Or maybe she could afford to buy an RV and live in a Park. I'd rather pay rent of like $750 a month living in my RV inside a nice RV park in our area versus a subsidized apartment for sure. More freedom & safer. JMHO

Last edited by TruckeeTami; 01-06-2024 at 07:05 PM..

Old 01-06-2024, 06:56 PM

7,721 posts, read 3,337,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckeeTami View Post
Let's be civil and not misalign her character. YOU are the one who suggested criminal activity and linked it to her to malign her. Be nice
I did nothing of the sort. Trying to keep her out of trouble. People do not know what they are talking about.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I did nothing of the sort. Trying to keep her out of trouble. People do not know what they are talking about.
Please don't make false assumptions which paint her in a bad light, it's not necessary. Just ask instead

Old 01-06-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I had clients in subsidized housing who paid 30% of their rent. It is not a place you would want to live if you can help it. There was high crime, one guy upstairs grabbed a knife and started threatening people with it. I'd been talking nice to him, gave him $20 once, so I interrupted. He apolgoized but later told me he was on drugs so thought they were after him. There were constant problems there.

The rules are a pain. We couldn't even set up a garden area in her backyard. Now with California going to selling all E-Vehicles within about a decade, and the ability now to get a used one for 10k or under, that would be perfect for these individuals but no, they cannot even charge them. Meaning you cannot put a charging cord from your car to the house over the sidewalk. There certainly is no room for charging stations in the future. They were allowed guests for a max of to 2 weeks a year, 14 days. That's it. It's very likely you will hear some loud music, partying, walking upstairs that will keep you awake at night. Management, if they even live on site, most likely is on the other side of the apartment complex. Think the last apartment closest to the woods so they hear much less. Sometimes there is not even a washer or dryer in the units, and you are NOT allowed to save up to pay an electrician to install hookups. You must haul cookies down to the laundrymat and pay a good amount of $ to wash clothes. Don't think you can hand wash your clothes either, you aren't allowed to hang them outside to dry.

Try having guests over. No guarantee there is enough parking spots for them, as this was a constant issue. This is a last resort, it is not somewhere a Senior would normally plan to live. I honestly believe in this situation, you are more likely to get what you pay for than not.

OP did well saving up an emergency fund. Not everyone believes in investing, as you may be investing in companies which are not good, possibly immoral, not good for our world. No reason to call her decisions "poor choices" either. Nor did she state she wanted to "leave $ to her heirs "at taxpayer expense" since she has no kids.. These are rude comments possibly coming from some people who may have brains who have a bent towards the nefarious, so assume everyone else does too.

As she said, she worked an honest days work for yrs in the clerical field. She's done nothing wrong here so let's not try to deceive others into thinking otherwise. Again, the moving to Kentucky or Arkansas sounds to me like the best solution here since she has no children. Or maybe she could afford to buy an RV and live in a Park. I'd rather pay rent of like $750 a month living in my RV inside a nice RV park in our area versus a subsidized apartment for sure. More freedom & safer. JMHO

Agree with you that this is a last resort that would be available at such a time as someone qualifies for it. I'm not sure all the rentals that qualify for this subsidy in my area are as bad as what your client experienced because they slice off a small pool of units that are available/qualified. I am sure there are some like this, but, not all.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Please don't make false assumptions which paint her in a bad light, it's not necessary. Just ask instead
I did not do that. I was responding to the person who was suggesting that she misrepresent herself. You are misinterpreting me. So stop.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I did not do that. I was responding to the person who was suggesting that she misrepresent herself. You are misinterpreting me. So stop.
There is no one that told her to misrepresent herself, that didn't happen. I am going onto another thread. Have a nice night

Old 01-06-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Agree with you that this is a last resort that would be available at such a time as someone qualifies for it. I'm not sure all the rentals that qualify for this subsidy in my area are as bad as what your client experienced because they slice off a small pool of units that are available/qualified. I am sure there are some like this, but, not all.
Good points, I agree

Old 01-06-2024, 07:11 PM

373 posts, read 312,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
As of May 2023 HUD has posted new rules about eligibility for HUD housing for seniors (see below). When I retire,
Another option is don't retire yet. Keep working as long as you can.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:28 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdean View Post
Another option is don't retire yet. Keep working as long as you can.
72 may be as long as she could.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:27 AM

7,226 posts, read 4,615,545 times
The OP should do whatever benefits her the most while being legal. Wealthy people manipulate their income all the time to qualify for instance for ACA subsidies. So anything she can do to put herself in a better position should be pursued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement