Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 09:02 AM

37,571 posts, read 61,652,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
as someone who has Medicare I wish there was an alternative. its a crappy ins for some of us.
Medicare with its various 'parts' includes a bunch of other expenses. With our existing health insurance, our co-pays have been low. We just can not justify paying so much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
I really am pleased with Medicare. Submariner I would not listen to what an insurance company wants you to do.
It is far too expensive for our blood.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:15 AM

107,224 posts, read 109,579,994 times
my coworker is going for surgery tomorrow . he has the company subsidized insurance. he has a 6k deductible each for his wife and him .

his surgery is going to be 5700

medicare and a supplement is heaven compared to my aca silver plan and cobra when i had it.

it blows away the work insurance for what i pay

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-11-2024 at 09:34 AM..

Old 04-11-2024, 10:57 AM

I have had prostate cancer.

It was first detected by my annual bloodwork.

Which sent me to a urologist, who examined it, and then did a series of tests, an MRI bone scan and a biopsy,
there were a series of appointments with my urologist to discuss options, and eventually, I went through surgery and my prostate was removed.

From the first bloodwork to the final surgery my co-pay was $37.

I did not think that my co-pay was at all out of line.

There were no out-of-pocket expenses.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:42 PM

7,819 posts, read 3,411,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
no , not against medicare out of pockets or deductibles.

. drugs have their own deductibles and out of pocket.

medigap supplements do not cover drug payments.

drugs are on their own .

once you fall in the gap you pay 25% of the cost of the drug up to 8k …. then the plan picks up again .

until next year when it starts over

Okay, thank you Mathjak. I keep struggling to decide to carry my work healthcare into retirement and also add Medicare. I think it's the only option though considering I already know I have a blood cancer. The drug part of cancer might be astronomical.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:57 PM

7,819 posts, read 3,411,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my coworker is going for surgery tomorrow . he has the company subsidized insurance. he has a 6k deductible each for his wife and him .

his surgery is going to be 5700

medicare and a supplement is heaven compared to my aca silver plan and cobra when i had it.

it blows away the work insurance for what i pay

That's bottom of the barrel insurance. 6k should be the out of pocket maximum not the deductible fgs.

People working for Safeway out here have way better medical insurance that that...

Old 04-11-2024, 07:43 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,651,337 times
What I'm struggling with is the Supplemental Insurance I took out when I went on Medicare. It was Plan G and only cost me $94 the first year. Each year it gets raised so that now it's $156 a month. I went to an agent I trust for advice and thought I could hopefully switch to a cheaper Plan G. It doesn't work that way. I'd have to go through underwriting and could be rejected by a new company, or have the rates raised more than what they are currently charging. My agent's advice was stay where I am. He told me he has seen too many people trying to get on cheaper plans just fall through the cracks. I don't get how there can be so many different rates when Plan G coverage is all the same. Anyone in this same situation needs to know if you do get with a different company they can deny paying for any procedure you may need for a certain amount of time after you first get on the plan. I didn't fully understand these Supplemental policies when I turned 65.

Old 04-12-2024, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
That's bottom of the barrel insurance. 6k should be the out of pocket maximum not the deductible fgs.

People working for Safeway out here have way better medical insurance that that...
they have options but he thought he could get away with the cheaper plan ..of course the better plan options are thousands more

Old 04-12-2024, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
What I'm struggling with is the Supplemental Insurance I took out when I went on Medicare. It was Plan G and only cost me $94 the first year. Each year it gets raised so that now it's $156 a month. I went to an agent I trust for advice and thought I could hopefully switch to a cheaper Plan G. It doesn't work that way. I'd have to go through underwriting and could be rejected by a new company, or have the rates raised more than what they are currently charging. My agent's advice was stay where I am. He told me he has seen too many people trying to get on cheaper plans just fall through the cracks. I don't get how there can be so many different rates when Plan G coverage is all the same. Anyone in this same situation needs to know if you do get with a different company they can deny paying for any procedure you may need for a certain amount of time after you first get on the plan. I didn't fully understand these Supplemental policies when I turned 65.
each state is different. some have an age increase as well as normal price increases .

these start cheaper and go up .

our state is community based so we are more expensive day one but it does not go up by age .

we have no medical underwriting either so that makes us more expensive too

a plan g here starts at 2x what you are now paying . i pay 100 for a high deductible supplement that wont pay a thing until we hit 280

so that’s still cheap for a non high deductible g plan in other areas

Old 04-12-2024, 05:19 AM

9,538 posts, read 5,339,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have had prostate cancer.

It was first detected by my annual bloodwork.

Which sent me to a urologist, who examined it, and then did a series of tests, an MRI bone scan and a biopsy,
there were a series of appointments with my urologist to discuss options, and eventually, I went through surgery and my prostate was removed.

From the first bloodwork to the final surgery my co-pay was $37.

I did not think that my co-pay was at all out of line.

There were no out-of-pocket expenses.
Wow. That's outstanding.
When I had cancer (2019) I paid the out of pocket max with BCBS which was $5K. (I had not retired yet so no Medicare at the time). BCBS paid out about $225K for my cancer treatment.
I will be 5 yrs clear this year. Knock on wood.

I pay $2K a year for Medicare Part B, $800 of which is reimbursed to me through BCBS. I still want to explore dropping Part B.
I dropped the 'advantage' plan I foolishly signed up for. That wasn't an 'advantage' for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement