Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 04:20 PM

12,406 posts, read 8,192,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
I’m amazed anyone could have such strong feelings about any of the things on the ops list.
Disco did cause a riot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 04:43 PM

23,382 posts, read 19,006,746 times
TBH, a lot of lists like that are just made from the pop culture of the time. I don't normally feel pop culture is important enough to have such strong feelings about. It is trivial. Regardless of whether its current or looking back at it. Yes, I realize that makes me sound like a snob. Maybe I am. Shoes that fit well are better for your feet...

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-11-2024 at 05:06 PM..

Old 01-11-2024, 04:59 PM

249 posts, read 126,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Not everyone has the opportunity to experience better things as they move through life, so they seem to cling to things that brought them comfort when they were younger, a time when they possibly think they were happier. You're probably more comfortable with yourself now than they are. Those things from the past were relatively harmless, so maybe just feel sorry for the folks who haven't grown much and let them be.
Feel sorry for people who look back on fads from previous decades with fondness and amusement? I think i might sooner feel sorry for people who recall pop culture from 50 years ago with hate. I enjoyed all of it. And I had the most amazing floral bell bottoms!

Old 01-11-2024, 05:12 PM

23,382 posts, read 19,006,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienL View Post
Feel sorry for people who look back on fads from previous decades with fondness and amusement? I think i might sooner feel sorry for people who recall pop culture from 50 years ago with hate. I enjoyed all of it. And I had the most amazing floral bell bottoms!
No one would ever recall me being a walking fashion plate but there was a pair of deep purple polyester (that shiny, slimy double knit stuff that would even repel water ) bell bottoms I loved for a while. The "bells" even had pleats so they'd flap around your ankles even more than regular bell bottoms would. You were supposed to pair those with Clydesdale worthy platform shoes, but I was already approaching 6' tall and loomed over my classmates. Platforms would have made me stick out like an even sorer thumb. These days, the memory of that outfit might make my toes curl a little bit .

Old 01-11-2024, 05:20 PM

249 posts, read 126,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
No one would ever recall me being a walking fashion plate but there was a pair of deep purple polyester (that shiny, slimy double knit stuff that would even repel water ) bell bottoms I loved for a while. The "bells" even had pleats so they'd flap around your ankles even more than regular bell bottoms would. You were supposed to pair those with Clydesdale worthy platform shoes, but I was already approaching 6' tall and loomed over my classmates. Platforms would have made me stick out like an even sorer thumb. These days, the memory of that outfit might make my toes curl a little bit .
You certainly painted a fun mental image!!

Old 01-11-2024, 05:31 PM

16,573 posts, read 10,683,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't think of them, but others talkj about them. I have never seen a "Starwars" movie. No interest.
Wait, can you say that again, slowly? You . . . NEVER . . . saw . . . a . . . Star . . . Wars . . . movie? Ever? Not even once? Not even the original one? Wow. I never knew such people actually existed in real life.

As far as nostalgia that I don't share in goes, fondness for the 1960s tops my list. It was before my time, but from what I know about it, I could never understand why some people (cough Baby Boomers cough) idolized it so much. To me, there were a lot of things about the Sixties that were quite a bit less than praiseworthy. I supposed that could be said about any era, but it seemed much more pronounced in terms of the Sixties. Maybe it was because, for a time, Sixties nostalgia was all the rage. And I truly did get sick of it.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:33 PM

2,525 posts, read 2,081,549 times
Quote:
I’m amazed anyone could have such strong feelings about any of the things on the ops list.

Ditto

Old 01-11-2024, 05:42 PM

19,879 posts, read 9,431,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Wait, can you say that again, slowly? You . . . NEVER . . . saw . . . a . . . Star . . . Wars . . . movie? Ever? Not even once? Not even the original one? Wow. I never knew such people actually existed in real life.

As far as nostalgia that I don't share in goes, fondness for the 1960s tops my list. It was before my time, but from what I know about it, I could never understand why some people (cough Baby Boomers cough) idolized it so much. To me, there were a lot of things about the Sixties that were quite a bit less than praiseworthy. I supposed that could be said about any era, but it seemed much more pronounced in terms of the Sixties. Maybe it was because, for a time, Sixties nostalgia was all the rage. And I truly did get sick of it.
Well, of course, you are entitled to have that opinion, but imo, the best things about the 60's were (1) the music, (2) the almost complete freedom to "do your own thing", and that included sexual freedom (thanks to The Pill), (3) increased awareness about injustice towards some groups and many major advances in equal rights for "minorities" and women, and (4) the naivete that most people still thought that ordinary people had the power to change what they didn't like and make the world a MUCH better place for everyone. There are probably other things, but those are the things that came first to my mind. On the downside, however, were LBJ, Nixon, and Vietnam.

FYI, although I was born in 1953, I think the best years overall were the JFK years -- but that is just my personal opinion, of course.

P.S. And I also loved the fashions then, too, even though many of them look somewhat ridiculous by today's fashion standards!

Old 01-11-2024, 05:53 PM

256 posts, read 118,913 times
Quote:
The OP's list :
Quote:
1. Discos, "Saturday Night Fever", "The Bee Gees" and John Travolta.

2. "The Brady Bunch", "Welcome Back Kotter" "Happy Days" and "The Partridge Family"

3. Farrah Fawcett Hairstyles

4. Plaid Bell Bottoms or "flairs"

6. Neon Orange anything, macaroni, Cheetos, shag carpets, wallpaper or cars.
So, are you saying you lived in the 70's, and had no idea that these items were BIG!!!

Disco music, "The Partridge Family", Farrah's hair, bell bottoms and bright orange - were all hot, hot, hot!!!

Old 01-11-2024, 06:51 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,216,660 times
Yeah I don't get why they'd make you sick or why you would think about them 50 years later in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement