Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 06:33 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
Sorry Mighty Queen, David Cassidy was mine. How could he have resisted me at 14 with my gaucho pants, smock tops and granny gowns?
Smock tops! I loved them. My mom taught me to sew because I was too tall to buy a lot of clothes in stores (the first thing I ever made was a green calico maxi skirt with a ruffle on the bottom, and I made a white peasant blouse to go with it). I made a couple of smocks.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:40 AM

10,112 posts, read 6,458,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
Taxi
Laverne & Shirley
Starsky and Hutch
Dallas

Weren't too bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm another one. Never saw a Star Wars movie, either.

And now I have a daughter who is a mega-Star-Wars buff. She has a necklace with the name of three of the characters. She has collectible Star Wars thingers. She's gone to special Star Wars events at Disney or something (I'm not a Disney fan, either--she goes all the time with her best friend.) She's 32 years old and has a PhD and a good job but this is what she loves to do. It's weird, but there can be worse things.

I keep telling myself I have to at least watch the original movie. Never was a big sci-fi fan, but I did watch all of Star Trek NG. Some of the story lines were very meaningful in a humanity kind of way.
Yes, you should at least watch the original, first Star Wars film. I still remember seeing it at a theatre in Towson, MD. I also remember attending a concert directed by John Williams, who wrote the score for Star Wars (also Schindler's List, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and the first few Harry Potter movies). When the orchestra played the main theme and the Imperial March, the hairs on my neck stood up. It was that overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 08:09 AM

30,575 posts, read 16,263,911 times
I agree-watch the 1st one. Ignore the rest.
Caveat: I also liked the 1st Tremors movie. and the 1st Howling.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Yes, you should at least watch the original, first Star Wars film. I still remember seeing it at a theatre in Towson, MD. I also remember attending a concert directed by John Williams, who wrote the score for Star Wars (also Schindler's List, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and the first few Harry Potter movies). When the orchestra played the main theme and the Imperial March, the hairs on my neck stood up. It was that overwhelming.
I know who John Williams is! Daughter is a big fan, too, predating Star Wars, because they played his music way back when she was in the high school band.

I remember the TV ads for the movie in advance of it coming out. I just had no interest in space movies. I would be more open-minded to it now, because now I know the value of sci-fi and fantasy demonstrating human behavior and the way a writer can get a message across using fantastic situations and creatures.

Old 01-12-2024, 12:51 PM

5,595 posts, read 6,524,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I would give $$ to own a bassomatic.
Ebay has 211 items when you type in the search box "bassomatic".

Old 01-12-2024, 12:57 PM

5,595 posts, read 6,524,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I’ve never seen a Star Wars movie either.
Me either, by choice. Not my kind of movie/interest.

Old 01-12-2024, 12:59 PM

1,978 posts, read 946,985 times
Lynryd Skynryd and the Allman Brothers.

I grew up in one band's town and settled in the other. I am in hell.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:23 PM

23,361 posts, read 18,956,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We had wallpaper like that in one of the bathrooms! Huge flowers, orange and yellow and brown. Forgot about that until I read this post.
So did we! I remember my mother getting so excited about "updating" our teensy guest room half bath with giant red, yellow, orange poppy wallpaper. The choice was deliberately daring however. Her decorating taste in general was a lot more subtle than that.

My memories of watching the first Star Wars movie are crystal clear to this day. I was out of college and working as a counselor at a residential summer work camp for teens when it hit the big screen. The whole camp begged to go so we piled everyone in vans and headed to the small town's only theater. I recall the kids dressing up for the occasion (bath towel/bedsheet hero capes, work helmets and safety glasses to suggest space helmets, carrying anything long and pokey to suggest light sabers, etc.) and waiting in a line around the block to get tickets. We counselors were a little embarrassed and mildly alarmed. None of us knew much about it and none had seen it yet. I was skeptical. I love sci fi but hadn't seen a genre movie I felt was decent since 2001 A Space Odyssey in 1968. We staffers arranged to sit away from our ridiculous campers, prepared to be bored by this teeny bopper spectacle.

Within the first 20 minutes we were hooked or at least I was. When a lonely R2D2 rolled down that rocky ravine to get zapped by Jawas I realized I was witnessing something very different indeed. When the theater emptied out, I remember everyone being fired up with suppressed energy, chasing around the dark parking lot, poking sabers at each other, wild-eyed, behaving like maniacs. Back at the camp the duels continued in and around the buildings and surrounding bushes. Even the camp director (a pretty dignified guy) laid himself out in the parking lot pretending to be a victim of some sort of blast gun. It was totally hilarious! After that, whenever the camp director felt the need to dress down a camper for some minor infraction, he'd pass his hand in front of them while doing his best impression of the light saber buzz. OK, sometimes you really have to unclutch your pearls, drop your dignity, and join the fun.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:43 PM

I have no idea how old I was when I saw the term "Jedi" in print and realized for the first time that people were not saying "Jet-Eye", but it was decades after the movie came out.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:47 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Men's hairy chests with shirt buttons undone is the only thing that comes to mind.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement