Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 08:23 PM

10,921 posts, read 7,446,409 times

Advertisements

I just boxed up the last of the "family heirlooms"--a pair of silver plate goblets, an antique cloissoné vase, and a century-old mah jong game--to pass off to my niece. Her dad is visiting tomorrow, and taking it away.

Also dropped off three boxes at goodwill, and started boxing up dollhouse supplies for the miniature museum's rummage sale.

I've done two huge moves since retiring, and lived out of the car for a year (while traveling hither and thither, staying in hotels and AirBnBs), so my clutter is mostly thrift store treasures from the last five years.

Feels good to clear things out, but I've still got plenty for a rockin' estate sale!

Um, I did buy a bookshelf today at goodwill, to store my absurdly large collection of beads and buttons, and bro is bringing a few things he no longer needs. I feel like I'm part of a river of treasures flowing from one place to another. At least it's not a stagnant pond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,067,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
CDs, DVDs, landline, cash, I have a 1948 antique radio that still works -- I love it, many LIMOGE china serving plates from my Mom, lots of pyrex bowls and covered dishes, my grandmother's antique sewing machine and wooden stand, my husband STILL has his college textbooks (ugh -- so stupid), I have my high school and college yearbooks and my cheerleader letter from 9th grade, my Catholic First Communion statue, birthday cards and postcards from long departed relatives (the only ones I save), the handwritten notes people sent me and cards from my mom's funeral, both my parent's obituaries and holy cards, my homemade prom dress from 1970 and several of my mom's 1950's cocktail dresses and purses. Also some Holly Hobbie cake plates from the 1970's as well as a Holly Hobbie embroidered pillow.
One of the reasons why we cling to things like disks is because.......

........WE GET TIRED OF HAVING TO BUY THE SAME THINGS, OVER AND OVER, AGAIN!

Assuming that we can, mind you, for we know what Lucas does.

But anyhow, we bought, say, Bad Animals by HEART in LP, then in cassette, then in CD, and then in who knows what.

When is enough is enough????

Old 01-14-2024, 11:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,776 posts, read 58,229,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

But anyhow, we bought, say, Bad Animals by HEART in LP, then in cassette, then in CD, and then in who knows what.

RIP to mp3. (WAV, FLAC, and M4A....)

Good use of rainy day or blizzard / cold snap (when power stays on)

Friends who have high AV interests have networked and mass accessible storage and linked devices throughout their home. They have all their media digitized. From 8mm home movies, all their cassettes, VCR (and beta), DVDs, Blu-ray....

I'm impressed with those who have mastered this minor detail. (I'll never get around to it).

Old 01-15-2024, 12:00 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,209,417 times
Quote:
If you've got it.....but as I have often pointed out, cell phone service out at the ranch sucks and further, even if you have been without power for days, you can still use the land line to call.

I still have a landline but a couple of years ago it also began to stop working when the power was out. It also breaks every year and takes a week or two to fix.
Rural life........

Old 01-15-2024, 06:03 AM

7,714 posts, read 3,334,322 times
Quote:
One of the reasons why we cling to things like disks is because.......

You forgot 8-track.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:04 AM

6,508 posts, read 3,194,055 times
Quote:
I understand your original thoughts, as I, too, have gone through the different "generations" of musical playback, too. However, as a "car guy", I have a different take on your mention of having to buy the same commodities over and over. I do quite a bit of maintenance on the "family fleet" of cars. These tasks require various oils, waxes, and other chemicals, etc.

Usually, the task doesn't consume the entire container of the product, so what do you do? Do you dispose of the unused portion, and buy more, the next time you're doing that job, or keep it for future use? I'm not rich, so I elect to save rather than toss. I have an entire shelving unit of partially used products. Yes, they'll eventually be "used up", but in the meantime, they're taking up space in my garage and basement.....

Old 01-15-2024, 06:05 AM

7,714 posts, read 3,334,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I understand your original thoughts, as I, too, have gone through the different "generations" of musical playback, too. However, as a "car guy", I have a different take on your mention of having to buy the same commodities over and over. I do quite a bit of maintenance on the "family fleet" of cars. These tasks require various oils, waxes, and other chemicals, etc.

Usually, the task doesn't consume the entire container of the product, so what do you do? Do you dispose of the unused portion, and buy more, the next time you're doing that job, or keep it for future use? I'm not rich, so I elect to save rather than toss. I have an entire shelving unit of partially used products. Yes, they'll eventually be "used up", but in the meantime, they're taking up space in my garage and basement.....
You might find some of that stuff is long expired.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:22 AM

6,508 posts, read 3,194,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
You might find some of that stuff is long expired.
True, but I haven't yet come across an expiration date for oils and waxes. Brake fluid, most definitely....

Old 01-15-2024, 06:40 AM

17,424 posts, read 22,176,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Is clothing the topic here? If so, I’m still in Levi 501s, b/c I like them! Why change?
Ok..........I had a ridiculously comfortable pair of 505's and they got ripped badly in the legs. I actually cut the tag off the back so I would know exactly what kind I need to replace them with. I cut the legs off yesterday to use as oil rags when changing oil and the rest got thrown out.

I'd pay $100 for another pair right now.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:42 AM

17,424 posts, read 22,176,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post

I've got that shelf too but after a recent move I got rid of "a lot" of 1/4 cans. I bet I threw out 30 cans of old spray paint as well. It went to the local county recycling center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement