Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 04:38 PM

1,196 posts, read 529,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I, too, would like to see the discussion broaden to "difficulty doing things" in general. Anyone else suffer from pathological procrastination as they age?
Yes - this is what I was trying to get at. I just focused on taxes, because that's my latest nemesis, but when I get done with taxes it will be updating my advance health care directive and redoing my trust - none of which I want to do - I have been procrastinating on those tasks for awhile. I never had that problem before but I just don't have the intrinsic motivation to do things I don't want to do - and I used to be very motivated to do everything and anything that came down the pike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 07:16 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Yes - this is what I was trying to get at...I never had that problem before, but I just don't have the intrinsic motivation to do things I don't want to do - and I used to be very motivated to do everything and anything that came down the pike.
Same; I understand. And even things that should be a pleasure, like sitting down and mapping out the trips I want to take this year (so the schedules don't conflict with each other) and working out the logistics get shoved to the back burner, even though I very much want to do those things. It's puzzling! I just seem to have lost all my drive and ambition - as well as motivation - for even the smallest tasks. I didn't send out Christmas cards for the first time in decades even though I wanted and planned to. Day after day, it just didn't happen. Dishes and laundry, for example, which I used to dash off without a thought on weekends between other activities while I was working, now sit and wait to a ridiculous degree, and it takes a Herculean effort to even begin them. It's as if I'm torpid; all rather strange. Yet if I have someplace to go, something to do, or someone to see, I have no problem at all getting up, getting ready, and getting myself out the door, and I enjoy that.

What do you, OP, think is behind this phenomenon?

Old 02-04-2024, 10:09 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Title says it all. I can't stand getting my taxes ready for my accountant. I have rental properties so have to include all of the expenses and it's a pain in the booty.

I am just SICK OF IT. I hate it. It takes literally days - I feel I have to list everything; recap everything. Ugh.

I'm in mid-old-age and just wonder how much longer I can possibly do this and also how other old people do it.
I just do it

If you don't want to do it. Put everything in a bag and take it to H&R or CPA

Old 02-05-2024, 05:32 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,686 times
I dont even like doing the things I used to enjoy doing anymore. Love the idea of them, but have no interest in actually partaking in them.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:31 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,748,456 times
I have a separate checking account for our rental with its own debit card and every single expense gets paid out of that account, either by auto-pay, check, or debit card. Then it's simple to take the statements for the year and transfer them to an excel spreadsheet that's already set up with the vendor names and various columns for each expense category needed for the tax forms. The spreadsheet totals the various categories and voila! Enter those figures into Turbo Tax and e-file. Easy-peasy.

Old 02-05-2024, 06:39 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,254,414 times
I hate doing taxes, too. So my "solution" is to get it done with as soon as I can. I duplicate last year's spreadsheets and note to my accountant, and change them as needed. But the template is there for each task, and I'm not re-inventing the wheel each year.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:58 AM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times
I always have a list of things that need to be done and if I have a day with nothing planned I work on completing items on my list. I find it very satisfying to cross things off the list. Also now that I’m not working full time I have the time to keep my house immaculate which also feels good.

I always do my spring cleaning in April but had a bad snowstorm so was home for a few days so did it all. Then I realized February is a much better month to accomplish those tasks versus wasting the good weather in April. I put everything on my calendar so next year when I get to February it will remind me to spring clean.

I gathered all my tax paperwork and emailed it to my son as soon as I received it. I actually don’t understand procrastination at all. I will be 70 this year but in fact the older I get the more on top of things I am.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I always have a list of things that need to be done and if I have a day with nothing planned I work on completing items on my list. I find it very satisfying to cross things off the list.

Also now that I’m not working full time I have the time to keep my house immaculate which also feels good.

I always do my spring cleaning in April...I actually don’t understand procrastination at all. I will be 70 this year but in fact the older I get the more on top of things I am.
Yes, we know; your life is perfect, and you can never relate to those of us experiencing difficulties or problems. Thanks, as always, for jumping in and sharing!

Old 02-05-2024, 08:25 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I may procrastinate a tad more because I have much more free time, so easy to say "I'll do it later". The less time I have, the more I get done.

But for the most part I'm pretty structured, some things get done once a week, some I do every 6 months (like baseboards and moulding), some things are "projects" (this winter is touch up paint), and finishing all my half done hobbies (finishing a blanket in time to visit later this month). Winter is normally the time we make all our summer travel reservations - happy to report 95% done!

My brain divides things up into "boxes", first box is the normal day-to-day stuff that gets done (bathroom cleaning, laundry, cooking), then the small project box (right now I need to put up hanging plants, etc), so I pick a couple of those for the next day (I always have a list of those projects and set a goal of some of them for the next week, depending on our schedule), exercise is always worked into the weekly schedule, and then bigger projects and travel.

I know myself pretty well (the obstacles I put in my own way), so I have ways to "trick" myself. Say I had a huge stack of paperwork to go through (wouldn't happen ) and I REALLY didn't want to do it.

I tell myself "just open all the paperwork and throw away the stuff that doesn't need any action" and that's all I have to do.

What usually happens is:

Oh, I'll just pay the bills and leave the rest
This stack of needed responses is small I'll just do that
I'll just file them to clean up and leave the rest.
There is not much remaining! I'll just finish it up.

I just give myself permission to stop at any point, which makes me feel better, and it normally gets done in full.

It's the exact same process I use for cardio and weights everyday.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 02-05-2024 at 08:59 AM..

Old 02-05-2024, 08:50 AM

7,078 posts, read 4,517,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes, we know; your life is perfect, and you can never relate to those of us experiencing difficulties or problems. Thanks, as always, for jumping in and sharing!
My life is far from perfect and I have had many heartbreaks but I choose to focus on what I can do to make my life better. Lists are one way I keep on track. Focusing on the negative would just make my remaining years miserable and that’s not how I choose to live. I have 2 close friends who each lost a child and nothing is worse but neither of them gave up and are living the best they can given their circumstances. Whatever we focus on increases in our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement