Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 08:34 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

I, too, love the dog park idea (obviously), but gifting them money while still alive is different from bequeathing it to them after your death. On the one hand, you get to personally see and enjoy dogs benefitting from it! On the other... I guess you don't worry about running out and needing it later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 08:49 AM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Marino, what a wonderful gift you gave to the city!! If I didn’t have kids to leave my money to it would go to dog causes.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:13 AM

409 posts, read 871,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Same questions.

I drew up a will several years ago with a local attorney, who eventually died and went out of business -- obviously, but his partner had also died in the interim, so the firm completely shut down and the building was sold. When I went on a search for my will, which I assumed had either been "taken over" by another attorney or was at least "on file" somewhere so that there would be a legal, enforceable copy of it somewhere (although I hadn't thought out how it would be known that I was dead), I was told no; I probably had the original and any copies were destroyed, so here I go again!

What assurances do you have in the event that "this one attorney" can't fulfill his duties?

It now seems simpler to just enjoy it while I'm alive! That's an entirely new concept for me, but I'm slowly warming up to it...
Wait a minute, that can't be right. Normally when a lawyer who is still practicing dies, the bar association/local lawyers set up an arrangement where other lawyers take over the files and contact the various clients to make arrangements get the files to them. We had the same thing happen here a year or so ago where a laywer died and the local bar took over the office/files to close them.

I would contact the Bar Association in your state to see what arrangements were made for your prior attorney's files.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:50 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
I, too, love the dog park idea (obviously), but gifting them money while still alive is different from bequeathing it to them after your death. On the one hand, you get to personally see and enjoy dogs benefitting from it! On the other... I guess you don't worry about running out and needing it later?
It wasn't anything that would break the bank. I never did donate money, but rather I purchased the equipment and spoke with the city manager before doing so, telling him what my plan was.

I would like to do similar things for different organizations as I age. I do have siblings but they don't need anything I have.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:59 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I would like to do similar things for different organizations as I age. I do have siblings but they don't need anything I have.
If you don't want sibs to contest the will, I think you have to write them out by name. At least that was the case in Massachusetts. My one sib is dead so I have no problem.

Old 02-27-2024, 12:58 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I came back to see how the OP's post was doing & found this "joke", post #204.

Spinster is a intensely disparaging word.

I fail to see the humor in this "joke".

How is this in any way helpful to the OP?
It is indirectly saying that OP should spend her money on what pleases her now.

She doesn’t need to worry and doesn’t need to leave anything to anyone - unless it brings her pleasure and joy to give it all/part of it away NOW.

“Let the county bury her”

Old 02-27-2024, 01:48 PM

23,264 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Someone made the comment here about bequeathing anything to a less-than-perfect organization. Assuming the giver agrees with that organization's purpose and intent, before dismissing them as unworthy, they could consider making it possible for that organization to improve themselves so they can achieve more! An injection of funds at a critical moment and leverage might make a huge difference. But that's an optimist speaking. A pessimist will never see that. Of course, some organization with an ongoing history of fraud or abuse might be different. Up to a giver to do their due diligence.

I think everyone who plans to leave their money with anyone needs to reach a degree of peace about the outcome. No one can completely control what happens to an arrow after it leaves the bow. They can aim it as carefully as possible of course but they can't guarantee it will actually hit the bullseye. A lot of unexpected can happen during the flight.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Wait a minute, that can't be right. Normally when a lawyer who is still practicing dies, the bar association/local lawyers set up an arrangement where other lawyers take over the files and contact the various clients to make arrangements get the files to them. We had the same thing happen here a year or so ago where a laywer died and the local bar took over the office/files to close them.

I would contact the Bar Association in your state to see what arrangements were made for your prior attorney's files.
As I've said twice now...not necessarily. The bar association in my state TOLD ME on the phone that's this isn't not the case, at least here... The deceased attorney doesn't have to "pass along" anything. I even called another attorney to verify this, which he did (thankfully gratis). As I've also said, no, the "clerk of the courts" doesn't have anything to do with wills, at least here, until probate AFTER the person has died. I've now talked to three people there and gotten the same answer. So there's no one to oversee/enact my will unless and until I designate (and pay) someone to do so.

Last edited by otterhere; 02-27-2024 at 02:37 PM..

Old 02-27-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If you don't want sibs to contest the will, I think you have to write them out by name. At least that was the case in Massachusetts. My one sib is dead so I have no problem.
I've always heard you have to leave "the lawful heirs" SOMETHING, even if only one dollar, or they can contest it.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:21 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Quote:
I've always heard you have to leave "the lawful heirs" SOMETHING, even if only one dollar, or they can contest it.
I wrote my sister out by name and the estate lawyer said that's all that's necessary,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement