Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2024, 02:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
My lawyer will take her fee from my estate. I left a message about funeral arrangements (cheapest cremation, don't care about the ashes) and she knows she doesn't need keys to my back door.
Who is overseeing this to ensure that she doesn't take the whole estate as her "fee"? Not that she would, and not that you would care at that point, but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 02:22 PM

94 posts, read 41,645 times
Quote:
My lawyer will take her fee from my estate. I left a message about funeral arrangements (cheapest cremation, don't care about the ashes) and she knows she doesn't need keys to my back door.
You seem to have it well organized. There is a lawyer in NYC that had a YouTube channel and has written a book on solo agers. He speaks of handling everything including having the apartment or house emptied and sold as well as the financial stuff.

Old 02-16-2024, 03:12 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Who is overseeing this to ensure that she doesn't take the whole estate as her "fee"? Not that she would, and not that you would care at that point, but still...

No one is overseeing. The animal shelter lawyers are recipients of my estate and will probably pay her. As I've said, the house is the most that I leave and the shelter will take possession of that.

If there was someone to oversee, who oversees that person? Hall of mirrors.

Old 02-16-2024, 03:31 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
No one is overseeing.

If there was someone to oversee, who oversees that person? Hall of mirrors.
Again, it would seem a trust COMPANY would be more trustworthy than any one individual.

Old 02-16-2024, 03:46 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Well, then that's what you should do.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:52 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
What is TNC ? Technically, you are supposed to spell out the first time usage and then abbreviate thereafter.
As used in my posts, The Nature Conservancy. Well respected NGO.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence753 View Post
Do you give your lawyer the keys to your house? Is she in charge of funeral arrangements?
Do you leave a bank account behind for lawyer?
If I as an elder orphan die at home alone unexpectedly someone who discovers that fact obviously found a way inside. Ever heard of a locksmith? Whoever discovers me could also contact the local hospital who will have an emergency contact listed in my patient file. Local emergency entities do communicate and mine won't be the first death they've ever had to deal with.

My final wishes and pertinent documents are right where most logical people can find them. I would hope the person tasked with conducting a welfare check was ethical and wouldn't take unfair advantage of the situation, but I cannot completely safeguard against it. No one can. They can obviously turn the situation over to a local authority who will locate my will/directives, contact my executor, family, and hand over the keys.

If I happen to be hospitalized when I die, they'll have my keys and can turn them over to my emergency contact. Most likely, the hospital I end up in will be local. Unless I lose my mind, get a wild hair and decide to take a last minute jaunt to Tibet. Not very likely. The local hospital already keeps a copy of my advanced directive on file or they could get it from my PCP. It includes emergency contact information.

My advanced directive includes instructions what to do with my remains. I am confident my executor can front the expenses until a probate court issues them a decree to access estate funds. They can reimburse themselves when they settle the estate.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-16-2024 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
IME attorneys provide their fee schedules up front. The estate attorney I used to settle my parents' estates certainly did and they provided a detailed summary of expenditures and billable hours to all the heirs when probate concluded. Down to 15 minute intervals. My designated executor provided me with theirs. Once I'm dead, all I can do is trust that they'll honor it. Of course, my heirs could object if they think something's fishy but that's their problem, not mine.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-16-2024 at 06:36 PM..

Old 02-16-2024, 11:32 PM

450 posts, read 461,513 times
Not mentioned but your local fire department can always use extra funding for equipment and trucks. You can talk with them or if you have an area of interest, water rescue or edical response, you can put stipulations on it.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:15 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
Not mentioned but your local fire department can always use extra funding for equipment and trucks. You can talk with them or if you have an area of interest, water rescue or edical response, you can put stipulations on it.
Glad you mentioned this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement