Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2024, 06:52 PM

23,352 posts, read 18,930,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If your lawyer is your executor, what if he/she dies, as mine did, or retires? Does the responsibility automatically go to another lawyer in the firm, assuming yours has partners (mine didn't), or...???
That's why I chose a trust company/firm instead of a single person practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 06:56 PM

23,352 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence753 View Post
Couldn’t the beneficiary or beneficiaries named in the will just take a list of the assets to a lawyer and have the lawyer handle everything for a fee. Is it really necessary to have a professional executor before hand?
My NGO beneficiary commonly gets bequests like mine. One of the reasons I chose them. They can handle bequests inhouse. Why add to the list of potential players? They might farm out specific tasks (like liquidating personal property at the house) but frankly they can do whatever they want. At that point I'm beyond caring about those details. My will includes bequests of sentimental items to specific people I know would appreciate them. I don't care about the rest.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-14-2024 at 07:13 PM..

Old 02-14-2024, 07:09 PM

10,366 posts, read 8,004,461 times
Most of my assets are in brokerage accounts, so they will pass POD to the designated beneficiaries (nearly all are charities, but I do have one or two friends named). Everything else goes to charity as well, as mentioned in my will. The trust department of a local bank has the role of executor.

The state can always play the role of executor, as well. The most important thing is to have a valid will, and make sure other people know you have a will and know where to find it, and to have beneficiaries designated on all your financial accounts!

Old 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,757,486 times
Quote:
As I say, they aren't worth much, so I don't care what happens to them.
Why don't you ask one of your neighbors if they want the house?

Old 02-14-2024, 08:59 PM

1,832 posts, read 813,652 times
I was making a sick joke before. IMO, you're spending too much time thinking about your death while you are still alive. I worked in an area where county probate sales took place. There was would be a preview of the belongings of those who died intestate. I was very young then but still found it disturbing to watch strangers pawing through the deceased's belongings. But, it's just stuff. If you can't decide, your local government will decide for you, however children & animals will always need help. Good grief, live your life.

Old 02-15-2024, 12:11 AM

7,660 posts, read 3,290,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Have my advance directives on my refrigerator along with dog sitter name and number, lawyer/executor and phone lock number.
That is a good idea. I am aching to ask you your age. I am 61 and I think as I approach another 5 years and start to do stuff like I am looking at it on my refrigerator every day...

Old 02-15-2024, 12:17 AM

7,660 posts, read 3,290,883 times
Quote:
Is that a state requirement? I never heard of that and I'm leaving my estate to a humane society. Now, my accounts are not the primary thing and won't be, the sale of my house is.
I have been able to add charities to my accounts. You just need their EIN number (which is readily available.).

Otter, Just do a simple will for the properties. You can allocate amongst charities. The will covers everything where you do not designate a specific beneficiary. Unfortunately, you do sometimes need to update them.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:44 AM

6,480 posts, read 3,170,351 times
Quote:
If your lawyer is your executor, what if he/she dies, as mine did, or retires? Does the responsibility automatically go to another lawyer in the firm, assuming yours has partners (mine didn't), or...???
You do have a point, but I considered that, and did what "brightdoglover" did, in the post I quoted, below...

Quote:
I chose a younger lawyer so the chances are that she'll outlive me. Her senior lawyer did retire. I assume any responsible lawyer would have made arrangements with someone in case of incapacitation or such.
That's what my wife and I did, as we've already outlived our two (individually) previous lawyers.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:42 AM

3,065 posts, read 2,046,984 times
Simplest solution for leaving money is to name a beneficiary on your bank accounts, you mentioned credit union is where you keep your money. If you have several beneficiaries (people or non-profits) you can open individual accounts in your own name and have different beneficiaries.

Certificates of deposit (CD's) will have to be renewed each time they mature with new beneficiaries.

I like the idea of posting your important information on your refrigerator unless it is too depressing. to see daily.
Might be enjoyable though imagining the happiness of the beneficiaries.

We moved to a new city/new state near relatives and need a lawyer to write a new will because each state has unique requirements. Would I name the lawyer as executor? No, because without someone overseeing them they might not be better than an outsider. Saw it happen with a relatives estate, lawyer charged huge amount as executor. Why? Because he could.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:13 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
That is a good idea. I am aching to ask you your age. I am 61 and I think as I approach another 5 years and start to do stuff like I am looking at it on my refrigerator every day...
Almost 71, in generally good health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement