Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2024, 09:38 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I like the idea of being around people who are my age and retired. In regular neighborhoods everything seems to be geared towards working families - any activity is in the evening or on the weekends with very little going on during the daytime. There are lots of tot lots, basketball courts, recreational kid sports, school centered volunteering, kids' swim teams, scouting but not much in the way of activities geared towards active retirees.

I've aged out of walking groups with young moms who push babies in strollers - especially if they jog! I'm too "young" for the senior center activities, plus it's too far away for me to go to on any regular basis. The cost of joining a golf club is prohibitive. Gym classes tend to be more advanced than I want. I love trails but these days it's not a good idea to hike them alone. Too many wackos in this world.

The Villages - nicely kept up, early to bed, early to rise, a nice variety of activities geared for active 55+. We will definitely do a lifestyle visit.
You don’t have to live in FL to be in this type community. We live in a development in a western NC, while not technically a 55+ community, consists of about 98% 55+ people. The people here are the most friendly of any place we’ve ever lived. There are so many activities, every day could be filled, if you wanted. I understand FL has no state income tax, but when you take into consideration ALL taxes, it doesn’t come out that far ahead of some other states ( we did a through analysis of all FL taxes versus those of some other states) Plus many states have more natural beauty than FL. milder weather, and no hurricsne risk.

Last edited by Lizap; 03-28-2024 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 09:54 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
I'm quite familiar with the online order picking system at Walmart. Those workers work HARD and there is a fair amount of turnover. If one person calls out or quits, home deliveries can't be made - especially to far flung addresses. This is one area of the store that sometimes needs to pull workers from other departments to help pick the orders and have them ready in time for customer pickup. So it does not surprise me that you have delivery issues.

I would suggest using the online ordering app and then picking it up at the store. The employees will do the shopping for you and bring it out to your car when you come to pick it up.

If the store is not convenient for you, maybe order monthly and buy in bulk and then freeze.
Around here, Walmart just goes through DoorDashers - the people delivering the orders aren't Walmart employees. With it being through DoorDash, there's actually no guarantee that you'll get that order, but that's never how Walmart touts that membership plan.

Somewhere like The Villages is affluent, fairly compact, and would have enough demand to where a delivery service like this is probably going to work well.

Can you find places like this in NC? Absolutely, but The Villages is sort of geared toward the needs of older folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We’re at 2,650 ft. elevation in western NC and have had no snow in 2 years. The weather here is about as perfect as it gets. Winters have become relatively mild and summer temps almost never reach 90; typical summertime highs are in the upper 70s and sometimes low to middle 80s. Humidity is mild relative to what we were use to on the Gulf Coast.
Yeah, I think people are dramatically overstating the NC winters. To me, the worst isn't cold or snow, to a point, but dreary grey skies that go on for days on end. There are usually a good bit of sunny days interspersed with the bad ones, even in January or February.

By March, things are turning the corner. We get all four seasons with a mild summer in the mountains. Overall, it's much better than FL weather IMO. You can always fly from Asheville and being in FL in two hours or so to knock the edge off.

Old 03-28-2024, 09:55 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
You don’t have to live in FL to be in this type community. We live in a development in a western NC, while not technically a 55+ community, consists of about 98% 55+ people. The people here are the most friendly of any place we’ve ever lived. There are so many activities, every day could be filled, if you wanted. I understand FL has no state income tax, but when you take into consideration ALL taxes, it doesn’t come out that far ahead of some other states ( we did a through analysis of all FL taxes versus those of some other states) Plus many states have more natural beauty than FL. milder weather, and no hurricsne risk.
I actually love parts of NC. It is not entirely out of the question that we could move there for retirement. Being within a day trip of the Outerbanks would be amazing. When we were in our 30's and 40's we could have easily seen ourselves retiring to OBX and living there quite happily. But flash forward to us nearing 60 and the idea of hiking dunes while carrying beach gear and climbing up those steps in a beach house or to a crow's nest is.....we could do it but would it be smart for us to do that now on a daily basis...Plus the storm threats, washed out roads. Not sure that we would be up for that on a regular basis.

Florida has a pull for us as well and I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are some mighty gorgeous beaches and amazing attractions in Florida.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:22 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
I like the idea of being around people who are my age and retired. In regular neighborhoods everything seems to be geared towards working families - any activity is in the evening or on the weekends with very little going on during the daytime. There are lots of tot lots, basketball courts, recreational kid sports, school centered volunteering, kids' swim teams, scouting but not much in the way of activities geared towards active retirees.

I've aged out of walking groups with young moms who push babies in strollers - especially if they jog! I'm too "young" for the senior center activities, plus it's too far away for me to go to on any regular basis. The cost of joining a golf club is prohibitive. Gym classes tend to be more advanced than I want. I love trails but these days it's not a good idea to hike them alone. Too many wackos in this world.

The Villages - nicely kept up, early to bed, early to rise, a nice variety of activities geared for active 55+. We will definitely do a lifestyle visit.
Don`t be to sure on the early to bed, early to rise. There are many party animals in The Villages, most of the homes are on top of each other....choose your neighbors carefully....ask questions of all neighbors, as to what goes on at night.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Don`t be to sure on the early to bed, early to rise. There are many party animals in The Villages, most of the homes are on top of each other....choose your neighbors carefully....ask questions of all neighbors, as to what goes on at night.
My husband and I can party and we still do occasional bar hopping. We don't mind parties - like the block parties they have in The Villages. Of course, we don't want to live right next to obnoxious drunks who make a racket outside late at night.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Around here, Walmart just goes through DoorDashers - the people delivering the orders aren't Walmart employees. With it being through DoorDash, there's actually no guarantee that you'll get that order, but that's never how Walmart touts that membership plan.

Somewhere like The Villages is affluent, fairly compact, and would have enough demand to where a delivery service like this is probably going to work well.

Can you find places like this in NC? Absolutely, but The Villages is sort of geared toward the needs of older folks.

Yeah, I think people are dramatically overstating the NC winters. To me, the worst isn't cold or snow, to a point, but dreary grey skies that go on for days on end. There are usually a good bit of sunny days interspersed with the bad ones, even in January or February.

By March, things are turning the corner. We get all four seasons with a mild summer in the mountains. Overall, it's much better than FL weather IMO. You can always fly from Asheville and being in FL in two hours or so to knock the edge off.
We did not have very many extended periods of 'grey' days this winter where we live. It was 'grey' for a day or two at most, and followed by beautiful sunny, mild weather. Love the year-round weather here and the four seasons.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I actually love parts of NC. It is not entirely out of the question that we could move there for retirement. Being within a day trip of the Outerbanks would be amazing. When we were in our 30's and 40's we could have easily seen ourselves retiring to OBX and living there quite happily. But flash forward to us nearing 60 and the idea of hiking dunes while carrying beach gear and climbing up those steps in a beach house or to a crow's nest is.....we could do it but would it be smart for us to do that now on a daily basis...Plus the storm threats, washed out roads. Not sure that we would be up for that on a regular basis.

Florida has a pull for us as well and I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are some mighty gorgeous beaches and amazing attractions in Florida.
I agree about the beaches. If you're a beach person, the beaches around Destin are hard to beat..

Old 03-28-2024, 11:48 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:

Neighbors just bought a second home in the Villages. They like it because it is NOT a sleepy, go-to-bed-early environment.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Neighbors just bought a second home in the Villages. They like it because it is NOT a sleepy, go-to-bed-early environment.
There is nothing wrong about staying up late. But if you take a look at the live cameras in the town squares you will see that things do shut down there on the early side. I'm sure that some folks continue the party at home but I would be surprised if they were throwing loud frat like parties late into the night.

I guess we'll have to go there and see for ourselves. Could be interesting.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:56 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong about staying up late. But if you take a look at the live cameras in the town squares you will see that things do shut down there on the early side. I'm sure that some folks continue the party at home but I would be surprised if they were throwing loud frat like parties late into the night.

I guess we'll have to go there and see for ourselves. Could be interesting.
Not only parties, but day to day living. We have someone who watches TV in their Lanai until late at night. It really can be bothersome, as our bedroom is on that side. Little things you do not think of when looking at homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement