Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2024, 06:09 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We visited a retirement community in early March - they were already scheduling outdoor activities, such as pickleball and golf tee times very early in the morning.
I prefer early morning outdoor exercise as a general rule. The air seems fresher and I like to get out after a good night's sleep.

Indoor activities can be done during the heat of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 06:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I pay the most attention to "feels like" temps that they report.
It's called "the heat index": combined temp and humidity. When temps are in the 90s and humidity levels in the 70s (30% or less is comfortable), which is all summer here, good luck hiking or playing Pickleball... Of course, YMMV!

Old 03-26-2024, 10:31 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm curious; how close are any of these 55+ communities to the actual beach? I'm a beach babe (or at least I used to have a beach babe bod) and love spending all day watching the surf and walking the shore. Are you able to ride a bike or drive a golf cart and park at beach access, or is it a drive?

OP... I, too, am curious why The Villages is even in the mix for you; what is the attraction?
That is the million dollar question. Why would those wanting the proverbial Florida retirement choose a place as far from the coast as possible in an area more known for alligators and mosquitoes versus dolphins and pelicans. It's an hour and 45 minutes to the nearest beach from The Villages, hardly spur of the moment territory and more like a planned trip one would rarely choose to make. The whole Villages concept is baffling to me given its location alone.

Old 03-26-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That is the million dollar question. Why would those wanting the proverbial Florida retirement choose a place as far from the coast as possible in an area more known for alligators and mosquitoes versus dolphins and pelicans. It's an hour and 45 minutes to the nearest beach from The Villages, hardly spur of the moment territory and more like a planned trip one would rarely choose to make. The whole Villages concept is baffling to me given its location alone.
It's inland and I don't know that it has ever been evacuated for a hurricane.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:49 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Why would those wanting the proverbial Florida retirement choose a place as far from the coast as possible in an area more known for alligators and mosquitoes versus dolphins and pelicans....The whole Villages concept is baffling to me given its location alone.
I agree and have never understood why anyone would move to LANDLOCKED Florida, land of sinkholes! The whole point of Florida is to be near the ocean, but that's just me...

Old 03-26-2024, 03:57 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It's inland and I don't know that it has ever been evacuated for a hurricane.
A cat 5 that hit on Gulf side in the right place and moving northeast could have a devastating impact on the Villages. A couple of years ago a category 4 storm hit the Louisiana coast and leveled many parts of a small town a couple of hours from the coast.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:01 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
I agree and have never understood why anyone would move to LANDLOCKED Florida, land of sinkholes! The whole point of Florida is to be near the ocean, but that's just me...
We don’t see anything pretty about inland FL either. We don’t care a lot about beachy areas either as we grew up on the Gulf Coast and know all about hot, humid weather, hurricane risk, and people walking around scantily clad who shouldn’t be.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:00 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Although I don't currently live in Florida, I live in a hot and humid state. At some point every summer, you CAN'T get up and out early enough to beat the humidity; it's just a slightly less horribly hot humidity. You still end up drenched in sweat doing any activity, even before dawn. It's tolerable only if you sit still sipping sweet tea and, in my experience, those who just LOVE summer are mostly sedentary and seldom leave their air-conditioned buildings or cars.
Is there something wrong with sweating? I find it to be healthful as well as a way of cooling off during hot weather conditions. Some people talk as if a little sweat is going to kill them.

During the summer, I play golf and do other activities that will produce sweat, and it hasn't killed me yet. In fact, I would argue that getting exercise and working up a sweat is actually good for me... and probably you too. Perhaps you should try it.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:12 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. I've lived in central Florida for 21+ years and have no desire to visit the beaches. About 15 years ago, my wife and I decided to visit one of the nice beaches on the Gulf side for about 3 days. After the first day, we were both ready to leave. In fact, we cut the 3-day visit to two days in order to return to our place AWAY from the beach.

I don't live in The Villages, but to me, that lifestyle seems MUCH more appealing than lying on a beach or trying to swim in the ocean or getting stung by jellyfish. I'll take a nice, clean, critter-free swimming pool any day. Different strokes.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
A cat 5 that hit on Gulf side in the right place and moving northeast could have a devastating impact on the Villages. A couple of years ago a category 4 storm hit the Louisiana coast and leveled many parts of a small town a couple of hours from the coast.
It's possible but nothing even close to that has ever happened in The Villages. The storms weaken going over land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement