Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2024, 02:38 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I have no tolerance for the cold now. I would like to be warm and happy in Central Florida.
How many Summers have you spent in Florida? I've spent 20+. Not all in a row though. Off and on since 1978...and yes, it has grown hotter, & the Summer heat lasts longer now than it did in 1978.

The cold in Michigan, Missouri, & Ohio was horrible, but Georgia was bearable.

When I was younger, the Florida heat & humidity didn't bother me much, but once I hit my 50's, I started to notice it a lot more. I'm in year 7 of my current Florida stint, & I keep leaving FLA for increasingly longer periods of time each Summer.

I'm already looking ahead to my July & August in the mountains of Western NC. 2 whole months this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 02:38 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's not temps you need to follow but humidity numbers.

75 with 40% humidity is a totally different than 75 with 80% humidity.

It takes time to get acclimated to the weather.
I'm in central Florida and today is one of the more humid days that we've had in recent weeks, yet the temperature and humidity right now at 4:42 pm is 79* temp and 42% humidity. Just about PERFECT if you ask me.

Old 03-25-2024, 02:53 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
How many Summers have you spent in Florida? I've spent 20+. Not all in a row though. Off and on since 1978...and yes, it has grown hotter, & the Summer heat lasts longer now than it did in 1978.

The cold in Michigan, Missouri, & Ohio was horrible, but Georgia was bearable.

When I was younger, the Florida heat & humidity didn't bother me much, but once I hit my 50's, I started to notice it a lot more. I'm in year 7 of my current Florida stint, & I keep leaving FLA for increasingly longer periods of time each Summer.

I'm already looking ahead to my July & August in the mountains of Western NC. 2 whole months this year.
I've vacationed in Florida during the summer/early fall months and I even walked all over Universal in the heat. By all over I mean 18K steps/day. I have always been active in the summer. Florida is not the only state that gets hot/humid. I'm sure that at some point I won't be able to do that but I know how to pace myself, when to seek shade/AC and when to hydrate.

Old 03-25-2024, 04:54 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I'm in central Florida and today is one of the more humid days that we've had in recent weeks, yet the temperature and humidity right now at 4:42 pm is 79* temp and 42% humidity. Just about PERFECT if you ask me.

I picked those numbers on purpose.
I agree with the 75 and 40% humidity...you can be out and about and feel good yet not work up a sweat
75 with 80% humidity...I'm at the beach with my chair in the water and not doing a dang thing except "cooling down"

Old 03-25-2024, 05:32 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
The extended forecast for The Villages has temps mostly in the low to mid 80's with lows mainly in the 60's. That doesn't look too bad to me.

Schedule your outdoor activities in the morning and take advantage of the air conditioned rec centers and the pools as it starts to warm up. But I'll bet that there will be plenty of folks out playing pickle ball, golfing, biking, walking and golf carting during the heat of the day. I would be.
We visited a retirement community in early March - they were already scheduling outdoor activities, such as pickleball and golf tee times very early in the morning.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
The extended forecast for The Villages has temps mostly in the low to mid 80's with lows mainly in the 60's. That doesn't look too bad to me.

Schedule your outdoor activities in the morning and take advantage of the air conditioned rec centers and the pools as it starts to warm up. But I'll bet that there will be plenty of folks out playing pickle ball, golfing, biking, walking and golf carting during the heat of the day. I would be.
To each their own. Temps don't look too bad now but it is only going up from here until about October. I certainly do not miss those nights of putting out the trash at 11 PM and the feeling of getting a hot blanket thrown over me upon opening the door.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:21 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It's also March.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:23 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We visited a retirement community in early March - they were already scheduling outdoor activities, such as pickleball and golf tee times very early in the morning.
Although I don't currently live in Florida, I live in a hot and humid state. At some point every summer, you CAN'T get up and out early enough to beat the humidity; it's just a slightly less horribly hot humidity. You still end up drenched in sweat doing any activity, even before dawn. It's tolerable only if you sit still sipping sweet tea and, in my experience, those who just LOVE summer are mostly sedentary and seldom leave their air-conditioned buildings or cars.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:04 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's not temps you need to follow but humidity numbers.

75 with 40% humidity is a totally different than 75 with 80% humidity.

It takes time to get acclimated to the weather.
I pay the most attention to "feels like" temps that they report. The "feels like" temp in SW Florida is often in the 90's by Noon. I'm off the courts by 10:30 all Summer long. The UV ratings also climbs rapidly starting at 10 am.

Being trapping inside from 11-7 each day for 4 months gets old, I will admit to that.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:07 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Sister in law lives in The Villages and we've visited, fun place I would say. She loves the climate after living in Colorado and got sick of the cold and snow. She does complain about too many elderly everywhere LOL. There are many activities, you should not be bored there.

I lived in Raleigh when I was young, very beautiful place, I think now it's gotten a bit pricey but if you can afford what you want, nice place. You will still get a bit of winter in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement