Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2024, 05:54 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
3 month min
There's a Latitude Margaritaville Hilton Head over 55 community that is not too far from Sun City HH. I don't know if they do shorter term rentals but you could check and then see if you could do some day visits to Sun City.

We've toured the Latitude Margaritaville communities in Florida. They are beautiful but they weren't quite what we were looking for.

Actually, it looks like you could do a Discovery visit at Sun City 4 days, 3 nights for $289 (that is really good!) and you could also do a 2 to 3 night stay at Latitude Margaritaville HH - I didn't check the cost.

I would totally do two back to back lifestyle visits. If there's a 3rd community out there you could book one there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 01:22 AM

106,575 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There's a Latitude Margaritaville Hilton Head over 55 community that is not too far from Sun City HH. I don't know if they do shorter term rentals but you could check and then see if you could do some day visits to Sun City.

We've toured the Latitude Margaritaville communities in Florida. They are beautiful but they weren't quite what we were looking for.

Actually, it looks like you could do a Discovery visit at Sun City 4 days, 3 nights for $289 (that is really good!) and you could also do a 2 to 3 night stay at Latitude Margaritaville HH - I didn't check the cost.

I would totally do two back to back lifestyle visits. If there's a 3rd community out there you could book one there, too.
thanks , that is a good idea. we have friends in sun city who want us to stay with them so short term like a week is not a problem . we were thinking more in terms of if we like it and want to do a month or two

Old 03-25-2024, 07:20 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,377,814 times
Quote:
we are the opposite and enjoy being out and doing things with others .

we didn’t like the fact that our house in the poconos wasn’t in a 55 plus , it was just a gated hoa .

everyone was pretty much busy with their own families and so it was hard to have events or find others to do things with

Yes I also like to do things and it works here at our home -- I go out to lunch with friends, do exercise classes and theater and music events with girlfriends who also have husbands who like to stay at home. Like you, I live in an urbanized suburbia so lots of opportunities.

We also visited friends in February who live in a 55+ retirement community in St Cloud Florida which I thought would be horrible (inland near Orlando) but was actually VERY nice. It is on a beautiful lake and the recreational amenities were fantastic. Beautiful outdoor pools, a gorgeous clubhouse with all sorts of activities, outdoor BOCE ball, tennis, pickleball, etc. The houses were nice and pretty reasonable. The Orlando airport flies everywhere. They are very happy there and I could see the appeal.

but the alligators and the heat . . .

Old 03-25-2024, 07:22 AM

the heat is a concern ….when it is to hot and humid it isn’t fun being out

Old 03-25-2024, 07:33 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
thanks , that is a good idea. we have friends in sun city who want us to stay with them so short term like a week is not a problem . we were thinking more in terms of if we like it and want to do a month or two
I don't know what the rules are in Sun City regarding short term rentals. It does sound as though there may be a minimum stay of 3+ months in some of the retirement communities.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:25 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Since your husband doesn't sound like a "joiner" or an extrovert, he'd probably be happier just socializing with family and (already established) friends than trying to make new ones at his age, so NC. You might be more outgoing and active and prefer to keep busier and more scheduled, so FL. There are fewer hurricanes in NC and presumably lower insurance rates. As for "better weather" in Florida, would you love high temps and humidity basically year-round? It's subtropical. Finally, a 55+ community with an HOA versus a SFH are very different homes and lifestyles; which would you prefer in terms of maintenance and proximity to neighbors?

Old 03-25-2024, 08:37 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
DH will be 75 this year. I am 73. I would like to leave NY. Tired of the weather and how the state is run.

DH not sure on leaving as this has been home his entire life.

We are looking at either the Raleigh area (suburbs) or the Villages in Florida. NC would be a single-family home in a regular community (not over 55). In NC we have family and friends that would live within 1/2 hour of us. The Villages is over 55 and we would not know anyone.

DH is a home body and is happy at home. We do like bowling and would do that in either state. Florida would give us the better weather, but NC pretty much does not have snow which is what we don't like.

We have no children. Some family here in NY. 2 dogs who would be happy wherever we live.

Any pros and cons that you can offer?
The Triangle is great with a large retired transplant population. Two very different places with different mindsets. If you like the Triangle and have friends and family here who like it what is the Villages offering to pick there?

Old 03-25-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I don't know what the rules are in Sun City regarding short term rentals. It does sound as though there may be a minimum stay of 3+ months in some of the retirement communities.
Yes it’s 3 months

Old 03-25-2024, 08:41 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
It's a 3-4 hour drive to the Outer Banks (or longer if you are taking a ferry). Wilmington & Wrightsville Beach are an easy (but boring) 2-hour drive down I-40.

It already is expensive. I'm just outside the city limits and it seems all of the new construction is $1M+. They have broken ground on a large 55+ community near me. I think the condos are starting about $800k.
This area is a magnet for retired transplants and new companies bringing in workers.

Yes the Wilmington area beaches are a relatively boring 2 hour drive so you must be on the East side of Raleigh. However don't you find a boring drive toward the coast better than the adventure of heading West on 40 and 440?

Old 03-25-2024, 08:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I'm curious; how close are any of these 55+ communities to the actual beach? I'm a beach babe (or at least I used to have a beach babe bod) and love spending all day watching the surf and walking the shore. Are you able to ride a bike or drive a golf cart and park at beach access, or is it a drive?

OP... I, too, am curious why The Villages is even in the mix for you; what is the attraction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement