Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM

736 posts, read 401,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well we have no idea what that really means since owning oil itself thru uso as a commodity has lost 5% cagr the last 5 years and 12% cagr the last 10 .

a barrel of oil was 140 in 2007
Oh okay.Mom and dad make thousands of dollars in oil and gas income per month and we made 0 dollars from direct oil investing in 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:40 AM

736 posts, read 401,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
If we are embarking on a decade of the 1970s redux stagflation, what do you plan to do about it in retirement? I can't think of doing anything differently (except that my Soc security, when I take it at 70, may be a somewhat larger component of my retirement income than I expected), but wonder if other people approach it differently. Comments?
I also invest in Apple stock to keep pace with inflation.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

7,845 posts, read 3,836,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My travel budget has already been vaporized.

I sold my CA home before Covid preparing to move east. By the time I made it to TN and decided to stay, home prices shot up 40%.
In other words, you tried to time the market and had your butt handed to you.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Well, it happens to everyone at some point. I brought an overpriced house minutes before 2008 Financial Crisis. During covid, I was finally able to sell it for slightly less than the purchase price.

If you are lucky enough to live to your sixties, sooner or later you'll have loses. It's part of life.

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My travel budget has already been vaporized.

I sold my CA home before Covid preparing to move east. By the time I made it to TN and decided to stay, home prices shot up 40%. That $430k home is now $600k. So I just lost $170k off the top. Add in 7% interest rates, and soaring insurance costs.

That is a lot of travel.

Of course that doesn't begin to include inflation in the cost of living everywhere else that has resulted in the dollar losing 25% to 30% of its value, pre Covid.

I will have to settle for playing locally much more than previously anticipated. My travel plans are on hold or kaput. We'll see.

I can't complain. At least I will always have a roof over my head, food to eat, and money for medical, transportation and utilities. Many will not be so lucky.
We overpaid for our house in 2007. We sold it during covid, making up for some of our lost. It was fine especially as we had considerably paid down the mortgage.

My issue is my kids have good, solid jobs with average pay in high cost of living areas. Inflation has hit them hard. We've been helping them every so often with extraordinary expenses.

It's definitely not a great situation for anyone. Like you, I can't complain.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
If we are embarking on a decade of the 1970s redux stagflation, what do you plan to do about it in retirement? I can't think of doing anything differently (except that my Soc security, when I take it at 70, may be a somewhat larger component of my retirement income than I expected), but wonder if other people approach it differently. Comments?
I retired and took SS 2 years ago. Needless to say, this last 2 years is far from what I had expected, but I never would have delayed taking SS until 70.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Well, it happens to everyone at some point. I brought an overpriced house minutes before 2008 Financial Crisis. During covid, I was finally able to sell it for slightly less than the purchase price.

If you are lucky enough to live to your sixties, sooner or later you'll have loses. It's part of life.
I'm referring to something different than you describe.

Igor attempted to time the market by selling and staying on the sidelines. Rather than have an optimal (for him) portfolio allocation of X% into real estate, he sold (bringing it to 0%) and didn't redeploy that money back into real estate until years later. That is poor decision making.

If, instead, he didn't sell (in CA) until he was ready to rebuy (in TN), he would only have had a short time with the suboptimal portfolio allocation (say, a month or so) and he wouldn't have been slaughtered.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

25,582 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
We went to a debt free lifestyle and began living well under our income. We actually began all that in 2007, retired in 2010, and have never wanted for anything we could not afford.
Example: We are still driving the same 2 cars today that we retired with. We have done some traveling, but feel traveling is mostly over-rated; it's not really all that much fun.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Like most people, we'll just wake up each morning and live our lives - until we don't wake up in the morning.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

6,026 posts, read 3,745,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Where does he say that he was trying to "time the market"? I read it that he just decided to relocate and the timing, in hindsight, simply turned out to be unfortunate for him.

I had a similar situation. Owned two houses for about a decade and decided to sell one of them in late spring of 2020. How was I supposed to know that the real estate market would catch fire just a few months later? If you know where I can get a crystal ball that predicts the future, please let me know where.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement