Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,652,204 times

Advertisements

Has anyone decided to downsize so that life is easier and more simple. We had five children and built a large home, 4300 sq. ft and it is a lot to take care of. We have done a casual B&B for 12 years since our children were out of college. We donate the money to Christian groups. I have really enjoyed this but it is getting harder and harder to climb steps and clean. I'm going on 60 but have bad knees. My husband is 66 and retired but works a bunch of part time job. I would like something smaller and less yard work.
When is a good age to downsize? Have any of you made that decision???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 04:40 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Has anyone decided to downsize so that life is easier and more simple. We had five children and built a large home, 4300 sq. ft and it is a lot to take care of. We have done a casual B&B for 12 years since our children were out of college. We donate the money to Christian groups. I have really enjoyed this but it is getting harder and harder to climb steps and clean. I'm going on 60 but have bad knees. My husband is 66 and retired but works a bunch of part time job. I would like something smaller and less yard work.
I'm not speaking from experience here but it sounds as if you are ready to downsize now. Have you thought of selling your place and looking for something smaller? If you B & B is successful and well known you might think of contacting some large corporations that already own these kinds of things. I knew of one up here that was sold to a large corporation for a good million. I'm not familiar where Oxford is (I am originally from Ohio). We plan on relocating to So. Eastern Ohio early next month. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:09 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
I turn 62 in October, I retire in January...and when & if I can sell my current home I am going to downsize then. I can hardly wait!!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 PM

257 posts, read 1,014,751 times
I fell into downsizing because everything had gotten SO MESSY!!! so totally out of control that I hired a Prof. Organizer. She would ask me hard questions, such as "if you haven't used this for the last 6 years, what makes you think....." (her version was more polite!) So, I really downsized a lot with her work. I still have unfinished "projects" of things to organize.

Now I think I'll be moving, so it was truly a godsend! I will have to have another round of getting rid of things before I make a long distance move, but it will be much easier!!! (for example, although I gave away about half of my books (or more, maybe), i won't pay to move all the books I have left on the shelves. Ditto kitchen things. & on&on. It's a JOB!

One thing the organizer was excellent at was making me focus on ONE room until it was finished............my tendency is to flit about, doing 1-2 things in the kitchen, a couple in the bedroom, & on &on!

It's a job, but quite rewarding! and, don't forget about FreeCycle in your area!!

HTH, Judy

Old 08-20-2008, 05:27 PM

We are looking at a place this evening but I think he will think it needs too much work and has a huge yard to mow. I guess I want less work not more. This is the time to spend with my grandkids. I really love my house and it is very unique with lots of old antique details that we put in but it is really a lot of work.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:29 PM

scarppinjudy--wow what a great idea!! I am a collector and it just gets out of control. When we have guests stay I just put everything in my room. The rest of the house looks great and my room is just a mess. Now with grandchildren the house seems full of toys again. I might think about checking into that!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:04 PM

257 posts, read 1,014,751 times
if you mean looking into the Professional Organizers, it is great. But, let me say that it doesn't come cheaply! They have a professional organization: NAPO (it's on my O's card).........Natl Assoc of Prof Organizers, I'll bet!!! :-))

the thing you have to be SURE of is that the two of you mesh in terms of personality. I spoke with one woman on the phone who I knew would drive me nuts............don't remember why I thought that! but, do some phone interviews to get a feel for the person!!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Downsize the sooner the better, BUT be sure you head in the right direction, I wouldn't like too much yard work next time. We want to travel internationally several months / yr. This is a challenge as we have LOTS of stuff (farm... tractors, trucks, machine shop, woodshop...)

You must be doing the same type of Guest Home that we do, It is really enjoyable but also a lot of work. We really enjoy the international travelers.

We are struggling with the downsize issue too, but are hampered by $33/day property taxes, so we must leave our home that we built very cheap (taxes were $3/day 13 yrs ago). The view is very gorgeous and the assessor thinks likewise! It will be tough to leave and impossible to replace (within the bounds of a national scenic area).

We have friends in Canada who have a large home and a large shop with a 1500SF apartment. They have been renting the apartment, but to downsize they will rent out the house and live in the apartment.

I am looking at buying some commercial properties (like a campground) that will have a place for us back in the corner, but will have a resident "manager" and provide cashflow.
Alternative is to buy a commercial building and lease it, but keep an apartment for us.
Another option is finding a youth camp that could use our equipment and offer us a staff house during the 'off-season'.

Where to put all these antiques and tools...? That is tough. Kids have not settled down and don't want them anyway. I don't want to move them multiple times, not sure I can get rid of them either, and we've been packing them around for 30+ yrs and have all our grandparents stuff, its quite nice, but not too valuable.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 PM

311 posts, read 915,857 times
Default letting go

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post

Where to put all these antiques and tools...? That is tough. Kids have not settled down and don't want them anyway. I don't want to move them multiple times, not sure I can get rid of them either, and we've been packing them around for 30+ yrs and have all our grandparents stuff, its quite nice, but not too valuable.
I watched a friend of mine go through the process. My advice? Keep your end goal at the utmost front of your mind! Do not let yourself get bogged down in the memories associated with the "things". If its something that must go, like a large piece, take photos of it, make a cd photoslide show of it so you wont forget... If you really think too long about the "things" will keep you trapped in a daily life that you really do not want.

Good luck, I know its not easy...but at the end...you will be glad you did!
Jody

Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 PM

Oh I agree the things really get a hold on you. My parents had lived next door to us and when my mom passed away my dad moved up to their summer home in PA on the lake. He loves it up there but when he decided to sell their house next to us he wanted to me go through everything. My mom was a bit of a compulsive collector...the nut doesn't fall too far from the tree Their house was 6th sq. feet and it took me 14 months to sort through everything. I took truck loads to auction houses but by the end I had filled up my storage room and garage. I have a hard time letting go because of the memories. It was so draining and such an emotional journey for me to go through. Then I think I don't want to leave this job for my kids some day. I know I need to go through some of this stuff and let it go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement