Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:48 PM

70 posts, read 263,257 times

Advertisements

When checking out a 55+ community in Delaware, I found this announcement on their events page for a Luau:

Ticket prices are $25 per person or $30 a couple.

Let me get this straight- a couple gets in for $15 a person but someone who has no spouse, SO, or a friend(may be new to the community) must pay $10 more????
What does this say to you? Well, to me it says singles are not welcome and will be treated like second class citizens. This is something that always irks me. Why should I have to pay more for the SAME thing just because I'm not married?? That's discrimination in my book!
I certainly plan to contact this community with my thoughts and I have already nixed it as a possible retirement home.

Here is the url for this place: Independence adult retirement community: News and Events

Thanks for listening and letting me vent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Vent away. But also think back 55 years. In those days, people who were married were paid more because they had family obligations. Such prices as the ones you quoted were not at all unusual and were based upon the fact that a certain amount of "gate" was needed to provide the event or entertainment and singles can be awkward to seat. I see it less as discrimination and more as likely catering to the predominant population.

Go and enjoy. You just might find the single who's meant for you and next time you can go together as a couple for $15 a head.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:39 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,860 times
That small a price difference doesn't make sense for a dinner/party type of affair unless they expect a couple to share a plate of food!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
If you look many things don't apply to private owned events . Nothing i know of says anyhting about marriage sattus on discrimination. Just as for years the governamnt actually discriminated aginst married people o income tax forms and still do in many ways.m It was called the marriage penalty.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post
When checking out a 55+ community in Delaware, I found this announcement on their events page for a Luau:

Let me get this straight- a couple gets in for $15 a person but someone who has no spouse, SO, or a friend(may be new to the community) must pay $10 more????
What does this say to you? Well, to me it says singles are not welcome and will be treated like second class citizens. This is something that always irks me. Why should I have to pay more for the SAME thing just because I'm not married?? That's discrimination in my book!
I certainly plan to contact this community with my thoughts and I have already nixed it as a possible retirement home.

Here is the url for this place: Independence adult retirement community: News and Events

Thanks for listening and letting me vent!
Talk to the cruise lines while you're at it ok? They have been charging a "single supplement" forever.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-27-2009, 06:54 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,264,488 times
I take such things as tantamount to saying singles are not welcome. It would be different if it was for a couple sharing a room compared to a single person in the same room. But for food and entertainment there shouldn't be a price difference. I wouldn't go either. Such establishments don't need my money to support crap like that. When going to a restaurant, couples don't get a hefty discount. When going to the theater, couples don't get a big discount.

As for the advice to eat it and go anyway because the love of your life is there - what a load of crap to justify blatant discrimination.

And the marriage penalty for taxes - another load of hooey. Single filers get taxed at a much higher rate than married or head of households. Singles pay more total tax for the same income than marrieds too. What it really is, is a single penalty. But you can't get political point unless you cry about how those poor families have such trouble. Nobody gives a hoot at how single people are getting the shaft - despite that fact that we are nearly half the population.

Last edited by Tesaje; 07-27-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-27-2009, 07:23 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab View Post

It's not discrimination, it's favoritism. Big difference. Discrimination would be if they said you couldn't get in because you were gay, or black, or white, et cetera.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
It IS discrimination. However, it's (probably) not ILLEGAL discrimination. There are both federal laws and state laws prohibiting discrimination based on marital status. Unfortunately, the federal laws are limited in scope and in general, apply to housing and employment. State laws vary and I don't see any that would apply to this situation. Personally, I'd let management know I was mad as h*** and had posted its discriminatory policy on a national retiree forum.

Curmudgeon: Fifty-five years ago, married "people" were not paid more, married MEN were paid more. 'nuf said.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
It IS discrimination. However, it's (probably) not ILLEGAL discrimination. There are both federal laws and state laws prohibiting discrimination based on marital status. Unfortunately, the federal laws are limited in scope and in general, apply to housing and employment. State laws vary and I don't see any that would apply to this situation. Personally, I'd let management know I was mad as h*** and had posted its discriminatory policy on a national retiree forum.

Curmudgeon: Fifty-five years ago, married "people" were not paid more, married MEN were paid more. 'nuf said.
True, that! MEN were paid more and had far more job opportunities open to them. I know how hard my wife struggled to break through the glass ceiling. But please get me started on the equal pay for equal work issue. As a former soldier and ex-cop I have my own ideas about that.

By the way, by definition it's favortism, not discrimination because it's applied evenly rather than to a "protected" class.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
What about bars that advertise " ladies night" and offer reduced prices on drinks to females ?

yup, ------favoritism

( imagine the uproar if that reduced price was offered based on race instead of gender )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement