Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
sigh---you would think after 60 no one would care about your sexual orientation!
you might think that but I understand how the OP feels. Better to find someplace that you know you will be accepted than make a move that you would regret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyDan View Post
My partner and I moved to Albuquerque three and half years ago. We are both retired. We live in a town called Corrales which is just 20 minutes to old town and 45 minutes to Santa Fe. We love Corrales because of its rural atmosphere but with all the amenities of a urban setting... close to doctors, hospitals, shopping of all sorts. There is definitely 4 seasons, but with a "sunny" disposition. If you are looking for a place to stay while visiting Albuquerque we have a large 1250 sq ft guest house for available for short term vacations. This would be good way to explore the area while staying with "family". Good luck to you as you explore....
I bet the OP has found his place by now, seeing this thread is 4 years old, that being said, I love Corrales. we love the market there and used to get a lot of our produce for canning, especially the pickling cukes. I had forgotten all about Corrales, I was about to suggest Portland, Or, but I like your idea better. Someone said Las Cruses, I think that would be too hot for a couple that wants to escape the heat.

And for anyone who suggests Palm Springs, OMG, that is almost the hottest place on earth in the summer.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,819 times
Our friend just moved from Milwaukie Portland, stayed with us in Corrales, and just purchased a townhouse in a 55 and older community. He did not think he could afford a place on his social security and guest what....his neighbor is gay.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:54 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malex227 View Post
Does not need to be high gay population, just with people who are non judgmental. We keep to ourselves and are respectful with ourselves and others. Thanks
Any place in New England.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
I may have said this before, but the Five College area of Western Mass., especially Northampton, is extremely LGBT friendly. A recent mayor was lesbian. There is a gay pride parade downtown annually. It's a relatively mature community that has liberal Smith College ( a relatively high student body % is lesbian_. On a daily basis, there is very little sexual orientation "in your face." IOW, people are not running around proclaiming or showing their preferences. Everyone respects everyone's base. There is also a gay men's choir. People don't stress about the winter months because there's so much culturally and artistically to do in "Hamp" and surrounding towns that you kind of don't notice the weather. It's a bit pricey for real estate and rents, however. Greater Northampton Chamber of Commerce, Northampton, Massachusetts | Welcome

Old 08-10-2013, 05:28 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Delaware. Not too cold, not too hot. Tax friendly; Gay marriage = eligibility for federal benefits including social security and Medicare, etc.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post

I agree anywhere in New England though some places are more expensive than others. Also some places are more friendly than others two. Someone mentioned Ogunquit ME and Provincetown MA and they are widely known here as "Gay" friendly. Being a "non-Gay" person (I hate the term "Gay") I can tell you that no one should be singled out for any reason.

Good luck in wherever you end up. I will say that both of those places have decent climates per se. They will be more expensive to live though. Maine less so but remember both are right on the ocean. They attract lots of tourists of every type.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Some place in New England are more gay friendly than others. My sister lives up there and told me that a gay couple bought a B+B in Saxtons River a few years ago. They were routinely hassled by the town council until they were finally driven out of business. Sometimes small towns have quite a few bigoted people who can make your life miserable if they wish.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:22 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPiano View Post
Sandusky, Ohio is affordable, has a good, albeit small, gay community. Easy access to Cleveland, Columbus and Toledo for Orchestras, museums, ethnic restaurants, etc. Sandusky also offers cultural events too. Cultural Center, Cedar Pioint (The #1 amusement park in the world with the most roller coasters!), reasonable shopping, perched on the edge of Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie, boating/sailing is BIG here and accesible and affordable. Several retired gay people who have lived in urban areas like NYC have found living here good.
My father used to say, "You can live twice as well here for half the cost."
Now this really surprizes me! I will have to check it out.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 988 times
FriendlyDan,
I would love to visit NM. Are you still renting your place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement