Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:30 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Take a look at Eureka Springs, AR and pricier Murphys, CA.
Have you been to Fayetteville AR? I was always curious about it but never got there, sounded like an artsy place with lots of writers (famous MFA program in writing at the U).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:42 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklivewire View Post
We too are gardeners about a decade away from retirement and are looking for a non-humid place to move to based on culture, jobs and housing prices. We seem to have a lot in common (used to live in TX - go Longhorns! and I am a former writer). Keep me posted on what you find. Is Kerrville a non-humid part of TX?

I guess this is the post that revived this thread.

So, is it gardening or writing or some other art that floats your boat?

Let's see what Berea looks like through this lens:

Non-humid. Sorry.
Culture. Sorry
Prices. Check
Jobs. Sorry.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Have you been to Fayetteville AR? I was always curious about it but never got there, sounded like an artsy place with lots of writers (famous MFA program in writing at the U).
Yes. Been to Fayetteville. It's not far from where we live in SW MO. It's a college/university town (Razorbacks) so there are cultural offerings. The setting in the Ozarks is quite lovely and all the "necessary" amenities are there. Like other Ozark towns/villages/cities, it's handy to outdoor pursuits whether on land or water. You could do a lot worse.

Side notes: Back in the early 70s my wife, who was a midwife and certified childbirth instructor (by CA), taught childbirth classes there at U. of AR. It was the first time they had ever been offered. There's a great Mexican restaurant there as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good list, thanks for sharing. However, are any of these affordable? I guess the question is where the next art town will develop, so folks can get in before the real estate and rents soar.
Nope. No longer affordable from my perspective. Pretty pricey, as a matter of fact.

I've heard rumors that some "up-and-coming" artsy places might be (I'm not making recommendations, mind you ... anyone care to comment?):

St. Petersburg, FL

Bisbee, AZ

Cumberland, MD

... and in my own state of PA, I recently traveled the 50 miles or so up to Bethlehem and was really impressed how this former blue-collar steel mill town has re-invented itself as a charming, historic, college town (Moravian University and nearby Lehigh U. and Lafayette College) with many art galleries and antique shops and very good restaurants.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Nope. No longer affordable from my perspective. Pretty pricey, as a matter of fact.

I've heard rumors that some "up-and-coming" artsy places might be (I'm not making recommendations, mind you ... anyone care to comment?):

St. Petersburg, FL

Bisbee, AZ

Cumberland, MD

... and in my own state of PA, I recently traveled the 50 miles or so up to Bethlehem and was really impressed how this former blue-collar steel mill town has re-invented itself as a charming, historic, college town (Moravian University and nearby Lehigh U. and Lafayette College) with many art galleries and antique shops and very good restaurants.
I live in Florida (Sarasota). Two best, artsiest places in Florida are Sarasota and St. Petersburg. Both are beautiful small cities with lots of museums, reasonably affordable, gorgeous beaches, great health care, lots of cultural events and festivals, great dining/organic foods and too much to mention. The downside is that yes, it gets hot and humid here. But the worst is usually the 4 months from June - Sept. and every year is different for how hot it gets. Living close to the coast gives a bit of moderating affect.

At any rate the two cities I mentioned were once devoid of much other than very old retirees (about 20 years ago). Fast-forward to today, they are younger, more hip, both have the most walkable and vibrant downtowns in Florida and every passing year get better and better. Sarasota just topped a list recently for being best place to retire. And contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of affordable places in the area. Along with Sarasota, is the smaller city of Bradenton just a few miles to the north. This area is also EXTREMELY up and coming, and with a working art village. The downtown authority is striving very hard to make it an arts destination. Bradenton is extremely affordable and in a great location with really fabulous beaches.

I have nothing to promote here, I just really love this whole area. I am a Florida native, and for me (and hubby) there is no better place to be, so for us, we don't have to move anywhere for retirement! I really can't believe the amenities we have here for what I consider almost a bargain compare to other nice places like California (which we could never in a million years afford).

So for what it's worth, that's my .06 cents - anyone with any specific questions, feel free to message me - I am always happy to help!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 PM

10 posts, read 33,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Don't forget EASTON, PA along the Delaware River. Still a little rough around the edges, but NYC artists are moving in, good restaurants, funky galleries, & real estate is quite reasonable. Access to NYC is a breeze and more expensive New Hope is just 40 minutes south.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Mathews, VA is a great town for artists. A little isolated for retirees, perhaps... but there's a good hospital nearby, and if you want to be out in the country it's a charming place.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:22 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
For working artists:

Professional Artist Magazine | 10 Great Towns for Working Artists by Kim Hall

Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Its quite interesting that your link only covers east and part of Midwest ? There are plenty of places that would qualify out west, upper Midwest,New England. and more. Example Bellingham Wa.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:59 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Default Not my opinion

Opinion of an artist magazine, and their research. Cost of living was a huge factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement