Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times

Advertisements

Today I received two letters from the VA both demanding income verification from several years ago. Both want all my financial papers of which I only keep three years. I now have to go back and get real estate disclosure statements from over five years ago. If I can't the VA will recalculate my income to include the full sale price of all homes I sold and charge me full price for all VA visits. What a way to treat veterans!!!

Knowing what I know now I wish I had of moved to Canada rather than get drafted. At that time I believed in America and enlisted in the Marine Corp.

This is just another punch in the back from the Obama administration. Earlier this year SS cut my SS by $4 a month siting an error five years ago and took a lump sum at one time to cover the mistake, their mistake.
These SS audits were ordered by Obama.

Moderator cut: See TOS - No consumer complaints

Usually I get my medical care outside the VA and only get medications via the VA. Every time I go to the VA I feel sorry for our wounded vets who have no choice but to endure this crap.

I wonder how many of our wounded vets will be billed for VA medical services.

Last edited by vec101; 11-29-2009 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: Please read TOS concerning consumer complaints
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
I called the VA trying to make sense of this nonsense. It seems that the VA has now the authority to verify a veterans eligibility by comparing IRS and SSA figures to determine gross income. However, the VA does not revue the individual income tax return. Only in American friends, only in America!

So if an veteran sells a property only the gross sale price is listed and no HUD-1 statement or income tax return enters into the picture so the VA see the individuals income to include the total sale price of the home. I sold two homes in the period in question so I am doubling in trouble.

This sounds like something from a Lewis Black skit but it is real. Can our government be any dumber? The VA is forcing a veteran to file all the tax information filed with the IRS to be re-filed with the VA.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Knowing what I know now I wish I had of moved to Canada rather than get drafted. At that time I believed in America and enlisted in the Marine Corp.

This is just another punch in the back from the Obama administration. Earlier this year SS cut my SS by $4 a month siting an error five years ago and took a lump sum at one time to cover the mistake, their mistake.
I didn't think that the Marines put up with whiners.

The VA itself, a system with a long long history of mistreatment and complete ineptness.

But clearly Mr. Obama has personally singled you out for special attention, and brought down the wrath of both the VA and the SSA upon you. Guess you can expect a call from the IRS next.

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Old 11-23-2009, 04:40 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Today I received two letters from the VA both demanding income verification from several years ago. Both want all my financial papers of which I only keep three years. I now have to go back and get real estate disclosure statements from over five years ago. If I can't the VA will recalculate my income to include the full sale price of all homes I sold and charge me full price for all VA visits. What a way to treat veterans!!!

Moderator cut: See TOS - No consumer complaints
Usually I get my medical care outside the VA and only get medications via the VA. Every time I go to the VA I feel sorry for our wounded vets who have no choice but to endure this crap.

I wonder how many of our wounded vets will be billed for VA medical services.
This just started under Obama?
Perhaps if we could get Senator, I hate VETS, Coburn to stop blocking VA funding while engaging in C Street Cult activities, you could get some sservice

Last edited by vec101; 11-29-2009 at 06:07 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
I really think you should check when the changes in VA came about~ learned of these changes a bunch of years ago when W needed some money~ and VA costs were to be held down~ and know estates that had to pay for VA services......W and GOP congress responsible for your troubles!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Apparently the OP is seeking treatment for non service connected medical problems and has less than a 50% rating. Socialized medicine

Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I retired from the VA. The financial info that veterans provide the VA is verfied by comparing that info with the IRS. The verication center is located in Atlanta and they most definitely will contact the veteran if records do not match up.

If providing the VA with all this financial info is troublesome to you, I would not bother with them. It is in many ways an unfair system and does not serve every veterans needs. Many veterans are not even allowed to go to a VA because their income is over the limit. Which by the way is not a very high limit.

I was never allowed to go to the VA when I worked for them. My income was over the limits set for care there. Since retiring I was able to go to them using my BC/BS insurance and pay co-payments. I tried them a few times and I will never go back. VA's can vary greatly from region to region. Some are completely overwhelmed with patients and it shows in the level of care. I thought well if Im paying thru health insurance to go to the VA, and still required to make co payments, then why bother. Im back going to a private doctor using my Blue Cross.

Really if going to the VA is that upsetting to you, its just not worth the bother of dealing with the agency. The employees mean well, and its not their intent to make waves. However the governement itself puts alot of demands on the VA with a lack of funds. I personally do not think the US government has been very fair to the many veterans in this country.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:06 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Today I received two letters from the VA both demanding income verification from several years ago. Both want all my financial papers of which I only keep three years....
There's your first problem. Three years only!!!!?

You are asking for a lot of problems, and not just with the VA.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
I now have to go back and get real estate disclosure statements from over five years ago.
I keep all real estate transaction paperwork indefinitely. I also keep tax returns for 10 years. A few plastic bins stacked up in the garage are no problem for me.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:29 AM

10 posts, read 42,025 times
Something tells me this guy is trying to pull a scam on the VA. Like trying to get "free" health care from the largest "socialized" medical provider in the country. He has no service connected disabilities and is trying to use the VA for free.

Conservatives and greed go hand in hand.

Don't blame Obama for getting caught. Conservatives usually blame the Clintons. ;-)

Go whine to the teabaggers and bring lots of cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement