Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 11:52 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

How many jobs have you had since you first entered the workforce? When you look at all of the positions you've held in your working life, including after school jobs, was the job you had at the time you retired your best job? By "best" I don't mean money-wise, but the one you enjoyed the most.

I'd be curious whether people were happiest in a position that was not necessarily the one that paid the most and/or was the last job they had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 01:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
How many jobs? Wow. A lot. Lessee....

Draftsman, printer, carpenter, fertilizer tosser (really - we threw fertilizer bags up to someone on top of a stack in a warehouse then did the reverse when an order came in), short order cook, printer again, worked in a supermarket, ran a machine that made cardboard canisters for hand grenades going to Vietnam, door-to-door sales, printer again, managed a landscape nursery, draftsman again, computer geek.

There were a ton of odd jobs in there as I traveled around the country in the sixties.

The one I have now (pre-retirement) is certainly my favorite. If personal computers hadn't come along I have no idea what I would have done with the rest of my career, except be miserable in some lousy job. Computer consulting saved my sanity.

I liked being a carpenter. I hated the winters. If I had lived in the south I likely would have stayed with it.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:33 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Delivery boy for drug store... bicycle..three different stores while in school...

United States Army...3 years after school...

Printing company 1.5 year

Printing department Houston Board of Realtors 1.5 year

Printing company 7 years

Printing company 28 years

Retired 7 years....I like this job the best...

Old 12-05-2009, 01:40 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
I started ,at 18 years old, on a burr bench in a large manufacturing company and in the course of a 40 year career there I retired as senior quality engineer for that same company.

While I enjoyed the challenge of the job ,and all the wonderful people I worked with, I ,too, enjoy retirement the best.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I started ,at 18 years old, on a burr bench in a large manufacturing company and in the course of a 40 year career there I retired as senior quality engineer for that same company.

While I enjoyed the challenge of the job ,and all the wonderful people I worked with, I ,too, enjoy retirement the best.
That is a bygone event! I spent 22 years at one company. Houston3 spent 28 years at one. Does anyone do that anymore?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
ran a board and care for 5 years for the elderly. paid really good. it was easy.
most rewarding job of my life, my wife hated it and it probably contributed to our failed marriage.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:57 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That is a bygone event! I spent 22 years at one company. Houston3 spent 28 years at one. Does anyone do that anymore?
I was just to lazy to learn anything new...LOL

Old 12-05-2009, 03:09 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
23 years at one place for me, from 1980 to 2003.

My first "Eek, they took out taxes" job was working the counter at a Tastee Freeze; everything after that was/is in Accounting and/or Management. Car dealership and a carpet store and a state prison while still in school, tin can factory, eggs (the 23 years), and now a state college.

Best job I had was no pay - I broke ponies for the old man who lived down the street, while I was in high school. Didn't mind going to work at all

Old 12-05-2009, 03:17 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Quote:
Yes, It will be possible for a very small percentage of workers to stay with one company for their working life. That said, All of these people will have very, very specialized skills so working your way up as I did is as dead as the do do bird!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:56 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,751 times
Not retired, but will be in a couple of years. I have been at my present job for 29 years. From 1980 til now. And still employed. Over my life time I have held several jobs as you can see.

Jobs held:

Paper route

Circus

Farm work

Railroad

Garbage collector

Salesman

Factory work

Welder

Brick layer

Carpenter

Warehouse

Herbicide control

Tree trimmer

Painter

City facility field technician

Drafter/Designer

Construction Engineer

Design supervisor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement