Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 PM

438 posts, read 1,118,043 times

Advertisements

I think the calculators are good for people who are just beginning to think about retirement savings. I hope no one depends completely on them.

I did my retirement planning using a spreadsheet I developed myself, starting in 1999 and improving it slowly, to calculate my estimated income from various sources and my expenses for 40 years out. It's highly personalized, so it wouldn't work for anyone else, but everyone could create their own version. I can tweak it to see 'what ifs' such as what if I take money from my 401k and buy an immediate annuity, what if I make a down payment on a house, etc. I used conservative estimates for inflation and return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 12:38 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,143,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
I did my retirement planning using a spreadsheet I developed myself, starting in 1999 and improving it slowly, to calculate my estimated income from various sources and my expenses for 40 years out.
Sounds like a very powerful spreadsheet. Now I wonder, 40 years out, what will be the cost of a loaf or bread or a gallon of gas?

Old 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,288,499 times
Quote:
I think the calculators are good for people who are just beginning to think about retirement savings. I hope no one depends completely on them.

I did my retirement planning using a spreadsheet I developed myself, starting in 1999 and improving it slowly, to calculate my estimated income from various sources and my expenses for 40 years out. It's highly personalized, so it wouldn't work for anyone else, but everyone could create their own version. I can tweak it to see 'what ifs' such as what if I take money from my 401k and buy an immediate annuity, what if I make a down payment on a house, etc. I used conservative estimates for inflation and return.
I think this the best way. That way you understand what goes into the calculations and focus on your own situation. It keeps you from gettingconfused by a bunch of stuff that doesn't apply. There really is no substitute for doing the work yourself. Anything else just leaves you vunerable to to the scammers out there all too ready to "help" you while pocketing a sizeable chunk of your assets. The last couple of years give plenty of evidence.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,587,782 times
Quote:

Ditto here on the spreadsheet. I tweak mine too and have performed multiple "what-Ifs" on it. I too use conservative income estimates and a higher inflation rate and expenses. I no longer input returns, I display multiple returns instead. My goal here was to see how low of a return would still ensure my plan will survive. I stopped worrying about the last downturn when that rate happened to be 2%.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 PM

37,632 posts, read 61,729,101 times
I went through every 'retirement calculator' I could find before I retired.

We amassed as large a Net Worth as we could up to that moment.

As events happened we eventually cashed it all out and spent it in developing our retirement home.

Now I see that all I truly needed was my pension.

In retrospect all of the effort that I put into trying to figure it out was a waste.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:13 PM

16,086 posts, read 41,263,523 times
One advantage to rental properties is that theoretically rents rise with inflation...

Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM

9,345 posts, read 16,730,158 times
As with any type of financial calculator, there needs to be some independent thinking. The calculators only take into consideration some facts and assumptions, you need to look at your own situation realistically.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:33 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,115,078 times
Basiclly the porblem is the proof in teh pudding when it gets eaten.. Otherwsie assumptions are a guess. Right now the proof in the pudding is your condition after this crash. if your Ok then you did a good job ;if not its time to rethink.But it can happen again or recrash.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM

37,632 posts, read 61,729,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
One advantage to rental properties is that theoretically rents rise with inflation...
I agree.

What has happened to us is that our tenants have lost their jobs.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:05 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,965,025 times
Default "All I truly needed was my pension."

I have no reason to doubt Forest Beekeeper, especially as he is speaking from experience. If one's tastes are not too lavish, a halfway decent pension may be all that is necessary, provided it is indexed for inflation. Forest Beekeeper does not mention that and I hope for his sake that his pension is, in fact indexed. If it is not, he might not be making the same statement ten years from now.

All that brings up the point that most of the discussion so far has focused on the income side of retirement planning. I think just as much effort needs to go into the expenditure side. What assumptions are we making about how much we will need? If it seems that we might not be able to come up with the huge and scary amounts bandied about, then we need to look at the assumptions. Maybe a smaller house and cheaper car will serve us just fine in retirement, for example. Which elements of our lifestyle are based on ego and which ones are truly tied to our well-being and satisfaction?

Anyway, good thread and good responses in a complex area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement