Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I would not advise this unless you really understand what you are getting into. If you think you would have a tough time retiring and spending time with a spouse then think twice about an RV. We are actually getting one so small it fits on the back of a pickup truck.

Banking a lot of money also means getting rid of the costly NJ house and living as a full time RVer. I am not sure I was ready for that idea, although my wife thinks it should work easily. I am researching being a South Dakota resident - no income tax, no vehicle inspection, etc. I never even knew how USPS general delivery works. Soon Optimum cable will be gone and I will live with a gmail account and maybe monthly mail general delivery to the nearest post office. Of course that will mean only local travel until the mail arrives. Then there are banking issues, prescription drugs, medical coverage and a host of other issues to resolve.

It sounds like you are at a really serious crossroads. I guess you got there earlier than expected but now it is decision time. My wife and I (sometimes) want to enjoy our lives together as we approach retirement. She is bending a long way to get past the downsizing and moving issues. She is also excited about new adventures. I am trying to compromise as well, but that is not easy. I long ago decided that I could not continue working years on end so we could afford to live in a place with a cost of living 1.67 times the national average. I am finished with the congestion and 40 hours of commuting time/month has taken a permanent toll on my perspective. Recent vacations in the southern Utah and in Oregon has made it impossible to consider living on Long Island as an acceptable existence. You will need to make those hard decisions about what the future brings. So many times in my life, it seems that events determine the future and my choices have been limited. This is one of those key times when the future will change based on making definite choices. Best of luck with your decisions.
Thanks, and best to you as well!! South Dakota....long brutal winters..no??
Where are you at now...Long Island?

ACK..we will eventually come to some kind of agreeable compromise..a little give & take by each..we always have in the past.

I don't mind spending time with hubbie actually doing things..road trips..etc..I just don't want to end up the two of us just sitting home looking at each other until we find our niche in a new location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Sorry if I was not clear. No I will not actually live in South Dakota. As a full time traveller, it will be all but impossible to go without an address. My official residence will be South Dakota, but that does not mean I will live there. I may not even need to visit. If I do need to visit it will be just a quick stop for a drivers license eye exam and voter registration.

On the other hand I have never been in SD. I would like to visit - pending decent weather.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sorry if I was not clear. No I will not actually live in South Dakota. As a full time traveller, it will be all but impossible to go without an address. My official residence will be South Dakota, but that does not mean I will live there. I may not even need to visit. If I do need to visit it will be just a quick stop for a drivers license eye exam and voter registration.

On the other hand I have never been in SD. I would like to visit - pending decent weather.
To establish residency in SD, I believe you have to just have to spend 24 hours per year there

If you do a google on "South Dakota RV residency rules", you'll get 40,000+ hits, LOL

Old 05-19-2010, 02:53 PM

The State visit requirement is to obtain a drivers license which requires an eye exam and you must also stay in SD for 1 night. Additional 1 night stays are required for licenses renewal every 5 years. Alternate Resources and other businesses will help with the details and provide mail forwarding services.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
To establish residency in SD, I believe you have to just have to spend 24 hours per year there

If you do a google on "South Dakota RV residency rules", you'll get 40,000+ hits, LOL
Enlighten me..what makes SD so enticing..how do you establish residency if you don't actually live there

Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 AM

· NO state income tax
· NO state inheritance tax
· NO personal property tax
· NO intangible tax on investments
· 3% excise tax on purchase of vehicles, RV's.
· LOW vehicle licensing fee.
· Rank 47th in lowest private passenger car insurance rates.
[CENTER][CENTER]South Dakota taxes nation's lowest per capita
(Sioux Falls Argus Leader 7-27-01).
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]I copied this from the Alternateresources.net webpage. [/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]For most States residency requirements are minimal. I have not used the Alternate Resouces services, but they specialize in mail forwarding and helping to establish residency. There are a number of other companies that provide similar services. [/CENTER][/CENTER]

Old 05-24-2010, 04:49 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
We are already having disagreements..I do NOT want to leave where I now live and move hundreds of miles away where I will know not a soul...I do not want to move away from my kids and grand kids...

He is adamant about moving south....I'm almost thinking separate residences..we can visit each other...lol
my wife and I have been at each others throats for 30 years,I retired early and packed my things and left,we get along fine ...as long as we keep 500 miles between us! every 3 months we cross paths due to family get together's and for the first time in years we can actually enjoy each others presence!
I dont recommend it for everyone but it has made my life 100% more enjoyable

Old 05-24-2010, 04:55 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Unfortunately a month won't be long enough for him....more like 6 months and he says we can't afford two places

I could go for down sizing here and after the holidays rent some where warm for Jan & Feb ( the 2 worst months imo) we could go somewhere different each year..even out of the country......this will be one hard hard sell
the 55+ parks in Fl are the answer you can pick up a "trailer" dirt cheap with the economy in the tank. I spend 5 months in Fl. and the wife and dogs,kids grand kids all show up for a visit each year.
funny how they can find time to visit old pops when Im in fl??

Old 05-24-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
the 55+ parks in Fl are the answer you can pick up a "trailer" dirt cheap with the economy in the tank. I spend 5 months in Fl. and the wife and dogs,kids grand kids all show up for a visit each year.
funny how they can find time to visit old pops when Im in fl??
What about hurricanes??? Usually trailers don't fare well

Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 PM

176 posts, read 522,742 times
Default Test the Waters First!

If I were you I'd do a trial run. Go South for 6 months but don't sell your place back home.

See if it's all it's cracked up to be and then decide what to do.

From what I can tell from afar, there's an awful lot of property for sale in FL - all price ranges.

So, test the waters first! Then decide. That's my advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement