Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 AM

16 posts, read 76,454 times

Advertisements

My roommate and I will be moving to the RI area in spring from Texas, and would like to select an area which will be safest for two single women to live alone. We've read the statistics about the state, and we know the pros and cons of the taxes, etc. But the heat of Texas is killing us, and are willing to trade the extreme summer for an extreme winter.
We both love history, the old buildings and sort, and having both been to England (which we love), we think the New England area suits us better than Texas. Once again, just too hot here.
I've seen we should avoid South Providence and places such as Silver Lake. And I have read that the Eastside and East Providence are more safe. Are there any more specific locations one can offer? Is Pawtucket okay? Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks...Azaria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,911,147 times
I think you're on the right track although I wouldn't characterize our winters as extreme. For New England, our winters are mild, usually 30s to 40s. I found Austin to have cold winters temperature wise. Winter was much shorter there, however. Here, the cold can last 6 mos. Today, it's in the 80s.

Parts of Pawtucket are better than others; Fairlawn, Oak Hill, are OK. Parts of Darlington OK. I wouldn't too much about safety in RI as long as you stay out of ghetto areas such as South Providence, etc. For lower costs, try rentals in Cranston, Warwick, East Providence, etc. Slightly suburban areas tend to be safer.

Areas can be variable within a town so the best thing to do is post again with a specific address so we can vet it. Obviously, there's usually a reason for a low rent, so expect to pay a good price for a decent place.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I suppose not extreme winters, but extreme for us! We were all in shock when we managed 6 inches of snow. Just doesn't happen too frequently here. Winter is very short, and the temps usually stay above freezing. The summer is too much though, today we will hit over 100, again as well as tomorrow. No rain, 100+ temps, very tired of these summers! 80's sound perfect!!
We are coming up to RI end of July, so we'll visit the areas you suggested and also get a feel for the areas we might like. We are trying to decide on how much to pay for rent, as here rent might be slightly cheaper, and it is hard without knowing the cost of utilities added as well. Here we pay rent plus utilities and we are just under $1200 for all of that.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:33 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
It truly depends on what kind of environment you want - are you looking for a walking city with decent transportation - then that's Providence. If you are more car-based, then you can be anywhere - Wickford in North Kingstown is a wonderful location - filled with history and the village is quite walkable, although to go anywhere, you truly need a car. Public transportation is geared for those who work in Providence. Warwick has its good areas, and the same with Cranston but I personally don't have much use for them - nothing special, just a city/urban feel.

If you're looking for country, there's Coventry, W. Greenwich, South Kingstown, the southern half of North Kingstown and most of South County. Narragansett is a bit pricey but if you're a beach lover, it's got it.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:38 PM

You could find a nice place for 1200 or so. I'd start out looking on the East Side if you want to be near Providence. Don't forget, if you can do without AC in the summer, you will only be looking at 6 mos of heating. In Texas, you'd AC most of the year. Electric and water are more expensive in TX than here. What you won't get here is as much that's new - you will get historic.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Historic is perfect! Currently we live in a house built in 1915 and I love it. Hardwood floors, antique doorknobs, the house is just old. I don't care for modern housing. I work from home, so I would prefer to live in a historic house, helps with the work.
Okay, good to know about the utilities. I've stayed in England through summers and lived without AC so most likely could do without it...not positive, but most likely. And yes, we run them from about 6-7 months here.
I have a vehicle but my roommate doesn't, so I think somewhere that she can find public transporation would be ideal.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 AM

Public transport is easy on the East Side as well as shopping districts. Downtown is either walking distance (depending on exactly where you are) or a 5-10 minute bus ride.

I would avoid the Mt Hope area west of Hope St. although area around Miriam Hospital going north is OK into Oak Hill which is part of Pawtucket. Parts of Fox Point can be dicey. Don't get too close to Shea High School in Pawtucket.
Check the Providence Plan website for info on neighborhoods.

There are loads of students living on the East Side bet. Brown, RISD, J& W, etc.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:05 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
If you're looking for older homes, check the Catholic Triangle on the west side of Providence, near LaSalle Academy. You can find some really teriffic 2 family older homes. Look along Smith Street and not Chalkstone. It's only a short walk into the city (I used to walk to/from work near the train station) but there's also frequent buses. The neighborhood is quiet for the most part. Stay Huxley and west - do not --repeat--do not go west of Huxley as those homes are rented by PC kids. I have friends on Huxley and we lived on Hilltop and Rankin. Great housing and fantastic neighborhoods. You should have no problem renting some nice 2 and 3 bedrooms below your price.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 AM

688 posts, read 2,135,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaria View Post
Historic is perfect! Currently we live in a house built in 1915 and I love it. Hardwood floors, antique doorknobs, the house is just old. I don't care for modern housing. .
You will start to care for modern housing quickly when you're sitting in your beautiful old place and the cold sneaks in. I understand the draw historic houses have but be mindful of certain disadvantages. No insulation, old wooden windows and fireplaces translate into headaches in the wintertime. Gas company or the oil man will be happy though. Heating a historical home will add a considerable cost to your monthly expenses.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 AM

66 posts, read 220,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaria View Post
Historic is perfect! Currently we live in a house built in 1915 and I love it. Hardwood floors, antique doorknobs, the house is just old. I don't care for modern housing. I work from home, so I would prefer to live in a historic house, helps with the work.
Okay, good to know about the utilities. I've stayed in England through summers and lived without AC so most likely could do without it...not positive, but most likely. And yes, we run them from about 6-7 months here.
I have a vehicle but my roommate doesn't, so I think somewhere that she can find public transporation would be ideal.
I guess it all depends on what you consider a comfortable temperature. I found that high 80s in Arizona was very comfortable - no humidity....

Here, it was in the high 80s yesterday and very humid. It feels sticky and consequently somewhat warmer than the actual temperature.

I'm also going to chime in that the Catholic triangle and several parts of the East Side would be great for you. Edgewood and Pawtuxet Village and also really charming little places to find historic apartments and people tend to really like it there. Nice, walkable little village at the heart of it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island